New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Rifles BACK Into the USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going hunting in Alberta in the fall, and I understand the routine for getting rifles into Canada from the USA.

However, what will I face in getting my rifles home again?? Do I have to have them viewed by US Customs before departure, or...???

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not had trouble getting the rifle back into the USA. The U.S. Customs folks seem to sometimes have an interest in seeing the Canadian registration paperwork, perhaps to "verify" that they are your rifles and not new purchases??

I did stop on one occassion (on a drive to Alberta) and "registered" my rifles on the U. S. side at Customs just to be sure but I was treated fairly poorly by the U. S. Customs folks... I felt like they thought I was a pain-in-the-ass... I stopped that process and just register and sign the Canadian form on the Canadian side.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
You should take your rifles to a US Customs location well before your trip. A Customs official will want to see the gun and verify the serial number. He will give you a form to take with you. I forget the form's official number. Without it, US Custom's can claim you purchased the guns outside the USA and charge you import duty.

When I went to Manitoba last fall, I brought 2 rifles, the scopes, my gsp, camera and rangefinder into the customs house. They will issue a form for anything that has a serial number. Fill out a seperate form for each one.

Coming back, no one questioned my ownership, but it was cheap insurance, just in case.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Customs Form 4457

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been back and forth from Alberta twice by Air only...and there are no issues I am aware of as far as getting guns back into the USA. You will have to fill out a Canadian Govt (and keep your copy with you at all times... on your person.. even while hunting with you License) form detailing you guns (rifles)...hand guns and other some types of firearms are a problem.

We fly into Edmonton via Northwest unsure about anything else...jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote