Notify
Tools

Note to RMK
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

quote:
He weigh's in at 50kg that's about 110lb for you yanks that refuse to move with the rest of the world and go metric
That'd be 110.22927 lb. to be exact for our metrically challenged friends. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savage49494:
Bakes,

quote:
He weigh's in at 50kg that's about 110lb for you yanks that refuse to move with the rest of the world and go metric
That'd be 110.22927 lb. to be exact for our metrically challenged friends. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Ah, you can keep your centimeters and your kilograms. I like to be moving along at a pretty good clip when I'm driving "70". And the day we start buying gasoline by the liter, we'll still be paying the gallon price, like in your countries.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I was in the USA, attending a rock concert.

I started talking to some stoner dudes, and I told them I was from Canada.

They said "Cool man...We love Canada. You can drive 100 miles an hour on the highway there!"

I said "Uhhhh...That's 100 km an hour...about 50 miles an hour."

They responded "No shit? That's why everyone was driving so slow! We just thought everyone else was chicken!" [Big Grin]

I love the metric system. I grew up with both systems still in use, so I'm familiar with both, but I'd take metric anyday.

The only non metric measurement I use is oven temperatures, and all the construction guys still use the Imperial system. But doing fractions are a bitch compared to centimeters [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Its funny, I grew up with metric. When I got into fishing I started talking about 6lb line and "I caught a 5lb flathead" etc. When I got into shooting, I started talking about fps and MOA,.224 and .308 (I still say 6.5 instead of .264 [Razz] ).
I buy my petrol by the litre (97 cents per litre thanks very much [Eek!] )and measure things in cm/mm. If I'm hunting then that pig is 70 yards away. If I'm at work then my dog picked up the intruder at 70 meters. [Confused]
Its a funny old world [Big Grin]

Bakes

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Folks, I don't think Leif was asking for censorship, at all! his post may have been better sent dirrectly to RMK, but all he was asking was that RMK use some manners, on his own! I don't find that to be an unreasonable request,and not anything like censorship, but a simple request for common courtesy, nothing more!

I find that when a person has to use profanity, it is because he really has nothing to say anyone wants to hear, so to be noticed, he has to shock! IMO, that is a poor substitute for saying something of subtance!

Mike375 is right in his thinking that censorship is not good, but, again,IMO, he seized the opertunity to bend the meaning of lief's post to comply with his own ajenda. Mike would be the first to say, wording has meaning, and he above all, knows bending another's words to fit something it was not intended to convey is not right, (read "OUT OF CONTEXT"). That is the same as censorship. When you don't like the meaning, you make it look, to others, like it said something it did not!

RMK, or anyone else, who uses foul languague on a public forum, is simply hurting himself, because most people will never know if his posts have any value, because he will, most times, simply be ignored. That is the case with RMK, it seems, as I've seen reference to him, and his potty mouth, on many forums. In the end, ha has only hurt himself, for many people who see his Moniker, simply skip it! [Roll Eyes]

[ 09-10-2003, 00:42: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
Mike,

Are trying to be post-modern and "deconstruct" everything you hear? That works very well in the English Lit. department, but not in real life. I meant what I wrote, every word of it. I think an objective observer would find little resemblance between my point and the one you are arguing with.

H. C.

Mike is the master of circular logic. I enjoy watching him become entraped in his own twisted arguments.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't have kids but I can appricate that many here do...I do not find Leif's or Tony's request unreasonable at all but I do wonder why being civil seems to be such a big deal to others or the request was treated with such outright hostility in some quarters...

I curse with the rest of the guys at times, but I try to refrain myself when women and kids are present as I am sure most folks here do. We do have a lot of freedom on these forums, but with freedom is a degree of responiblity surely?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote