Find
Notify
Tools

2005 South Texas Buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I made my annual trip down to LaSalle county this year and had an excellent time in the south Texas brasada. On the second afternoon of the trip I asked to be dropped off at a little used tower blind, the Conejo Tank blind, to hunt a high horned buck that the ranch manager had seen in the area. No one likes this blind much because it is situated on a tank dam (a tank is a man made pond for those of you not from Texas) and the shooting is on the longish side with clearings in the brush and senderos starting at over 100 yards from the stand.

The action was slow until 3:30 when a three year old 145 class ten point buck worked his way out on a south sendero. I watched him quite awhile before I turned and noticed 3 bucks in a clearing around 350 yards away.
Glassing these bucks I received a start when I noticed the high horn buck among them. I let him work in to around 300 yards and when he turned broadside, I shot him through the shoulders with my Hill Country Rifle in .300 Weatherby. By the time I got to him it was dark but what a surprise, he was a great old buck, 6.5 years old, a clean ten point with over 42" of mass measurements and scoring 153 B&C points. A great old trophy I will admire in my study for years to come!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! 42 inches of mass is impressive indeed.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on making a tough shot and taking a super buck. I really like the height of the rack and the mass at the bases.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Deer. thumb
I really like "High" horned Whitetail Deer. Cool

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil! That is a lovely buck.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That's a dandy!

Deer like that are why I'm looking for my next ranch in that area.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice deer and also a good shot too. Congratulations!!

May I ask..what scope, bullet combo you are using? Also some details on your HCR rifle.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sendero300,
My HCR is built on a classic Model 70 action with a 26" Krieger barrel, #5 contour in a McMillan stock. I have mounted a Kahles TDS 3x9 scope on Talley bases and rings with 8x40 screws replacing the factory setup. I am shooting Weatherby 180 grain SP bullets since the boys at HCR were shooting .22" with it. It's a fun rig and accurate!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking buck! I'm going to fly back to TX next week and try my luck in Hebronville.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Thats an awesome looking deer, I love mass, it is so hard to find.

Congrats

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7, I will be trying my luck in the great brush country of S. Texas next week as well. Will probably be 20 miles or so to your west toward Laredo on Hwy 359. Good luck and perhaps our rut will be heating up by then. An acquaitance brought by his 193 class double drop to show off yesterday. It was taken in Atascosa county. Kinda made my neck swell a little.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muygrande,

Good luck on your hunt. I'll be about 10 miles West of town on FM 3073. I'm also on a lease in the panhandle and will get to hunt it again for two days around Christmas, so I'm hoping to do some good. I should have negotiated my hunting airfare back to Texas into my relocation package; three round trip flights this month. OUCH!!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, a very nice massive, high rack trophy. Yes, a 5" average on mass measurements is pretty impressive. Matt will be proud of your work with his/your rifle! LaSalle is putting out some impressive numbers as usual. Congrats.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lhook, what county will you be hunting is the panhandle. I hunt some in Hardeman along the Pease/Red River bottoms. Good luck on your hunt- you should be working up some pretty impressive air miles!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

Lovely Texas buck. Impressive mass.

Congrats,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful buck!!! Congrat's!

Huntr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Lhook, what county will you be hunting is the panhandle. I hunt some in Hardeman along the Pease/Red River bottoms. Good luck on your hunt- you should be working up some pretty impressive air miles!

I hunt in Dickens County. Some friends and I got a lease on the Pitchfork Ranch this year.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I hunt in Dickens County. Some friends and I got a lease on the Pitchfork Ranch this year.

Let us know how that works out for you. I looked there at one time but could not get a group together.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I asked to be dropped off at a little used tower blind,...shooting is on the longish side with clearings in the brush and senderos starting at over 100 yards from the stand.
Hey Bwanamrm, Congratulations. Looks like you selected a fine Stand for the rifle you had. I also prefer to go to the "little used" or "not used at all" Stands.

Great Trophy which will bring back some fine memories for you as the years go by.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Great buck! Congratulations.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Me gusto su venado. Muy bueno!

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote