THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Nosler 6.5mm 120 ballistic performance on deer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 6.5mm 120 ballistic performance on deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shot a 4 x 3 at a little over 300 yards with a 6.5 x 64 mm (6.5 x 270 win) using a 6.5mm 120 gr. ballistic tip bullet leaving the barrel at about 3150 fps. Bullet hit behind the shoulder (broadside) about midway between top and bottom. The bullet destroyed one lung. Part of the bullet deflected up and broke the spine. Another part deflected back and went through the liver and into the paunch. This was a one shot kill by the way. It seems that the bullet went 3 different directions once inside, or 3 fragments of the bullet went in 3 different directions.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 grains,
I used the same bullet at about 2,800 fps out of a 6.5x55 to take 2 small mule deer bucks and 3 antelope. all were one shot kills. On some animals the bullet exited on some it didn't. It made a real mess of their lungs. I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than deer or antelope.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is one of the deadliest bullets made. It is my bullet of choice for my 6.5-06AI at about 3000 fps. I don't drive them too hard. I have never had a deer take more than 2 steps regardless of where they are hit. Yes, they do damage, but so far ~10 deer, the damage is all internal with almost no meat damage. I also use them in my 6.5-284 and 6.5x55 with great success. I use Hornady 129s or 125 Partitions in the 264 Win mag because I drive them faster.

I will also say that I am NOT a Ballistic Tip fan except for this single instance. None of the others I have tried seem to perform as well.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish every deer/antelope hunter on this forum would read this thread. The 6.5mm BT, when fired at around 3000 fps is a deadly, effective bullet.

As a much younger man, I shot a deer with one from a .264 WM, at around 3600 fps. The deer never took a step, but I only salvaged about 1/2 the meat from that animal (shot broadside in the shoulder).

I'm glad it only took me one time at age 15 to learn this lesson: Ballistic tips, high velocity, and big game don't mix. I know they're VERY accurate most of the time, but I'll gladly give up 1/2 MOA of accuracy for a bullet that is better suited for higher velocity. I only shoot Partitions now at big game.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We've taken a couple of does with that bullet out of my .264 , driven to 3400 fps at the muzzle . They will do the job if you are careful to keep your shots away from the shoulder ; and no doubt at their best for open country shooting ..........

[ 10-31-2003, 02:22: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I got two friends who used this bullet for roe bucks and are very happy with it's performance.

It gives a fantastic reaction, most roe bucks drops on the spot. My friends are prefering shots in the area between neck and shoulder. I guess that 2900 to 3100 is the best velocity for this bullet. The calibers are 6,5-284 Norma and the 6,5X55.

I hope nosler will launch a accubond in 130-140 grains

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 mm is my primary hunting caliber. I think it is the most efficient caliber out there. The Swedes had their act together back in the 1890s with the 6.5 x 55.

The 120 grain Ballistic Tip is very effective, and no one who has used it will argue that. What they will argue is their definition of effective. ( How much meat loss they experienced or that is acceptable).

In all my uses of the ballistic tip if the MV is kept to 2700 or less, the amount of meat loss declines dramatically. The trajectory does not suffer that much because of the high BC and SD.

A 125 grain Partition would be a good substitute if meat loss is a concern at all, with the ballistic tip.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TrademarkTexan: I'm glad it only took me one time at age 15 to learn this lesson: Ballistic tips, high velocity, and big game don't mix.

I didnt know you were 16! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 100gr at 3,000fps from my 6.5x55. I recover them from small deer shot front on or big deer shot at worse than broadside. Below are some of the recovered bullets. They generaly weigh about 50gr and are a good regular but jagged mushroom.

You fire on of these at the vital area of the biggest fallow you can get in the South East and it dies. I have 100% confidence in them.

[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=67781&c=500&z=1"]  - [/url]

Ps there may be some 90gr 6mm ones in this lot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I would rather have those accubonds in 110-115gr, as I only shoot small to medium sized big game with them.
Were I to shoot larger game I would move up to a larger caliber...

Never mind, there will still be somebody willing to argue with success...

regards,

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Montero

The accubonds in 270(140), 7mm (160)and 30(200) are quite heavy for the caliber. If the 6,5 accubond weight is 140 grains it will have beautiful BC and SD. The reason why 6,5X55 and 7X57 work soo fine on larger game is the fantastic penetration, a result of high SD.

A good reason is that a 140 grain would be better suited for faster calibers like 6,5-284. 6,5-06, 264 win or 6,5X65 [Eek!] Annother good reason is that would also be legall as class 1 (the limit to use a caliber for fallow deer, redstag, moose, bear, wolf, wildboar) rifle in Sweden, Norway [Big Grin] [Razz]

I rather shoot heavy bullet for the caliber in a bit slover velocity than flimsy light bullets in a high speed.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
A wise man said ones �use the bullet that when everything goes wrong will still kill the animal"

A lot of you guys, in my opinion do not use enough bullet for the game......

Selecting a bullet that will only kill the animal with broadside shots when no bones are hit is plain foolishness.

In Scandinavian countries we have pretty good experience with for instance the 6,5 Swe on large critters and the reason it works is because we use heavy for the caliber premium bullets.

I guess your deer is not easier to kill than our..
[Confused]

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I been shooting the 120 gr Speer SP in one of my Sako 6.5 x 55's. I found that it performs pretty much like the 130 gr SP Speer out of a 270. I shot a couple of carabou with it, worked fine. They shoot well and they are cheap. Since I hunt in a lot of places, a 125 gr Nosler Partiton makes more sense but, at the time I loaded those I didn't have any Noslers on hand. I made those loads up for White Tails in Connecticut, where I use to live. I never did like boattail bullets. I don't use them except for one bullet and its a 210 gr Barnes X BT out of a 338 Winchester Mag. That is a whole different thing. With the 6.5 just about any bullet is going to do ok, and most will do better than ok. Most of the time, I shoot a 156 or 160 gr. Bullets out of my 6.5's

[ 11-02-2003, 04:58: Message edited by: George Semel ]

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer 150:
A wise man said ones ”use the bullet that when everything goes wrong will still kill the animal"

A lot of you guys, in my opinion do not use enough bullet for the game......

Selecting a bullet that will only kill the animal with broadside shots when no bones are hit is plain foolishness.

In Scandinavian countries we have pretty good experience with for instance the 6,5 Swe on large critters and the reason it works is because we use heavy for the caliber premium bullets.

I guess your deer is not easier to kill than our..
[Confused]

A deer requires a bullet to penetrate to or through a vital area. That's it.

If you take shots that might need tons of penetration then a more penetrative bullet will offer more margin.

If you shoot from a rest or sticks at stationary deer near broadside or front on then extra penetration offers absolutely nothing of value. This is how we are brought up to stalk deer in the UK and is why sales of hard bullets are very low.

I don't know how you made the leap that these bullets don't work if you a shoulder or a rib - that is not the case.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 6.5 as my primary deer caliber, from 6.5/243 imp to 264 mag. my best luck is with the discontinued 120 nosler solidbase. In my opinion, a much better hunting bullet then the BT!
If anyone has any sitting on their shelf they want to sell, please drop me a note.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

I loaded up (down?) some 120 NBTs for my 12 y.o. nephew to use on the youth hunt this past weekend. 260 rem, 21" VVCG Encore barrel, 31.2 gns of H4895 sent them out at only 2300 fps. Sighted the rifle 2" high at 100 yds to hold dead-on out to 200 yards. I'd heard NBTs should still expand as low as ~1900 fps, and 2300 fps mv keeps it above 1900 to 200 yards.

He shot a 4 pointer at 146 yards on Saturday. Quartering away shot, we found the core in the (wrecked) off-shoulder (est. 45 gns, about like a 22 LR slug), solid base jacket must have exited because there was an exit wound. Deer went about 40 yards, no follow-up shot required.

One proud Uncle,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSJ: sent you an email...Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Guys:

I haven't been able to get the 120 Ballistic Tip to shoot in my 6.5-06. I find this odd as all the other calibers I own, generally prefer them, on paper anyway. After fooling around quite a bit, I setteled on the Sierra 120 Grain Spitzer. Shot an antelope buck in Wyoming this September with the Sierra. Bullet hit at about 120 yds, velocity was right at 3170 fps. The recovered bullet weighed 35.5 grains, no exit.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote