THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    (PICTURES) Any doubt about 110 TSX in 270?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(PICTURES) Any doubt about 110 TSX in 270?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I just thought I'd offer another picture. My brother called my cell this evening telling me about his first successful hunt of the season. Actually, it's his 3rd hunt. He's been busy. Anyway, he shot a yearling doe at ~ 55 yards with his 270/110 Barnes TSX combo. Since so many of us are interested in bullet performance, I asked him to send a picture of the exit hole.

He purposely aimed for the high shoulder/scapula. She was quartering away. You can see the exit hole on the right neck base/shoulder transition region. She dropped obviously. He said his rest couldn't have been more solid.

No worries about lead fragments in the meat and dying this time next year from lead overdose when he eats the backstraps!

There were 3 other mature does on the other side of the beanfield at 280 yards, but he only had one doe tag with him. He said he'll email another pic soon with him and the rifle and the deer. I'll update the thread when it comes in.

So far, I cannot find a reason to not use a 110 Barnes from a 270 on a deer. Seems to kill just fine. Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Doc,
This is identical to what the 110gr TSX does out of my 15" Contender in 6.8 SPC. It is a good bullet IMO for the 6.8 or any other 270 for that matter. Have you tried the 110 Accubond yet or the TTSX?

Josh

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Josh, I have used the 110 TTSX. I started a thread back in early October when I posted my TX antelope kill with it from one of my 270s.

SEE HERE.

I have not tried the 110 Accubond but had intended to. Don't know for sure yet if I will.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'd say it definitely did the job.

While I have never been a big proponent of Barnes bullets as I generally use moderate-velocity cartridges, I must confess that the 7mm 120 grain TTSX is starting to win me over.

I've used it on a number of hogs in a 7mm Bullberry, a cartidge which pushes the TTSX at a sedate 2640 fps from a 20" barrel. I'd have to look back in my notes, but I think I've now taken 8 piggies with that bullet along with one coyote.

I was originally unimpressed with the performance of the TTSX on the first hog, but others since then have been textbook. On that first one, the hog was facing me at something over 170 yards, and when he put his head down to feed, I planted a bullet into the juncture of the neck/shoulder with an entrance through the spine. That quick impact with bone slowed it down enough to minimize expansion. On the other hand, subsequent impacts on other hogs, where the bullet enters through the shoulder or ribcage, provided much better performance. Hence, wound channels have been quite impressive.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be great to see pictures from the interior of the chest cavity and the outside after skinning.

Barnes seems to have a real winner with their TSX products!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm am as bad as anyone when it comes to fascination with ballistic values and curves. So light for caliber bullets - assuming adequate penetration, reliable expansion and no jacket/core separations - are certainly a fascination. I mean, just look at all those 0's in the velocity numbers Wink

The Barnes (T)TSX are the perfect candidates for this game: they offer deep penetration and absolutely dote on high velocity (the more the merrier).

The one area where the light for caliber bullets suffer is in susceptibility to wind.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
It would be great to see pictures from the interior of the chest cavity and the outside after skinning.

Well, that is a bit much to ask from my brother. He could care less about bullet weight retention, fragmentation, loss of petals, etc. He likes it ultra simple: pull the trigger, drop the game. Any details are a waste of time.

Plus, he is very spoiled. Not far from his hunting location is a butcher that does everything, including gutting. All he has to do is kill a deer and drop it off. He's not gutted a deer since he was in Ohio.

I think that how the heart, lung area look after a bullet has penetrated through is the last thing on his mind. Sorry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc

Check out the exit on my TSX, a 7x57 140. Entrance was just in front of the hip.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bet he didn't run too far! Cool

Nice buck. How come you don't look happy??

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice buck. How come you don't look happy??

Must be because he ruined the Euro mount Smiler

Actually, I would Euro mount that one and have a story piece to tell about the awesome penetration.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
jstevens, that is an awsome picture!

Of course, I'd change my story and tell everyone I was aimin right between the eyes!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see any reason why one couldn't use it on deer.

Do know what vel he's shooting them at.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Don't know velocity but if I recall it is over 56.0 IMR4350 and his bbl is almost 26" long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:

Well, that is a bit much to ask from my brother. He could care less about bullet weight retention, fragmentation, loss of petals, etc. He likes it ultra simple: pull the trigger, drop the game. Any details are a waste of time.

Plus, he is very spoiled. Not far from his hunting location is a butcher that does everything, including gutting. All he has to do is kill a deer and drop it off. He's not gutted a deer since he was in Ohio .

I think that how the heart, lung area look after a bullet has penetrated through is the last thing on his mind. Sorry.

Is he hunting a private game farm or is he hunting in another state as the last time I checked rifles were illegal here in Ohio? And gun season doesn't start till Dec 1.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yea, he's a total violator of the law. thumb I keep telling him that he's going to get caught one day.

I'm kidding. He moved back to South Carolina over a year ago. But he is hunting private land.

Completely legal in South Carolina.

If you reread my statement that YOU quoted, it should be clear that he is no longer in Ohio:

quote:
Plus, he is very spoiled. Not far from his hunting location is a butcher that does everything, including gutting. All he has to do is kill a deer and drop it off. He's not gutted a deer since he was in Ohio .

The deer in the pic is not dressed.
His butcher does the gutting.
He has not gutted a deer since he was in Ohio. Maybe I should have written that he's not gutted one since he left Ohio.

Anyway, you get the picture. Cool