New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Elk Zones 95, 96, 97
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know if I'll get a bonus tag in any of these zones but I've of late come into an opportunity to hunt out there should I get a tag. Basically a friend of a friend.

I was curious if anyone could comment on the zones? Pressure, high or low? Habitat? A lot of road hunters? Are there any roads?

I've never been to the area but have been to the area west of there a bit so I know a little of that terrain.

I went for my first elk hunt in New Mexico last year and learned a lot for having done it. Just trying to learn a little about these zones before going.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed,

It looks like about half the area you are looking at is in Wilderness. A non-resident must have a guide to hunt in wilderness areas. You don't have to go to the extent of hiring a professional guide...any resident can serve as your guide. Is your "friend of a friend" able to act as your guide if you plan on hunting in the Wilderness?

I don't have any knowledge of elk hunting in that area, but the Wind River Range is beautiful!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed;
I don't think you'll be running into road hunters or very much pressure since most all of those areas are in designated "Wilderness" (You need a licensed guide or resident [with permit] to be with you in "Wilderness areas")
Yes there are Bull and Cow "Leftover" permits available for those areas. Permits for Bull or Cow run $410.00 + $10.00 for consevation stamp + $10.00 for "Special Elk Stamp" that is required to hunt in those areas.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I think my friend can serve in that capacity although I don't think I'd necessarily need it...rules.

It sounds pretty favorable as I don't really want to put up with too much pressure if possible.

My New Mexico elk hunt last year was probably influenced by a preceeding deer hunt more than any other factor. There were so many people out that week chasing deer that it seemed to adversely affect the elk hunting for several days thereafter. Having only five days to hunt made it tough as the first few days the elk just weren't to be found.

I should probably look into what else is going on during the duration of the season, Oct. 1 to Oct. 31 as I recall. I'm leaning toward the latter half to have snow for tracking.

Thanks for the replies.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote