New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mmSAUM vs others?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of getting a long range rig, and and wondering what these new utra, short magnums and their kin are like.

WSM, STW, SAUM, RUM...

Which has prodused the best results, the flattest shooting?

What caliber; .270, 7mm or .300?

Thanks

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 30/06 will shoot long range you have to be more specific as to what the game will be and how far will you need adequate performance?

If the rifle is going to be a long barreled one with some weight to it then the 300 and 338 RUM's would be the latest of many big magnums.

If the rifle were to be handy then of the new cartridges it seems that the 270 WSM and 300 WSM are popular.

All cartridges are of similar "accuracy" when things are made right.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270, 7mm and 300 WSM are in 308 Winchester style rifles and the case capacities are a little less than the 7mm Remington and 300 Winchester. The 7mm SAUM and 300 SAUM are little smaller in case capacity than the WSMs.

If this forum is representative, then the two Remington SAUMs are deader than dead.

In maximum handloads the WSMs are probably about 100 f/s slower than the 7mm Remington and 300 Winchester and about 150 f/s faster than the 30/06 and 250 to 300 f/s fastser than the 308.

The 7mm, 300, 338 and 375 RUMs are 375 H&H length cartridges and so fit the same rifles as the 375 H&H. Their case capacity is a bit larger than the 300 Weatherby but smaller than the calibres based on the 378 Weatherby case. Actually, about midway between the 300 Weatherby (or 375 H&H Improved) case capacity and the 378 Weatherby case capacity.

In general I would say a person buying say a new 7mm or 300 WSM would have bought a 7mm Rem or 300 Winchester if the WSMs were not available.

The RUM buyer would have probably bought a 300 Wby or 340 Wby if the RUMs had not been available.

Basically, the RUMs are the biggest case that will readily fit a Rem 700 or Model 70 action. They don't have the pizzaz, flash and bang of say a 30/378 but the rifles are much cheaper and so is the brass.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I already have a 7mm rem & .300WBY, both are "handy" sporter rifles. (both are Sauer 202's), so I was after something heavy and cumbersome for shooting prone at far off big game.

...Sounds like I'm not missing out on much not having paid attention to these new flashy super duper cartridges? [Roll Eyes]

[ 03-29-2003, 00:19: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express, if you are after something big and heavy for ACCURATE long range hunting, and since you are in Italy I suggest you take a look at the Accuracy International rifles in 338 Lapua, or the Blaser LRS in 338 Lapua. Both are factory rifles and thus probably easier to get in Italy than a custom job. It will take something of this genre to better your 300 WBY Mag.
Let us know what you decide.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I bought a Winchester M70 Stainless in 270 WSM last fall, because I wanted something smaller than my 30-06 and something a little bigger than my 25-06.

The 270 WSM is about 200fps faster than a standard 270 Win.I don't see that it is much shorter ( 24" barrel) That much lighter ( 7.5lbs)than a standard Winchester M70 in 270 caliber. Maybe a short action is more accurate. But that is debatable.

I figured if I was buying a 270 caliber gun, why not buy the one capable of the extra 200 fps. Brass and factory shells are readily available in stores around here at reasonable prices. Cheaper than the Weatherby brass and shells.

The WSM are easier to reload than the belted magnums ( No belt). Use slightly less powder for almost the same velocity as the belted magnums ( around 10% less powder). Which supposedly gives you less recoil for a given velocity. Again debatable.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I remain sweet upon my 7SAUM. It offers great performance in a tidy package and is very accurate. Recoil is suprisingly mild also(mostly due to stock design/construction and a Decelerator pad).

It is not the most capacious short action offering,but it melds numerous positive attributes,to yield a superb end result package IMHO.

My 7SAUM out of a 22" tube,will push my favored 120gr .284" projectiles at 3350fps and do so in a 7.5lb package(3.5-10x Leupie on board).

I shoot 7mm's of both lesser and greater capacities,but the SAUM version is no slouch....................

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
I remain sweet upon my 7SAUM. It offers great performance in a tidy package and is very accurate. Recoil is suprisingly mild also(mostly due to stock design/construction and a Decelerator pad).

It is not the most capacious short action offering,but it melds numerous positive attributes,to yield a superb end result package IMHO.

I would agree. I have no plans for a SAUM but if I were to get such a thing it would be the SAUM for it's less radical shoulder angle.
My 7SAUM out of a 22" tube,will push my favored 120gr .284" projectiles at 3350fps and do so in a 7.5lb package(3.5-10x Leupie on board).

I shoot 7mm's of both lesser and greater capacities,but the SAUM version is no slouch....................

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well a lot of us have .300 Magnums but can we hit anything well in a vital spot at long range is the fair question? Not all sporting rifle configured 300 Mags group all that well at long range nor does the typical rifleman have the sighting, range, wind and alitude estimating gear to make an informed shot.

What I am trying to say in english is that a rifle like what Boyd Heaton has or maybe a little lighter would do things coupled with a pack board full of gear that ordinary rifles and scopes will not.

Who recalls Jac Weller, an author from NJ who hunted in the Rockies with a 300 H&H M 70 Bull Gun? Now there was a man's man. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote