THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Anyone hunt mountian sheep this year ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone hunt mountian sheep this year ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Alex,
That sounds like your friends had a good trip to the tat area. I got out the day before season and saw 15 rams. A small single , a band of six, and a band of 8 . I got a good look at them all opening day and took mine out of the band of eight. It was 36 by 13 1/2 and 8 years old. A good average ram.
How is the vaseux lake herd of sheep, I took a ram out of there in 89?

Posts: 48 | Location: Yukon | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the ram this year and in 89. Unfortunatly, the Vaseux herd had a bad die off 4 years ago. The heard caught Pasturella from some domestic sheep and they figure 75% of the heard was wiped out. So they closed the season for at least three years to see what would happen. On a good note, last year they had some really high numbers, good birth rate and survival and maybe some overestimating of how many actually died. The local biologists were so impressed with the numbers, they wanted a season for the area. They said it would probably be a full curl or better regular season (10 days) and a few LEH for 3/4 curls. Victoria, however decided not to have a season. This past summer, a large area in the Vaseux creek area was burned by a fire down there. This burning should really improve habitat and hopefully the lambs will have a high survival rate. If there is a season this year it should be real good for at least a few hunters. If it does not open, oh well it will make the heard even bigger and better.

I would like to talk more about hunting in the Yukon, if you want you can send me an email alexbursac@shaw.ca

Talk too you later.

Alex

Posts: 26 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote