New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Wyoming
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been hunting over in Wyoming since October 1st off an on by horseback and foot, going miles upon miles into the Teton Wilderness with a Good Friend who used to be a guide there. He has a few decades of experience hunting there. In my time I have only saw one 6x6, 5 mulies, a few moose, and one dead cow buried up by a grizzly (recent)that was wither killed by that or wolves. (I was dumb enough to look at the carcass) I am seeing less game then when I hunted there two years ago. Oh, the reason I didn't shoot the 6x6 was that I have a cow tag..
Any body have similiar results????

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I actually think that we have more game in Montana than I can ever remember. At least here in SW Montana, maybe the fact that so many of the ranches have sold out to out of state owners which are in turn leased out to outfitters, it may actually be helping numbers. I have no firm evidence to support this, but I have no problem finding any game of any size.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Few years back there were good numbers of deer and elk and Moose. Now the grizz and wolves have pretty much hurt our game population. Above Dubois there are no extra cow/calf tags anymore. Unit 14 for Moose has no permit avalible at all. I visited with the Game Warden and he stated few years back they checked 362 spike elk through the check station, two years ago they checked only seventeen.
It's a sad on going problem here in Wyoming. Seem everyone want to protect the predators.

Last week I seen a large golden eagle take down a yearling antelope. I drove my truck up to the antelope and eagle as fast as I could and spooked the eagle off. The yearling got to his/her feet and walk right up to my truck and stood there for a good ten minutes. I could see blood on both sides off her withers. Once the eagle was long gone the anlelope walked across the road I was on and stood for another five minutes before taking off down a draw at a pretty good pace.

Scratch

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some moose areas have virtually closed, area 9 which used to have two hunting seasons, and about 12 tags,only sold 4 tags this year. Yes, even though many on here, hunters, say that wolves and grizzly have had no effect. I bet other wise.

Duh, simple math, how many moose and elk can 700 wolves and 500 grizlys eat? They hunt and kill 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so how many of the same species do hunters kill? They can only hunt a month or two, sunrise to sunset.
YEs more are killed by hunters becuase more hunters, but the wolves and bears are having a negetive effect. I see fewer and fewer moose and elk calves each year.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I hunted last weekend and saw a 5x5 bull, a nice bull, but I have the cow tag. Saw a few mulies, but no cow elk. I have talked to a few people about who are hunting in areas with large predators and most are saying that cow elk are grouping up into large heards, and moving a few drainages over when wolves come in. I rode most of those drainages and didn't even cut tracks, with the recent snowfall I thought I could at least cut a few larger herds tracks, but still no luck. I will keep hunting and hope for the best.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote