Find
Notify
Tools

My Son's first deer.
 Login/Join

posted
First Deer
By Robert Keith

December 28 seemed like it would never get here. This was the day when my twelve-year-old stepson Evan, his Grandfather J.W. and my brother Sam would set out for West Texas in search of the Trans Pecos Mule Deer. Evan & I had attended the Hunter Safety Course earlier that year at Cabela’s. We also had got our Hunting License, new camo, new boots, we we’re ready. For his birthday Evan received a Youth Thompson Single Shot .223 and was becoming quite the marksman. On a side note for fathers, this also took him away from Play station & X-Box for a while and gave us time to bond. Not an easy task to do with today’s 12 year olds.

Up to this point Evan and my father in law had only Dove hunted. Problem is that during those hunts, I was so busy “hunting”, that I totally missed the joy of being with two people that I adored. After the hunt J.W. said that I seemed different and not as much fun. At the time didn’t think too much of it, just sorry we didn’t get more birds. Add to it, I missed my son getting two wing shots with his single shot .410. My father in-laws words seemed to haunt me though. Weeks later I started to get it. It’s not always about the hunt, but whom you’re with and the memories you share. So made a promise to myself to change and that the upcoming west Texas deer hunt was to be the one I would start with.

In the two years prior to West Texas with J.W. only we had no deer, we had seen many small bucks and many does, but no trophy. “This was the year” I boasted to all. Evan was truly excited about the trip with his new gun and to stalk a monster Mule Deer. On the seven hour trip down we made sure Evan had at least a DVD player and a lot of movies. The trip seemed short because of the excitement and we arrived early evening. After meeting up with two of our friends at the motel we headed for the mesa’s to scout out muleys. Didn’t find any that evening but we did throw up a Pop Up Blind over a bluff thinking we would try our hand at sitting still. Then off to the motel where we got the grill out, cooked steaks, potatoes and talked of muleys. My brother Sam & I hadn’t hunted for over thirty years and unfortunately waited till the passing of our parents to grow close. This was a great opportunity to share with him as well.

The next morning we rose at 4:00 AM. Sam cooked some great Egg & Sausage burritos for everyone and headed out. We arrived just before sunrise and Evan, Sam & I took to the blind in the chilly darkness of the morning. J.W. took to the warmth of the truck and our friends went to the other side of the 1st mesa. As the sun rose we whispered to each other “do you see anything”? But there was only the smoke from our breaths. We sat until 9:00 and we were all a little bored as well as cold, so Evan & I decided to climb the nearby 2nd mesa for a better look around. Sam headed to the truck to join J.W. Worried if Evan could make the steep climb, he and I discussed it, reviewed gun safety, and then agreed we would make the climb. It seemed straight up and all we could do is watch where we stepped. Slowly we put one foot in front of the other and climbed.

After a long 55 minutes we reached the top. We shared the victory of the climb, took a few photos and then radioed J.W. and Sam to make sure they saw us on top. There was a ridge fence about 10 feet from the edge and we made our way down where there was more room. Although having had said, “I’m proud of you” before, it was different this time and I could see it was different for Evan too. After a few waves to our comrades below we set out looking for muleys. We walked along the edge and then cut over to another point of the mesa where we could see more. Although quite the scenic over look at almost 2,000 feet above the lower land, we found nothing and decided to head back to where we made the accent and start down. It was difficult to find the place where we came up so we followed the ridge fence in the direction we had come.

Just as we found it, five deer were heading right at us. We dropped to the ground in our camo clad hoping to get a shot. As the deer got closer they slowed down and dropped their heads to munch. Now at less than 70 yards it was getting real exciting. Evan had never seen muleys and his eyes said it all. Four does were just on the opposite side of the ridge fence from us and one doe was dead ahead of us walking right to us. She got within 40 yards before she got our scent and looked right at us trying to figure out what we were. The others then stopped and looked as well. They didn’t seem to mind us too much and continued eating. The doe ahead of us walked a little closer, closer, now within 25 yards, she froze. Thinking that there might be a big buck with them, we searched the bushes behind the girls. Now our now “doe friend” really began to stare. Whispering with Evan we both agreed no Buck to be found. Minutes passed. My leg now going numb under me, I had to re-position myself. The doe in front of us saw this move and bolted causing the others to as well. Evan & I laughed, got up and then planned our route down. As we started down it was almost more difficult than the accent. Finally at the bottom we high fived and went to join the others. We had a short visit and then back to the motel for a bit of lunch and to discuss new strategies. Three o’clock came quickly and back to the mesa for the evening hunt. When we got to our new spot, Evan was sacked out in the back of the truck. The early morning rise, the climb up the 2nd mesa, and all the excitement had taken its toll on him. The sunset was great and we called it a night, to the motel we went for outdoor cooking and a poker game.

J.W. & Evan hit the bed around 9:30 but Sam & I entertained our friends until 1:30 AM. It was a good game of Texas Hold Em with a few frosty libations and a little help from “Gentlemen Jack” and we called it a night. Needless to say, 5:00 AM came very quickly. No cooking this morning because we were starting too late. Our friends did not want to stir. Sam was under the weather with the “Daniel’s Sickness” consumed at the poker game, so it was just J.W., Evan & I who went out in search muley’s.

A short stop at the gas station and we were off to the mesa’s. Although always optimistic, I mentioned to my comrades “It’s going to be a great day”! J.W. replied, “You always say that”. My reply was as always, “Yeah, but today is going to be the day”! Today was going to be more than that for me. After entering the gate, J.W. & Evan got out and readied their guns, I didn’t. This hunt was going to be about Evan. We drove up the dark road peering out the windows in to the morning darkness. We reached the top of the 1st mesa just in time, as there was just enough light to make things out. It was cold but the heater kept J.W. warm. Maybe too much, for Evan was fast asleep again.
We drove on the backside of the 1st mesa and got out of the truck and walked up two doe, but no buck. We returned to the truck and drove down another side, found two more does but no buck. The sun was up now and we were able to lower the windows. At least I could, J.W. is very cold natured! Evan was still fast asleep in the back. We then drove to where the pop up blind was. It was still a little dark on the West Side of the mesa as we searched the lower ravines. Not seeing anything I suggested to J.W. we go ahead and pick the blind up and he agreed. The commotion of us getting out woke Evan up and he got out as well. We surveyed the area just to be sure we weren’t missing anything. Mule deer blend in so well that they are easily overlooked. We loaded the blind and headed to a new spot on the lower ground.

We were driving down the 1st mesa and were now down on the lower land trying to find the road to turn on when J.W. said hold it! Two muley’s appeared at 2:00 O’clock. We stopped and I pulled up my glasses just as a third muley stepped in to an opening near where we had seen the other two. It was a doe. We could see her easily but not the other two. Evan was awake and alert and thought he saw them a couple mesquite trees over. We got out of the truck… “Evan get your gun ready” I whispered. It is so hard for three bundled up hunters to get out of a truck. We made so much noise that I was sure the deer had bolted. Dodging cactus and trying to be quiet we creep in to the mesquites… around a mesquite, around more cactus…then the two other deer came out of some trees. Through my glasses I saw that the one on the left was a buck, his antlers on the outside of his ears. Without delay I whispered “he’s a good one”! J.W. was on my right and he had his rifle up and spotting the dear through his scope. Quickly I used a Range Finder and said “102 yards, take him Evan”! Not having put my ear protection in, I had to put my fingers in my ear. J.W. being the retired Colonel he is, kept his rifle up to his shoulder for backup. The Buck was standing ideally, one doe just to his right. Time passed… No shot is fired. Just as J.W. was lowering his rifle to see what the hold up was, I too looked at Evan. There he stood with his rifle slung over his shoulder and his fingers in his ears!

J.W. and I at the same time in a loud whisper, “Evan shoot the deer”! Evan had misunderstood, seeing his grandfather shoulder his rifle thought he was going to shoot. Now Evan steadied his rifle like a pro. No “Buck Fever”, Evan squeezed the trigger and his .223 went off. The buck jumped in the air and fell. “You got ‘em son” I whispered. J.W. and I both watched carefully for signs of the buck. Only the doe stood. Then we saw the other doe run out from another direction. We tiptoed back about 50 yards. The other doe decided to leave as well and we watched on… Knowing the buck was hit I tried to call my brother Sam who was nursing his hangover. No reception… I tried again, and again. It rang! “Sam, Evan got a muley, we are waiting to go to him, can you come help me”? Without hesitation Sam replied “I‘m on my way”. Time seem to crawl. We watched and no movement what so ever. We waited 14 minutes and then the three of us started making our way to the downed buck. J.W. and Evan guns ready just in case. Dodging cacti every where, J.W. calls out there he is! The 7-pt. muley lay dead. We approached and confirmed all good!

Next got to get the photo in the field, so I brought out my pocket camera and had Evan hold the buck’s head up. Good note to all, be sure that you take your time to get this once in a lifetime photo. Must remember there is really no need to hurry. All simple rules apply, sun behind you, no tongue out or blood or you can’t use it in the photo contest’s. Where’s the rifle? Where is grandfather? Oh, what about one with my son and me?
Sam arrived just as we were tagging the buck. Although working with a handicap (hangover), Sam insisted on doing the field dressing and before I could go get the trailer and get back, it was all done. We all celebrated a little more and to the motel we went. Quick stop to a car wash to clean up things and we were at the motel deciding on what to do next. We knew we needed to get the deer to a processor preferably one in our county. But there was no locker within 55 miles. Would have been a good thing to plan out in advance. So we loaded up, packed some Ice for the deer in the back of Sam’s truck and headed home. Although still feeling the victory of a successful hunt the loss of sleep and long hours were playing hard on me. Especially for the seven-hour ride home. While J.W. & Evan snoozed I drove which is one of my favorite times to think. It was then that I truly figured what it was all about. My life was blessed when my wife and her two children, and parents came in to my life. To get to introduce my son (we don’t use the stepson thing) to the outdoors, witness his first deer along with his Grandfather and my brother Sam, is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Didn’t matter about “me” or what “I” killed. It was about this moment for which I am blessed to brag about, “my son”.

Big thanks to Bert at Modern Taxidermy and to Jerry Springer our new friend who will always be remembered for his kindness and knowledge.

Captain

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Memories like those will be cherished forever. Congrats to all of you and especially to Evan for making a nice shot and getting his first deer. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
By the way, you can post photos here. Just upload them to photobucket.com or a similar host, copy the image code and paste it into a post here.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by One Captain:
There he stood with his rifle slung over his shoulder and his fingers in his ears!

I'm sorry but I laughed out loud at that one!! That made the story!

Great job Evan!!! Your first deer will always be the best hunt you will ever have! Congratulations!

Great story and well written. Thanks for sharing it.

I've taken the liberty to upload a photo.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote