New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slug guns for whitetail deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Posted this in shotgunning but didn't get much response. Some areas of the US are limited to shotguns and slugs due to various restrictions.

For factory out-of-the-box slug shotguns, what brand do you have, and what is the most accurate one you've ever used?

I'm talking about scope sighted slug guns and really tight groups out to 100 yards.
Remington, Mossberg, Ithaca, Bolt action, pump, semi-auto?

Anyone shoot the new Remington 870 Express Deer gun with the heavy profile cantilever barrel?

What ammo are you using?

Just curious,

Thanks.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am using a Remington 1100. I use the Remington Copper solids. My accuracy is 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I have shot several different slug guns but I like the Remington 1100 the best. JMHO. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a comment here not too long ago from a hunter who uses a Browning rifled barrel and Winchester Partition slugs .He was getting 1" groups at 100yds !!And the Partition slug will perform very well at that distance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a thread for you on slug guns

I used www.boardreader.com to find it and there are others to read also.

My old Ithaka Deerslayer may be obsolete now so I hesitate to mention it. Its a 12 ga with a 20" tube and little or no choke. It was quite useful as a poor mans drilling during the grouse and bear season up north for a long time.

All I used was the standard Foster slug loads of the day in the 60's and 70's. Those slugs only chrono'd a little over 1200 fps from that barrel and the Brenneke's even less.

It has a 2X LER scope on it and used to group in the 2-3" range at 100 yds.

That gun is quite effective at grouse up close with 7 1/2 shot.

I also have an old S&W pump with an 18" barrel that is very accurate at 50 yds with open sights.

The new shotguns with rifling and sabots just have to be better than the old tech. that I have. I have not given this much though in years.

Good luck

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed my Remington 1100 12ga for many years. No deer has survived an impact. My furthest shot with it was 125 yards and it was "right on". Most of my deer were killed a lot closer than that though. Last year's was only 15 yards away.

I use rifled slugs in it.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Rem 870 w/ Hastings heavy deer barrel and Leupold M8-4X scope shoots into 1.5 inches all day long with almost every brand 1250-1500 FPS sabot slug out there. The worst accuracy I get are with the 1900-2000 FPS slugs. My partner's Benelli Super Black Eagle performs about the same, but a helluva lot faster between shots!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a T/C Encore with 20 gage rifled barrel. It will shoot Win Supreme Partition Gold slugs to an 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yds. I do final sight in at 150 yds. Wouldn't think of shooting any farther, but I killed a huge buck at a laser measures 105 yds last year. Works great.
Regards,
Duhawki

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I have a 20ga remington 870 with the rifled barrel with the candlevered mount and I love it.Last season 5 one shot kills using Winchester partition sabot slugs. I tried Remington copper solids and best group was a terrible 10"at 50yds.Winchester shot about a 3" grooup at 50yds.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old rem. 870 sp purchased in about 1990. I bought it before fully rifled slug barrels. It has a rifled choke tube. To date, I have killed about 25 whitetails with this gun, here in Indiana. It is a 12 ga., and loves the old winchester foster slugs[1", 3 shot groups at 50 yds.]. My longest 2 buck kills were at 135 yds. My closest kill was 25 feet. I tried the win. partitions in it, and they were almost as accurate, but 5 times more expensive. The gun has a 1-5x simmons scope on it. Hope it gets to kill another 25 deer, before I have to hang it up.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I forgot, the gun has a cantilever mount on it, and I wouldn't have a slug gun without it[particularly a pump or auto]. If you want to read a good book on slug guns, pick up a copy of Shotgunning for Deer, by Dave Henderson.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out too 100 yards a Red Dot is very, very nice on a slug gun, especially if the deer are moving.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use either a Remington 11-87 (12 ga.)with the cantilever rifled barrel and a scope or a Remington sp-10 (10ga.) with a 20" barrel and rifled sights.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are available used or not, but I have a Browning A-Bolt in 12 guage with the rifled barrel. Purchased it new many years ago. Nice Gun!!

I often wonder if a good smith could duplicate it with a new A bolt Action!!

posted Hide Post
I use a marlin model 512 with federal barnes expander slugs (3/4 oz.) 2" groups @ 100 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
My old Ithaka Deerslayer may be obsolete now so I hesitate to mention it.

I hope it's not obsolete. That would mean that MINE is as well. Wink

I've been shooting an old Deerslayer for 28 seasons now. My dad was one of the first in the area to drill & tap a shotgun to mount a scope. People thought we were crazy back then.

I have the old original Redfield 4X with straight crosshairs (no duplex) still on it. I keep thinking about changing, but nostalgia keeps me sticking with it. Every time I pick up that gun I get some of my absolute best hunting memories...

I shoot "old style" Foster slugs in it, and out to 100 yards or slightly farther, I have complete confidence in it.

I would guess that that gun has easily killed over 100 deer.

I had an 870 with a rifled Hastings barrel that I tried one year. Ended up going back to the Ithaca before the season started. Bought an A-Bolt a few years back, but never even took it out in the woods...

I just love taking that shotgun out hunting. Last season was the first year I didn't hunt with it (hunted a different area, and used a rifle). However, I think next year I'll go back to one of my favorite spots, and take the Deerslayer with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I don't know if they are available used or not, but I have a Browning A-Bolt in 12 guage with the rifled barrel. Purchased it new many years ago. Nice Gun!!

I've got one that I'd actually like to sell.

Nice gun, but as I mentioned above, I just have way too many fond memories in my old Deerslayer to change.

My A-Bolt has the synthetic stock. Anybody have an idea what one is worth in great (but used) condition?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Maverick, which is the smoothbore version of the Mossberg 695. It has a Simmons 1.5-4 on it right now. It will shoot the cheapo Federal foster slugs into 3-5in. at 100yd. I took twelve deer with it this past season, a lot of them running. In all fairness, I have only shot a couple of deer out to 100yd with it (or any shotgun) most have been under 50. Cold Bore, that A-bolt is near worthless, but I would give you fifty bucks for it Big Grin. Actually, I have drooled over several of them at a local gun store the past couple of years. They usually bring about $600. I would love to have one, but just can't make myself spend the money. They are a really nice gun.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Ithaca Deerslayers are fantastic! Especially the "obsolete" older ones. They are sought after guns in many areas. Those that use them, use foster rifled slugs and kill untold numbers of game.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Mossberg makes a very nice fully rifled slug gun with a cantilever scope mount. My neighbor has one that will put the Winchester Supreme slugs into a inch. These setups can be found brand new for well under $400. The best thing about the Mossbergs is the tang/thumb safety. As a dedicated slug gun, I would buy the Mossberg over an 870.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
Cold Bore, that A-bolt is near worthless, but I would give you fifty bucks for it Big Grin.

OK, but at that price, you have to cover the shipping. Razzer Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I,m thinkin' the shipping might be a little steep Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mostly use muzzleloaders during slug seasons and/or shotgun only areas.It's legal here,and in many other places.That said,when I HAVE to use a slug gun,it's a H&R bull barrelled 12 ga-.!2s are on 10 ga blanks,and 20s are on 12 ga blanks,so they're HEAVY.Plus,they've got a chunk of barrel blank in the stock to offset the heavy front.Most are very accurate and CHEAP. Haven't needed a second shot yet,so no disadvantage there.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote