Find
Notify
Tools

Who all has their deer cameras out?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
Anyone have any interesting pictures yet? I've had two cameras out for about 5 days and have filled 3 rolls of pics so far. I've developed 2 and have the 3rd roll to be developed in my pocket. The other two rolls had pics of several 3 year-old 8 pointers and does. Nothing major to share. How about you?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I put one out and it needs to use up one more frame. I don't expect to see any monster bucks on it though.

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Why don't you have any expectations for some good deer? Do you manange the place for trophy animals?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, I would if I could, but I only have 5 acres. I cannot control the rest of the land owners around me, they are all "brown it's down" folks with no plans for changing. Last year I sat on my property once to hunt ( I will only bow hunt at home) and saw on the bordering 13 acres 7 guys in orange along the property line...waiting. So I lease some land near by.

My personal limit is that a buck has to be 6 points or better, so I've only killed two bucks in my life, the rest have been does.

I have never seen a trophy whitetail buck when hunting.

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have my camera out year round. I need another one! I love Sunday nights, that is "picture time", the time when I collect the card from the camera, take it home and see what is on it.

I get to monitor the antler growth and see how much they eat (I keep my camera at the protein feeders.)

The camera is a great thing. It helps me keep track of who is where. I had not seen these two stags in over two months. If it weren't for the camera, I would swear they were dead or gone.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Great pics, Wendell! Do you have other exotics on your ranch?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vic. Along with the Stag, I have Mule Deer, Whitetail, Aoudad and Axis Deer.

Vic, If I remember correctly, you had some great pictures of Whitetail from last year ... didn't you? Or am I confused again?

I will get the current pictures this week. There should be some good Whitetail on it. The Stags develop quicker, so they are more impressive right now.

Here is a picture I took with a digital camera through a Leupold spotting scope of a different Stag taking a bath. They love to swim! What you don't see in the picture is the other hinds and even the one month old Red Deer calves swimming with him!

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Yes, I got some pretty good pics last year. I usually start running my cameras early in July. By the time the season starts in September, I've had time to shuffle them around my farm enough to have a pretty good idea what to expect for the season. That said, each year we shoot deer that never showed themselves on film. Then again, it's always interesting to take one that matches with a pic from during the summer.
As for the roll of pics that I mentioned was in my pocket earlier today, I got it developed and it had all bucks in the 24 pictures. It was pretty much 3 deer in an assortment of time periods. They all looked like 3 and 4 year-old 8 pointers. Beautiful deer but no shooters in the bunch.
What inspired you to bring in all the exotic species? Do most of them handle our southern heat pretty well?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What inspired you to bring in all the exotic species?

Sheer and utter Ignorance. But hey, it is bliss right?

Actually, it has been an incredible experience. If I had it to do over, I would.

Quote:

Do most of them handle our southern heat pretty well?

So far they do. The Whitetail and Mule Deer are native, so there is no worry about them.

The Aoudad are hard to kill, even with a gun. The Axis came from India, so they are used to it as well. The Stag came from about 80 miles away, so they are acclimated to it. They are hardy animals. I just make sure they have plenty of food, shade and a place to swim, and they will be fine. They have 1000 acres to roam, so they will find plenty of shade.

We can see this small pond from the house (about 600 yards away) I can not walk by a window without looking to see if anyone is in the "swimming pool".

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I bet that's a lot of fun seeing such a unique variety of animals on your place. I have a hard time explaining to people how special each trip around my farm is and I usually only see the same old routine things of deer, ducks, turkys, quail, and all the other assortment of creatures that you have in the Georgia woods. That said, each day is special, and as the seasons change, there's something truly awe inspiring if you take the time to look for it.
Anyway, just in case you're interested, here's a pic from the roll of deer cam pics I developed today. These are young bucks, but are still special to see in their orange summer coats. Hopefully I'll have some big bucks to show you in the days ahead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got mine back out. Some hogs and a coyote so far in SoCal.

We're having a spring game cam pic contest if anyone wants to enter their pics.

Rules are at the top.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?showforum=265

Here's a wolf just posted by Brendan

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is cool!