Find
Notify
Tools

Portable Ground Blinds
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I've been looking at ground blinds for quite a while (a few months) and would be interested in hearing from those who have used them or are considering buying one.

CaptJack, I saw the photos you posted in the other thread -- that's a company I hadn't found, thanks. How tall is it once it's erected?

Russ

[ 10-26-2002, 01:21: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a GameTracker ground blind (with out the charcoal lining), the first time I sat in it I had deer feeding undisturbed 30 yards from the blind, on the edge of a clover field. I can't waite for rifle season, I plan on using it more then.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
DayAmmmm Russ! I just bought one today! Got the Tipi shaped one by Ameristep called the Outhouse. Anyway, it has the black lining which is very important. Do not use one of these blinds with out it. If you buy one that does not have a black lining get some black plastic garbage bags to line it. If ya don't you'll be sorry, game can see your outline without the liner.

Anyhooooo, this blind was on sale at Gander Mountain for $70 clams. Well within my skimpy budget. It is six and a half feet tall and seems to have some floor space to move about some. At 12 pounds, it's easy for me to pack and take along. Should be good for bow and rifle hunting situations. There is room for my pack and a 5 gallon bucket seat.

I've killed three deer in ground blinds. MUCH more stable than tree stands. Though I do use both.

I will be in this blind tomorrow morning.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, I have been looking at these for a couple of years now and finally bought one this week for $60.00 at Dick's sporting goods. It stands 6 1/2' and is made by "Hunters View", called a teepee, has Tee shaped slots in all four sides with a walk in length slot in one side. Mine is not blacked out on the inside but I will be wearing camo anyway, weighs 8#. Last year a friend of mine sat his about 10yrds from the end of a shelter belt, said the deer came right up to it sticking thier noses on it, he shot a 12pt. buck at 8yrds with a bow. I'll be setting mine up to use first with a bow, then for rifle season.
This idea sounds much safer than a tree stand. I personally know two guys who have taken a fall out of trees, one is parallized from the neck down.