New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas exotics info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for some info regarding the hunting of non native species in Texas. My business partner is a lease holder, somewhere near Uvalde, Tx. He wants me to go hunting with him over the next 2 weekends. He says that there are several nice auodad, red stag and sitka deer, as well as hogs on the lease.
I have never hunted the exotics in Texas. Is it too late in the season to persue them? I don't have any problem with the hogs, its like squirrel hunting here at home, I kill hogs every time I go In Texas.
I was thinking of taking a 700/.30-06 and a .243, should do the job , right?
TIA, for any info or comments.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aoudad are very solid animals ,as are large hogs.save the 243 for sika deer. red deer are 400 to 500 lbs.,like a cow elk.use7mm or .30 cal. A 243 is great on blackbuck if they have any. I have hunted Texas a fair amount, nice folks down there.Most ranches are fair chase, some aren't. GOOD LUCK.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, you can shoot non native game such as Audad, Red stag and Sitka deer any time of year with a valid hunting license. Hogs can be taken by any means, night or day. Audad are tough animals. A 300 win mag will do fine. Hogs are good to eat this time of year as are most types of
game. Uvalde is a fine area and there is lots of game. Over the years exotic animals have escaped from high fenced leases and depending on the situation, you could see several species of sheep, including Mouflon, Texas Dall, Corsican Rams, Audad. Many areas from Uvalde north toward Kerrville have free ranging Axis deer and Sika deer. If it is a high fenced lease and they have exotics you could see almost any type of African plains game. Any .30 caliber chambering will be fine. I like Nosler partitions rather than ballistic tips as they do not do as much meat damage, and typically they pass through the animal in case you have to track it. I've hunted Brackettville which is approx 85 miles west of Uvalde, Rocksprings @ 55 miles north of Uvalde. Currently leasing N of Vanderpool. If its in the hills, rather than in the brush, you'll love the country.
Good luck and good hunting.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I was told the land has not been fully fenced for ages. The pictures he showed me was of rolling hills with a mix of some hardwoods as well as more arid southwest type scrub areas. All I know is its north of Uvalde, I haven't been there yet. He did have pics with about 5-6 different types of deer/sheep on the property. His part of the lease is supposed to be over 1,400 acres.

The rifles will be my .30-06 and one of my 8x57 sporters. I don't own anything larger now days. I shoot 165gr. Core Lokts in the '06 and 196 gr. sp. in the 8mm.

I think he is hoping to get me " hooked" so I will go along with the partnership paying the lease, as he does take a couple of clients hunting from time to time.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the fun is the variety of game. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of free-ranging exotics in that area. I really enjoy going after the free-ranging animals.

Enjoy your hunt!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote