New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet penetration
 Login/Join

<jayloar>
posted
Is there any difference in the penetration capability of the various non-premium 30 caliber 180 grain bullet offerings from Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Remington & Winchester?

<BigBob>
posted
JAYLOAR,
This months issue of Shooting Times has an excellent article on 17 different 180 grain .308 diameter bullets. It's one of the best articles I've ever read on the subject. I'm sure it will answer your questions. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayloar,

How's the Peoples Republik of Boulder these days? [Big Grin] In the experience of myself and those around me the Hornady and Rem. Core-lokts are the toughest of the non premiums. I've had good luck with Hornady interlocks on deer and an elk or two. I prefer and use Nosler Partions for my hunting needs though. An intermittant hunting partner of my dad and I had some 180gr. Sierra's completely fail on a bull elk when shot out of his .30-06 about 10 years ago. However, he sent the recovered bullets(the bull soaked up six of them) to Sierra for inspection they claimed that lot of 180gr. Gamekings did not have properly drawn jackets. He's never had that happen again though he subsequently(fed up with my badgering!) switched to Hornady Interlocks and Partitions for all of his big game hunting.

[ 10-10-2002, 08:12: Message edited by: DavidReed ]

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And after you read the bullet article in Shooting Times, take a look at the following site for "real" bullet penetration tests on game:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/faqs.html

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
The Peoples Republik of Boulder is as odd as ever. A prairie dog is running for office and is expected to win.

I guess I better pick up that copy of Shooting Times and see what they have to say.

I just haven't been able to get the premium bullets to shoot very well, Nosler Partition, Barnes X, Failsafe, GS Custom, Swift Scirocco.

The gun shoots Hornady SST's 150gr and 180gr very well and likes the factory 180 gr Power Points. Seems like it likes all the non-premium bullets and dislikes all the premium bullets.

<jayloar>
posted
I went to a couple stores looking for that Shooting Times article and no such luck. The November issue is on the stands and I didn't see any article about 180gr bullets. Anyone have a copy of the article that I might be able to get my hands on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayloar,

You might want to try NewsLand on 93rd and Federal in Westminster. I know that is a bit of a jaunt from boulder but they usually keep at least one previous months issue(of all mags) on the stand.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
DavidReed,
You are right on the money. I gave Newsland a call and sure enough they have the October issue and are holding a copy for me. Thank you very much.