New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dall sheep hunt experiences
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I've been bitten by the sheep hunting bug and would like to hear from those who have hunted them in Alaska. Dall sheep are a beatiful animal and inhabit some rugged terrain. I'm looking at some guides that hunt in the Brooks range, but would like to hear about other areas as well. Hence, one of my desires is for a hunt that will be physically challenging. I want to earn a trophy sheep. Also, Dall seem to be more available to hunt than bighorn which involves outrageous amounts of money or luck of the draw. I know Dall hunting will be pretty expensive, so I'm already saving for a hunt in the 2003 season.

Who here has some experience and do you have some outfitters you can personally recommend? As I say, I'm looking for a hunt where the mountainous terrain will challenge me. And I've always looked forward to a hunt where a spot and stalk technique can be used.

Thanks for any replies.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bjdoerr,

I have not hunted sheep and don't really have the bug but I have hunted an area for Bison that also holds a lot of sheep. The guy you might want to talk to is Tim Mervyn of Mervyn's Yukon Outfitters in the Yukon Territory and I HIGHLY recommend him! His sheep AVERAGED over 38" last year. I know for a fact there is a 40+ inch sheep running around the area we were hunting that they had passed on the year before because he was too young. If he made it through the winter, he will be a great trophy for someone. Yukon sheep hunts are a bit more expensive than others but man the trophy quality is sure there to warrant it. If you talk to him, tell him John from Utah says "see you next year"!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am happy to hear John had a good experience with Tim Mervyn - and considers to go back.I had a hunt thru Tims outfit too.
I believe Tim to be a very eficient "businessman".I believe all outfitters have to be but I am seeking people that have a bit more integrity,maybe not in the legal sense but certainly in the real sense.Dont want to spoil something by expounding unless I have to.My advice- you can do better.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
I read a deal on Tim Mervyn awhile back. Seems solid!

Sometimes I have a big urge to hunt Stone sheep or dalls in northern BC or southern Yukon. Very rugged. Soon enough.

I wrote to, for information, and recieved a great response from Dave Wiens, owner of Trophy Stone Safaris. Thats for Stones though.

If I had Alaska residence, I would go out and hunt them on my own as often as possible in the Brooks. This is a good region, but I like the canadian landscape more. Check out the Prophet Muskwa in northern BC...it's where Jackie-O did a lot of hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bjdoerr,
Sheep hunting is top on my list too. I haven't hunted Alaska so I can't respond. I have had some great sheep hunts in the Yukon though.

JohnTheGreek,
I am glad you had a good Bison hunt. Did you get a good bull?
I just came back from the same area you hunted. I was involved with a school Bison hunt. We took 23 gr. 7 students. We killed a 4 year old bull. Good time.

I may have to go and see if that 40+" ram survived the winter myself!

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BJ: I've been to the Brooks several times as an assistant guide and for myself. I think there are both positives and negatives going there. First some negatives- Cost, plane fare from Fairbanks is expensive. Another is that the sheep generally have smaller heads due to shorter summers. On the positive side, the mountains are older therefore the walking is much easier. Regardless of where you go, you're going to have to walk. Also, there is less competition due to the remoteness of the area. I guided for a friend licensed to operate in ANWR and I believe he has some openings for this summer. In fact, I'm going into this same general area for myself this next Aug. FYI, my friends name & address is:
Patton Witt
150 Dome Rd.,
Fairbanks,
Ak., 99709
Try contacting him. If you do go to the Brooks, you won't regret it. Nothing like sheep hunting. Talk about a wild, remote area. Good luck, Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
i've hunted dall sheep amost exclusivly over the last 8 years. the only thing I can tell you about gudes is they will all tell you they have the higest success rate and kill the biggest rams and anything else they can to get you to put up some money. i've never hunted the brooks range because that's all you read about in the magazines and the walking is supposed to be easy so I figured it would be crowded. A good book to read on the subject is sheep hunting in alaska by Tony Russ. were I hunt it's crowded until you get two days away from where the plane lands then you're all alone. you have to be willing to out walk everyone else and cross a few ice bridges but it's worth it to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DarylD,

Where you in exactly the same valley that Tim and I hunted? Glad someone else could benefit from all the trails we cut Were the bulls still feeding on top of the mountain or had they moved to the valley floor? There was a bull in the herd of 5 that we saw that was about a hand or so taller than mine and we could see it all the way from the valley. He was a BIG boy that I hope to return for next year. This year, I was very happy to take the very old bull of the bunch that was very well broomed! I try to be conservation minded you know Sounds like great fun with the kids!
Don't tease me about the sheep hunting you can do as a resident! The only reason I don't have the sheep bug is because I have to pay a whole bunch more than the resident fee

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
B.J.,

Ditto cohoyo. He's right on the mark. Lots of opportunities if you're willing to get away from the crowds.

DarylD,

I read about the trip with the students, great experience for all involved. You guys should be commended for taking on such a project!

one of us
posted Hide Post
cohoyo,

Thanks for the information. As a matter of fact, I have Tony's book on order right now.

I kinda figured that the Brooks range would be a little more remote and that might keep some of the crowds away. Didn't realize the Brooks had the reputation for easier walking.
I'm 36 and a runner so I'm not really looking for easy. But I'm a flatlander. So, I want to challenge myself with more difficult terrain to see how I can hold up mentally and physically.

Do you have a recommendation on which ranges are considered "more difficult" and will keep the crowds from penetrating too far from the drop off point?

Do any of the guides have exclusive access to any of the lands? Or are the public hunting lands open to all?

Guess I've got a few things to learn about how this game works.

Thank,
Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stan Stevens in the Northwest Territories.

I hunted with him about five years ago. It's a backpack hunt (no horses) five hunters in camp and five full curl sheep. 10 day hunt with Caribou, and wolf as option.
Very rugged terrain with water crossings that are quite a thrill. 40 pound pack, rifle and COLD fast waist deep water. Spotted dozens of sheep and went after the best.

I was lucky enough to get a B&C Sheep after a two day stalk, and decent Caribou missed a wolf.

If you can't find his number and want it email me and I'll get it to you.

Good Luck

BB

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 03-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 03-19-2002).]

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
bjdoerr,
I would look at anything other than the brooks, they're all tuff. I went to a sheep hunting seminar that tony russ spoke at and was very impressed. He had all of his stuff laying out on a table and I wrote it all down and bought what he had. I had never been sheep hunting yet so I figured i could't go wrong. he lists most of his stuff in his book. the only thing I bought and don't use any more is the plastic boots. they don't loose their support after being soaked for days but they are too heavy and uncomfortable for me. Tony told a story about a marathon runner that he guided, he said the guy did really well until the trip out when he had 75 pounds on his back. I'd do some weight trainning and do some walking with a pack on, if you don't all ready. Tony stresses the importance of a walking stick, don't leave home with out it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bjdooer...be careful what you wish for with respect to a physically demanding sheep hunt. Having said that, there are a lot of booking agents who advertise "walk-in" and back-pacing sheep hunts that sound like just what you're looking for...just you and your guide and what you carry in. Good luck!

By the way, at what altitude do you live. Being in good shape at sea-level is a lot different than being in good shape at 6000'.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cohoyo,

Thanks again. I'll look elsewhere than the Brooks range. I'd like to also consider Canada, but think it's out of my price range. Alaska will stretch what I can afford. Tony's book should arrive this week and I look forward to reading it.

BB,

I found Stan's website. Sounds like a great place to hunt. I'll look into it, but fear that it is probably out of my league pricewise.

DB Bill,

Point well taken. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone other than I can survive a sheep hunt and have fun while there. One of my main goals is to get away from the areas where the hunting pressure is heaviest in hopes that will increase my odds of seeing a couple of nice rams from which to choose. Plus rugged terrain is that much more beautiful to behold in my opinion. My current home is at an elevation of 1000' which is nothing compared to 6000'. Like I said, I'm in pretty good shape but am a flatlander. I used to live in Boulder, CO and hiked and backpacked up to 13,000' so I know how thin the air can be. When I finally get there, I need to be careful not to try to overexert myself on the first day only to make the rest of the trip miserable.