Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Big game cartridges...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
The two I have are the 300 ultra and the 375 ultra.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm rem mag and 375 H&H, because I have a matched pair in the works. The 300 win mag might could do it all.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
As much as I like my .338-06 and I was never hunting Africa, I would have to go .280 & .330 Dakota (or .338WM).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I'll never hunt the big bears so my 6mm Rem and 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for .270 and .338, the classic duo for NA, and not bad choices for African plains game either.

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would hate to settle for just 2 rifles but if I had to they would be a 7WSM in a light Model 70 for mountain hunting and my 338 Win Mag. If I lived in Alaska and hunted the big bears a lot I might jump up to a 338 Ultra, 375, or a 416. Isn't it great to live in a country where we don't haft to have a reason to own a gun, other than we want it !!!!

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I could do very well with three rifles, one in .22LR, a .270, and a .338WM. But since the only game I hunt is found in Alaska, I have only one big game rifle, which in fact has brought meat to the table each year for the past eight or nine. The rifle, introduced as "The Alaskan," is perhaps the most popular up here, up there with the .30-06 and the .300WM. Yes, you guessed correctly: .338WM.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with my .257 Wby and one of my .358 STA's. The former with a 120 grain Nosler Partition at 3500 fps, and the later with a 270 grain North fork at 2950 fps has handled anything I want to hunt in North America quite nicely. I have several others in between these two and two .416's above but have no qualms about using these two inresponse to the question. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since were limited to two rifles I'll just go ahead and keep an M70 Classic in 375 H&H and avoid the hassle and maintanance of a second rifle.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 7MM Rem mag and chamber it with Fed Premium 160 NP or 175 TBBC and a 375 H&H and chamber it with Fed Premium 300 TBBC or 260 NP. I believe I got it all covered.

I slight twist to the question would be so which of the 4 choices above is the best bet for black bear over bait?

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
A lot of sensible choices here for a North American two-rifle battery. From what I already own, I guess I'd have to choose either my .308 and .376 Steyr Scouts (for consistency of operation), or my Blaser R93 with 7mm-08 and 9.3x62 barrels (for minimal equipment). In terms of just cartridge choice, the .308 Steyr Scout and 9.3x62 Blaser is probably the most practical pairing for North America among my existing battery.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

Hey 9.3-

Talk to me about your 6.5x57 experience, I am having an Arisaka re- chambered. I would love to hear some load recipes or suggestions from you.

Are you getting the 6.5-257 or the 6.5x57 (there's a difference)? Mine is the latter; 22.5" Douglas featherweight barrel on a 700 LA. It doesn't care for the Speer 120, but loves the Hornady 129 and Re19. I'm gonna work up some loads for the Nosler's 120 BT soon - gonna start with Re15 based on some very promising results I've had in my 257 Roberts. I've got some Rem 120s I'm gonna play with too...

If you're going with the 6.5x57, know that the reamer (if to CIP specs) will have a very long throat. I had my cut a bit shorter (though still plenty long) to make shooting the 100s and 120 a bit easier.

Stay away from Sellier and Bellot 6.5x57 brass and ammo (don't even get me started...). RWS makes great brass, but it is very expensive and often has thick case rims, which may not jive with your shellholder. I, myself, just neck down WW 7x57 cases.

This site has some reloading data, as do the current Sierra and Hornady manuals. I've also borrowed from 6.5x55 data with good success.

It's a great round - the ballistic twin of the 6.5x55 except with a standard case head and a bit better user of a LA magazine. Enjoy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough question;
A 7mm (.284W, .280R or 7RM) and .375 H&H.
Awe heck, maybe a 30 cal ( -06 or 300 H&H) and a .416RM.
Geeze, I can't make up my mind so I got nearly all of the above and an 8mm RM too.
It's all good.

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got 'em. A 7-08 VSL to shoot out of a stand for deer up to 3-400yds, if I ever practice and become confident at that range. A 30-06 for everything else. A 30-06 will take anything, and has, in North America at up to 300ds. Most hunters, including myself, have no business shooting that far anyway. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are all wonderfull choices. I think broad caliber differences in two calibers is important as it doesnt lend itself loosing ground picking to close. For instance... I know I can take any animal in north america with my 270, infact I have used it on moose more than once and would do the same at a moments notice, however, the 375 might be a better choice and certainly with a big brownie, whereas if I had a 270 and a 300... the choice isnt so clear. The more game I shoot the less I see a difference in cartridges, example... I "see" that a 300 does more dammage than a 270 but I see no difference in how long it takes the animal to expire. Now logic would point me to the 300 as a "better?" killer but the variables are to close... sometimes yes sometimes no, many many times over.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
smallfry
My "scientific computer" choice would be a 300 Mag and a 375 H&H. However my PERSONAL choice would be my 9,3x74R Chapuis Double rifle, with either a 300 Mag [again the logical "scientific" choice] or more probably my 450/400 3 1/4" Double rifle. I have found I just prefer the double rifle.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, just to be different I'll pick the 30-30 winchester and the 348 winchester. Should handle about all I'll ever need...

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Kutenay

Are you married, and if so, how is it that Mrs. Kutenay allows you to spend so much money on Rifles? You must be a damn good lover!

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I don't hunt varmints, and I have no interest in big bears, I could probably do it all with one cartridge - the .358 Winchester. However, since you've asked for two, I'd go with the .303 British and the .35 Whelen - so bring on the polar bear.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
If I stop to think about this I might change my answer! But it would seem to me that my .308 Winchester and my .375 H&H would prove more than adequate any old time. As always bullet selection is of great importance as is shot placement. Scopes and iron sights, slings and things... they all matter at one time or another. Shoot well and most all will get the job done. Heck, I have thought about it too long and I've got to change to the .30-06 and the .375, as they are just a wee tad better rounded for the two gun battery. So there do as you see fit.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Since we have been lagging here a bit... I thought I would spice things up by asking a simple question. What two big game cartridges would fulfill your big game needs in North America and why... explain? We will exclude varmints and small game, and assume you already have that covered. Your big game hunting would not be limited and you would hunt moose and big brown bears also.

My choice would go to the two most absolutely sensible cartridges I own in my battery... The 270 Winchester and the 375H&H. Batter up.......

Hmmmmm, since he didn't say rifles, I'll have to go with the .41Magnum and .475Linebaugh in revolvers for close work. When there is going to be a little distance, I like the 7JDJ or .375JDJ.

If it's long guns, I favor the .280AI and if big bruins are included, my .411/.416Remington. The .411 can be loaded down with pistol bullets for plinking and small game, too.

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

375 H&H and 7mm rem mag.

Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue, I have been married for 22 yrs. to the same lady who is very successful in terms of her career and she has bought me some of my choicest pieces. Also, she would never presume to even attempt to tell me what to do or buy and has always said that I should buy whatever I want. In return, I have frequently worked two jobs at once to buy her fancy jewelry that she wanted and these were pretty crappy jobs, but, she is worth it.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 winchester model 70's both with Leupold scopes ( 2x7,3x9) in .300 H&H mag and .375 H&H mag. Would get it done. Second choice combo .300 H&H mag and Marlin 1895 .45-70 with serious loads and a Leupold 2x scope.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
the 30.06 for smaller game and 338 wmag for larger game. The 338 was my choice one the larger game, only because I have one.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 combinations to hunt the planet with:
.338 Win and a .416 Dakota, or a .338 Lazzeroni galaxy (short) and a .416 Lazzeroni meteor (long). I have used a .338 win for 24 years, but I am getting quite fond of the Lazzeroni.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote