Find
Notify
Tools

Muley's above timberline
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
Okay, Having hunted mulies for a fair portion of my life, I am stumped on this one. I just drew a CO tag for an early (September) rifle deer season, but it is limited to areas above timberline only.

Now, other than escaping the flies in the summer, I cannot fathom why a big buck would spend much time in the rocky, windswept area's above timberline.

I have to get some scouting done, and I am needing some ideas here.

Save the smart-assed replies, please.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... that look rather hard to define.. "Above timberline".

I've seen mulies bedded down in the grass, just underneath bare grey rock, no trees around.

I've seen them bed in a isolated small group of trees, far above the forest... is that above timberline?

I used to ignore those areas when looking for mulies, until I found them there. The bighorns were lower.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that Kolorado would issue such a tag. But hunting above timberline in Sept. is one way to get a nice buck. Mulies do hang in that kind of country. Escape the heat, the flies, and are at home in the "above the timberline" area. Spend a bunch of your time glassing, get above timber and sit down, and start straining your eyes.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Send me a PM and I will tell you what I know.

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I took a 181.5" 6x6 last October at 10,500 elevation. We saw at least 10 bucks that morn before I shot that buck. The deer in that area seemed to stay around the open pastures throughout the timber. Just over the ridge from where I took that buck there was a huge gulch with rocky cliffs, the guide said that's where the sheep hangout. I guess my point is there are some areas where the elk, deer and sheep roam, maybe few and far between but, they are around.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which area are you hunting? Not all ranges hold awesome bucks but the one's I've seen would make your jaw drop.

Honestly, the biggest bucks I've ever seen were above timberline in the Sangre de Cristo. I initially thought they were elk. Most often they are glimpsed in little subalpine bowls near fringes of woods. I've always found them in small groups but I'm sure the singles are out there too.

Hope you have a pack animal.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The biggest muley I have ever personally seen was above timberline. But I have seen very few deer there.

The oldtimers of CO used to tell me that if you were only interested in killing a big deer, that glassing the the timberline edge was one way to find them. But they always said to be patient as you would see very few deer but the ones you would find would be monsters.

Don't really know first hand. But the big deer I saw above timberline in CO hunting elk was huge. In fact I thought it was a shootable elk at first!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Of course I don't know the areas there at all, but I'm a little suprised at some of the responses.
Several times, not being able to help myself when seeing one referenced on a map, I have gone to those 'look-out towers' waaaay up there to talk to the rangers/fire spotters for the heck of it. While talking to them and getting a great view of it all, I have always said "I bet you guys see a lot of good game up here, being so remote and quiet?" Or something along those lines. Anyway, they always say "no, no water or food to have much game up above the timberline. Though occationally critters come by", and then they show me some pictures and stuff of ones that have. But overall, they seem to have seen game far and few between; at least where I have been and asked.
So I have never really tried, just going on their experience; they spend weeks at a time up there playing tag with each other until winter. I would have thought maybe hunter pressure pushed them up occationally, or something along those lines?
Maybe I should re-visit the idea of trying that high myself, this old body willing, ha ha? Maybe just along the upper boundry?

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since you live in Firestone, CO, look up Jeff Coldwell (sp - I think he lives there). Although he recently got in deep crap with the DOW, he knows a lot about high country bucks.

You could also pick up Mike Eastman's book about high country bucks. You could probably order it off their web site.

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I don't have a whole lot of experience hunting HC deer, but what little I have learned is that the deer are usually pretty far and few between, but your odds of killing a good deer is much better.

I spent countless days in the HC/timberline in MT chasing elk, and didn't see a whole lot of deer. Was more interested in the elk and there was plenty of them.

The majority of the bucks will vacate the HC once the frost has killed most of the plants. Thats usually around the 10th or so of September. There are a few that will hang until the snow gets tough but most will move down the hill following the green vegitation.

Like mentioned spend some serious time behind your bino's/spotter. In the late summer/early fall the bucks are still in their summer mode and can be seen at any time of the day out and about.

I'll be sucking the same air in a few months in the High Country chasing big ol muledeer.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming by 'timberline' they mean approx 11,600 ft- don't know anything about that tag, but from what I've seen bowhunting for elk above the timberline in late August/ early September, the big mulies are there.

Think remote alpine meadows off the beaten path... google earth should be able to show you those. Very likely they will still be in bachelor groups as well.

Even if you don't have success, it's still a blast to hunt up that high!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
3584ELK,

During the mid-1970s, I spent three years guiding hunters and fishermen in the Weminuche Wilderness Area just north of Vallecito Lake in SW Colorado.

The big bucks that hang above timberline generally do so thru the summer and very early fall, i.e. rarely beyond the end of September. Most of them then move down into the timber and continue going downhill as the weather gets worse at the higher altitudes.

So...if you get an archery, muzzleloader or that early rifle permit, you can indeed find some outstanding trophies up high. At times, I have seen four or five monsters together while fishing up that high along the Continental Divide Trail. But once the later CO seasons roll around, you won't see too many -- if any -- above 10,500 ft. or so.

And yes, plenty of both water and forage exists up high, and the critters know exactly where to find it.

This is a pix of my son and I at tiny Donut Lake near the CD trail. We were probably close to 12,000 ft. A couple of the mts. in the background are 14,000' plus. Also note the small white dots that are snow patches in mid-summer! -TONY

This one is just as a buddy and I are about to go over the top of Columbine Pass, which is right at the timberline.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my buck last year at almost 13,000 feet. The buck I shot was higher than the Mtn Goats, the sheep and all other creatures. Look for them high and sneak in from the sides after they bed. Most bucks in the area I hunted won't be in a spot which can be reached by horse back. We rode in 5 miles and made camp, then hiked over 3 miles further up the drainage, and glassed. Then we would hike into the chutes, etc where the bucks were bedding. The biggest problem we had was with planes scouting. They would buzz up the drainages and hit every pocket along the way. It cost my friend a dandy buck.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's insight and experiences that were related here.

To answer some of the points and questions-
The area is GMU 82/86, which is the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. Very steep and formidable. After reading a backpacking book on the area, it would seem that there are quite a few pack trails. It is designated Wilderness Area with the exception of one road that passes through the range.

I have considered an aerial scouting mission, just to get a lay of the land, but as on lad pointed out, Google Earth might provide that easily and without the expense. Especially since I am looking for terrain features at this stage in the game.

I will consider making contact with Jeff S. and look into that book that was mentioned.

Also, one would suspect that the "fourteeners" might attract the backpacker crowd and would be something to avoid.

Thanks again!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What unit did you draw in?
The biggest muley bucks I've ever seen were while I was hunting for or scouting for Sheep and Goats and seen a few whoppers while a I've been climbing fourteeners too.
Use this opportunity to get into the best shape of your life and scout and hike hard and enjoy your time in the high country. Most hunters never get to experience the true high country like you will get to, it is truly a special place that I love to be in.
This year a buddy of mine drew a Sheep tag and I think I'll get a chance to help him scout, can't wait.
Be sure to tell me what unit you drew in if it is an area I'm familiar with I may be able to offer some help.
Good Luck!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Sorry 3584elk I now see you are in the Sangre's, didn't see that before my last post.
You are in luck! The Sangre's can produce some enormous bucks. Yes avoid the fourteener trails but probably not why you are thinking, they can provide good access into back country, I've never had any run ins with climbers. Just make sure to avoid the heavily travelled areas cuz whether or not you are hunting or climbing just the continued presence of people will run the big boys to the other side of the mountain. Figure that out and use it to your advantage.
Remember the harder a place is to get to the more likely you'll see the big boys, spend lots of summertime on the ground glassing long distance to locate bucks early and late in the day after 6 or 8 trips you'll have no trouble getting on them during the season.
Good luck and hunt hard!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years back I was talking to the G&F biologist in Thermopolis, we often talked about sheep and big mulies, a passion for both of us. He still does and has flown most limited quota areas long after the season closes. He said you would be surprised at the number of deer up high, over 8,000 feet, before, during, and way after the season closed. One area that he and I used to hunt is a November area, and he usually flew it in Dec. or Jan. And he would see lots of nice bucks with or near does, belly deep in snow at high elevations. I have no reason to doubt him, as some of the ranchers would say the same thing.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
we hunted cow elk there last year in sept, the mts are a bitch. we did see alot of mule deer and a few 150+ and a few above timberline. we were on the east side, a 4 wheeler would really help as you can buzz down rainbow trail which is right outside the wilderness area, then hike up whatever drainage. also the roads that go up high, the wilderness area goes around these rds, they are are really rough, i would take a 4 wheeler up them, driving for us was not a option just to rocky.

Posts: 50 | Location: Winfield, KS | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
JAD:

Thanks for this insight- it never occured to me that the Rainbow Trail was open to ATV's. I bet the hikers just LOVE that. That trail would be marvellously effective in tapping into the various peaks and basins. Thanks for the tip!

One might be silently thinking "all 3584ELK had to do was look at a NF map". I have found those to be horribly inaccurate and even though they supposedly use them for enforcement purposes, I have it on good authority that not all roads are shown or included as to usage rules. Sorry to chase that rabbit, but I though it bore some thought...

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also recommend David Long's book. You can buy it through Eastman's Hunting Journal. Bruin.

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot some big mulies above timber line, and I hunt that area often if I want a big buck..Big Mule Deer lie up under points so they can see danger approach from below, and they can jump either direction and put that point between you and them, so you must come at them from above...I also like the high rimrock country as the big one lie up under the rims, you can hunt them from above or ride/walk close to the rim if your hunting alone. Be prepared for quick shots if you walking under the rim...

Also keep in mind when hunting the higher elevations you will probably not see the high deer concentrations and the big bucks are far apart..but when you see one, he will usually be a good one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote