Find
Notify
Tools

Human Elk Decoy!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone else ran across this one?
I just returned from a 4 day jaunt into the high country of SW Montana. There were three of us along on this horse/hiking/ATV Hunt for Elk/Moose/Bear! On day two of the Hunt we were at a trailhead and out of the wilds walks towards us a human made up to look just exactly like a Cow Elk!
This "genius" (and maybe he was?) had a costume on that made him into the likeness of a Cow Elk! His face was the face of the Elk and on his back was a support for the large "artificial" back (two thirds) of an Elk!
His legs were costumed like the front legs of an Elk!
In effect he was an Elk decoy with a human inside!
I had never seen or even heard of this type set up!
In the immediate area much Rifle Hunting was going on including Bear Hunting, Mt. Goat Hunting, Moose Hunting, Bighorn Sheep Hunting and maybe some others?
One of my partners and myself were armed with Rifles at the time (the other was archery Hunting Elk) and we were somewhat shaken or taken aback by this "situation"!
No Rifle Hunting of Elk was in effect at the time but just a couple miles west of our locale indeed the Idaho Hunters are allowed to Hunt Elk at the time with Rifles!
I am interested to know if other folks would feel the trepidation that we three shared on seeing this fella all colored and dressed and attached to Elky looking accoutrements come out of the forest during Hunting season?
Also has anyone seen this Elk Decoy with human component offered for sale anywhere or did this guy make this rig up for his-self?
He avoided coming past us and went through some brush to avoid us and our stares - apparently!
I know I don't need an Elk bad enough to dress up like one during the Hunting season.
This fella went to a camp that had room for more than one Hunter but we did not see anyone with him at the time of his exit from the "woods"!
I am still a little "worried" by this incident!
Better safe than sorry is my motto.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a pretty dumb guy to me. I don't mind using decoys to bring animals in but what happens if another hunter doesn't realize that you are the decoy and puts an arrow, slug, sabot, or bullet in you. Hopefully it will be a broadside shot through the cheeks and not anything else. Just remember not all hunters get bull tags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just hope that bull doesn't pussy foot up from behind without him catching on....he might be getting worse than shot if he's not careful! A fellow could dab a little "Cow in Heat" on the tail end of that thing, and sit back and watch the fun.... Big Grin

Posts: 5889 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
was he armed???? if not he could've been an anti-hunter and maybe he was trying to scare the elk--or maybe he was going INDIAN style to sneak in close and put the hammer down!!!!....chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Simply put, You spotted a Darwin Award Winner! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Natural selection in action.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was in CO at gunsmithing school we reviewed hunting accidents. One fine shot took a 'bear' at 300 yds.An experienced hunter , he saw what he was sure was a bear. It was a hunter ,dressed in a full length black parka [in CO where orange is manditory] with hood up ,rifle nearby against a tree, in bear country !! I called it justifiable homicide !! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate-you about made me spit up my morning pop tart when I read your response...

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
Simply put, You spotted a Darwin Award Winner! Nate

Nope only a contestant for a darwin award.

You CANNOT win a darwin award while still alive.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've seen Ms. America before she received her crown.

Believe me, this guy will be, if he even made it home. I can't think of a much dumber thing to do. People get shot dressed like pumkins! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, After I wiped my eyes from the story, I can't imagine a person could buy such an ingenious way to commit suicide.

I remember doing something kind of similar to this when I was in High School back in SE Nebraska. We made a cow out of a couple sheets of thin plywood and put the sneak on snow geese out in the corn fields. My friends used to always give me crap for it, but it was easy to get half a dozen geese when shooting at a flock of thousands. During the spring snow goose season in Nebraska you could carry as many shells in your gun as you wanted and there was no kill limit.

That was substantially less dangerous than wandering the forest dressed like a fruit

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he was contemplating suicide by hunter...

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dick Cheneys hunting partner......practicing?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the boy's from MTV's Jackass...those idiots dressed up in a cow elk suit and got mounted by a bull on a game farm! rotflmo

MG