New
Find
Notify
Tools

Based on the advice I got here......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to try something different this morning.
I haven't seen hardly any deer in a week. And now the weather has turned bad. Bitterly cold and 20mph wind. And I am running out of hunting days.
So today I am heading out with my deer call and I am going to put the wind in my face and work through the thick stuff. I have a good idea of where the bedding areas are. I hope I come across something shootable.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills! tu2 BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy.
Another piece of good advice from AR is to "go where they are". Hope they are there.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck!
move slowly 5-8 yds at a time
lots of glassing,even in the thick stuff
gotta spot them first.
loose the deer call,don't want'em to know you are "in country"
scope on low power.
and sharpen your knife,you're gonna need it

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20mph wind. Put vaseline on your face and do what Ravenr sez. They will hole up tighter than a wine cork.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found them, but I couldn't do anything with them. They were in the thick stuff and they just moved away as I got closer.They left my property.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the deer are moving away, you know that they sensed you first. That's a no brainer and I feel silly even saying it, so next time go way slower.

If you know where they are likely to be you have to "melt" into the area. Try at home to walk as slowly as you can, like take 15 seconds at least to take a step. Think of karate kid or something lke that and practice the crane stance and your balance on one leg. Then when you get to the nitty gritty spot where you think they are start your melting act. It takes huge patience to hunt like that and I can't do it often but when I do it right and take an hour or more to go a hundred yards in the thick stuff it works.

Oh another thing a pair of pruning shears really helps to get through the thick stuff.

At least you're getting out there and having fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm used to going slow. But the ground is frozen and covered with crunchy ice. Very loud.

But yeah, you're right. They got me first.

Now that I think about it, I'm used to using this skill in the summer. Last year I spent an hour covering 40 yards and shot a groundhog at 1 yard.
I guess I need to apply the same thing to deer in the snow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Tip I can give you about Snow, is that when it is present, it is a fine time to Re-clean the Bores and Reload a bunch of Ammo.(I don't need, want, nor like YANKEE Rain. thumbdown)

Get down-wind of the Bedding Area and have a buddy "sneak" into the opposite side. Tell him to be as quiet as possible and they will ease right out to you. Then it is 000Buckshot time if you are situated next to one of their escape routes. You can get a HUGE pile of Deer in a hurry that way. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm used to going slow. But the ground is frozen and covered with crunchy ice. Very loud.

Kenny Rogers once sang, "If you're gonna play the game, boy, ya gotta learn to play it right. You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away ... Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like conditions are right for a 1 man deer drive,you got anyone that will bird dog the thick stuff for you?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weather has changed. Temps are up and the wind is down. The snow is melting.

I'm going to sit in a tree stand this afternoon. Maybe the weather change will get the deer moving.
If not, the wet ground will be perfect for me moving to the bedding areas very, very slowly.

I just can't believe I didn't think of the slow moving thing until calgarychef1 spelled it out for me. I always miss the most obvious stuff.