New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 130 grain sp on Mule Deer ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a 1958 Savage 110 in 30-06 in a pawn shop for only $175. It has a rathur slender forearm, cut checkering, weighs 6 1/2 pounds and just felt right. I put a steel Weaver 3-9 on it and I've been playing with it for a year with light bullets. The recoil is maybe a bit more than my .257 Roberts. It has become my favorite rifle to go out into Owyhee county and just shoot whatever needs shooting.
Now, I have found that the Hornady 130 grain soft point is quite accurate in it and I want to take it deer hunting this fall. According to the manual, my load has a muzzle velocity of just about 3000 fps. I have never heard of anyone using a bullet that light in a 30-06 but, since I have never taken a deer at over 75 yards, I can't see why it shouldn't work just fine. I can't imagine that I would ever take a shot of over 200 yards.

Has anyone here ever used this bullet on mule deer? Am I overlooking something?

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 130 is intended for pistol use at much lower velocity. May not hold up to rifle velocity on close range shots.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with 30-06, but my Dad, my brother, my son, and I have shot 270 for 20 years. In my experience on over 200 whitetails, I prefer 150 gr bullets. I have never failed to get an exit wound with a 150 and had many 130 not exit. In recent years, my son and I have gone to polymer tipped bullets (accubonds and ballistic tips), and I absolutely would not shoot either in a bullet weight under 140-150. Basically. I just prefer heavier bullets and deer size game.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to shoot a 130gr bullet in 30-06 shoot the 130 Barnes TSX, it will not disintegrate at very close range like the Hornady can......

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chop I believe Hornady makes 2 130 gr 308 cal bullets. One is designed for pistols and the other is a 30 cal varmit bullet. I have used the 130 gr varmit bullet in a Sav model 99 in 30-30 cal. I used it on a couple whitetail does and it worked quite well. My brother insisted we try some of the same bullets in his 308 and he found the bullet blew up on the surface of a deer with very little penetration. It also messed up quite a bit of meat. The 30-06 would do the same. If you insist on trying a 130 gr on deer go to the TSX. Hope this helps

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet that I am interested in is the #3020 SP. It is listed in the Fourth Edition Hornady manual where they show loads for that bullet of up to 3600 fps in the 300 Weatherby. The reason for wanting to use this bullet is that I expect to be able to hit the same hole with this one as I do with the Speer 125 grain TNT at 200 yards.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which bullet would you rather depend on for deer, the Hornady .224" 55 SP, or the .308" 130 SP? Well, since the .224" 55 is a pretty dependable bullet for deer, I doubt that you'll have much difficulty in reducing your muley to possession using the .30/130. Go for it.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your shot is off a little and you catch the shoulder or if the animal is at more of an extreme angle than you thought that 130 can be explosive at 30-06 velocities. Why chance it? Im sure that on a perfect broadside shot the animal will be yours but how often do you get a perfect broad side at 100yds? If you jump a buck at 30 or 40yds things could be interesting. As a side note i have heard of guys using the 130gr Barnes in an 06' for moose with no problems, that may be a little extreme but it is a promising thought.......

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our favorite load for doe hunting is a 308 with Speer 130 grain hollowpoints. They work like magic.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
There are acutally two, or used to be two different 130 grain 30 caliber bullets. The 130 SSP for pistol velocities and 130 grain rifle bullet for the velocity developed in a rifle.

IF Hornady could develop a decent web site with information needed by their customers (instedad of some crap presented by their sales staff or web geek who obviously knows more about computers than bullets) one could look up a chart listing the bullet, intended uses and the velocity range it is designed for.
Gee, a simple chart presenting a lot of useful information just like the one in their manual . . . who woulda thunk it . . . (stepping down from my soap box rant).

All that to say there are bullets developed for the high velocites you mention, but are they needed for a shot at 75 yards . . .They are if you like them and they are accurate.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a few deer with a 125 gr sp it killed very well. But back then I only took standing broad side shots.

I use 165 gr and 180 gr bullet these days. From what I saw earlier I wouldn't be afraid to wack deer with 125,130 I would just be a bit more carefull with my shots.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'm sure if you did some searching and testing you would find a more appropriately contstructed and weighted bullet for mule deer that is just as accurate. 130 seems a bit light, why not 150, 165, or 180? Many of them have been found to be extremely accurate in the '06.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote