New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why all the Ruger Bashing??
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
I was just wondering why everyone seems to be bashing Ruger all of a sudden there even doing on the shotgun forum. Ruger, Winchester, and Rem all appear to be about the same to me. I have seen some pretty rough Rem and Win setting on gun stores racks but noone seems to knock them. Just wondering.

<Big Stick>
posted
Not too many Alaskans knock Ruger,as we tend to use them,rather than look at them.

I've had 30 Ruger 77 centerfires as a minimum. I've yet to have one that didn't shoot well. All responded to bedding,load development and proper action screw tightening techniques.

I rather like 'em.........

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I've never bashed Ruger, but I will admit that I've always felt a little high and mighty with my Winchesters. However, I am feeling a little sheepish because I bought a Ruger this year (one of the special .35 Whelens) and it is the most accurate rifle that I own. Ugly bastard, but a tack driver. It is going to Africa with me as my plainsgame rifle. So it is a lucky bastard also!

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Dogger>
posted
Dunno. I have a Ruger 7x57 and it is a great shooter. Some folks don't like the cast receiver. It is strong but some shooters prefer forged steel. Casting is cheaper than forging, ergo the rifle is not perceived to be as classy as one with a forged receiver. Real rifle looneys find the Remingtons and Winchesters to be more amenable to bedding and all sorts of other neat things you do with stocks and receivers.
Rugers are hunting rifles, pure and simple.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't understand it. i have 5 rugers and they all shoot what i consider to be really well. the only ruger i ever had a problem with was a super redhawk in a 454 casull. it was so badly sighted that i had to return it to ruger to realign. the front sight blade was so far off to the right of center that i was shooting 4 inches right at 20 yards with the rear sight moved all the way to the left. i ended up selling it. other than that i have had only good experiences with their rifles.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
<303hunter>
posted
I have just today recieved a .338 win mag m77mk2 wood/blue/sights which unbelievably I won in an Internet give-away. It looks great and I can't wait to shoot it. Even the trigger is good.
The bolt operation is a little "graty" compared to the M70 classic I had but it is not jeweled and has not yet been cleaned. Time will tell.
If it shoots as good as it looks it will be a barn burner. This is the first Ruger bolt gun I've owned and it did in fact ship from Bethel, AK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I scratch my head wondering the same thing. I own quite a few. Mostly revolvers, one M77 .416 Rigby and two No. 1's. All are of consistent and excellent quality for factory guns. I once loaded my .44 mag redhawk so hot that the headstamp on the brass was visibly distorted. The gun simply shrugged it off. And no, I don't make a habit of this. That said. I have never had any quality problems with my Rugers and all are average to above average in the accuracy department. They definately are a real value IMHO.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I forgot. There may be some animosity because of the perception of Bill Ruger selling out to the anti's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's simple... the rifles and revolvers are inconsistent, the shotguns and pistols trashy.

For every good Ruger story, there are 3 horror shows. At least that has been the ratio for the Rugers I used to own, and my friends.

Appearance-wise the rifles are fine, accuracy-wise they are a lottery ticket. I've had some that shot great one day, then lousy the next. Send them back to Ruger and nothing is changed because 2.5 MOA is within factory spec.

If you have one you are happy with, great. But you get what you pay for and I'd rather not throw money away on a gamble.

The revolvers I've had good luck with, but as we've seen, a few turkeys get out. What do you expect for the price? Those are worth the gamble though, as you don't expect as much accuracy from a handgun.

The shotguns and pistols are another story, they are just not durable, reliable or accurate.

[This message has been edited by KuduKing (edited 02-02-2002).]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When and how did Ruger get the reputation of selling out to the anti's?

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Oddball, it is my understanding that Bill Ruger was instrumental in the banning of standard capacity magazines in exchange for some form of relief. It didn't get as much press as the S&W sellout, but it's all the same. I'm don't have the details handy. Someone else can chime in.

<DuaneinND>
posted
The story of Bill Ruger selling out was a bunch of hogwash reported by somone taking part of what was said and printing it. One of the magazines had an interveiw with Bill where he explained the real statement, the reason the anti's didn't notice the mini 14 is that it comes from the factory with only a 5 shot magazine and as WE all KNOW you can't assult someone with only 5 rounds.

<rugerman>
posted
I own both and as far as I am concerned the finishes on the blued and stainless barrels for the Remingtons are by far cheaper looking than the Rugers. I like Chevys, you may like Fords. Same thing goes with guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had both good and bad experiences with Ruger rifles more good than bad but in all honesty I will not purchase another except maybe for another Clark modified 77/22. I have had several #1�s that could not be made to shoot well but the worst example was a 220 swift in the then new varmit/benchrest configuration (I still have this rifle). To make a long story short after my gunsmith took a look at it he noticed the crown had a burr from the final machining operation and a simple recrowning turned this into a .5 MOA rifle from a 3 MOA rifle. I also had a new trigger installed but in general fit and finish of Ruger products lack behind their competitors but they are cheaper and to some people this is a big plus.

I have met people that swear by Ruger rifles and I can respect that but my requirements as they relate to accuracy, fit, finish, and just plain aesthetics have evolved past what Bill Ruger can provide.

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post

<Sparticus>
posted
I have a Ruger MKII pistol ( slab side ) it's a shooter. I did do a trigger job to it. Volquartsin trigger kit. ( for give me if I don't spell it correctly) I also have a model 77 varmit in .22-250, That's a shooter. I have a.375 Magnum that looks as good as it shoots, except it's heavy. Model 77/22 in .22hornet that shoot's like crap. I did a lot to it, except replace the barrel. I was told, by a fellow shooter, that it's in the design of the chamber, that prevents the bullet from touching the lands, in the rifling. Meaning, I can't set the bullet out far enough to make a difference. So, even when I do, she doesn't shoot better than 1.5 at a hundered yards. I like Ruger's but sometimes you get a bad one. PS Remingtons have a cast bolt... But, the political side of things we can't seem to change because, we as shooter's and gatherers can't join together. We are a disfunctional family!!!!

[This message has been edited by Sparticus (edited 02-02-2002).]

<allen day>
posted
I like the fundamental design of Ruger rifles. They are simple, rugged, well-stocked, well-balanced, American Made, and quite practical. They are excellent rifles for the money, and come to think of it, they can be even better rifles than many guns that cost a whole lot more. You might have to tune one in a small or big way, but they can be tweeked to shoot just as well as anything else does.

Some guys report poor accuracy with their Rugers. I've owned a few that wouldn't shoot well out of the box myself. Well so what? I know everybody's looking for that bargain basement out-of-the-box miracle rifle, but heck, don't act like the world's coming to an end if that beauty doesn't throw all bullets into a one-inch circle right off the bat. Tweek it, tune it, take your time with it, invest in some gunsmithing if you need to, but don't give up on it. Most rifles can be made to shoot better than you'd ever dream possible if you're patient and don't always expect instant gratification.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
I forgot. There may be some animosity because of the perception of Bill Ruger selling out to the anti's.

Bill Ruger sell out to the ANTI'S??
BULL SHIT!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
tsturm, you might want to keep reading.

<X-Ring>
posted
You won't here me bashing them. I have several, and love the heck out of them. Like posted above by some one else. All of mine have been very good shooters. I have had better luck with them for off the shelf accuracy in the same price range of gun. I n some case better than some more exspencive guns.

When did Bill Ruger sell out to the anti's? thats news to me. I've always thought highly of the man, and the company he runs!
OOPS missed those links Longbob I will have to go read them now.
X-Ring

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

[This message has been edited by X-Ring (edited 02-02-2002).]

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
longbob -

The evidence seems to be overwhelming. I'm depressed.

On second thought, now I don't feel so bad about complaining about all the crappy 77's I've had.

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

[This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 02-02-2002).]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77 MK-II in .338 WM. It had the "boat paddle stock," which I just replaced with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded. Yes, it still looks as ugly, and the glint from the stainless finish looks like a lighting bolt in the distance. But, I love this rifle because it is rugged, reliable, and it drops every moose I point it at. The low-power Leupold Vary-X III on top of it is just as touch, and I take this pair to hell and back each year when moose hunting. If for any reason I have to take the bolt apart, all I have to do is remove the bolt, insert a small nail into the small hole in the cocking piece (by the safety lever), then unscrew the firing pin assembly. The nail will serve as a lever, but with strong hands you can take the bolt apart with your bare hands. The 3-position safety lever does not have any gaps around its base, and so it keeps snow and trash out.

By now you have probably guessed that the next rifle will also be a Ruger, stainless, and CRF (and not a lock on the bolt).

Another rifle I like is Ruger's 10/22. With the replacement parts found at Cabela's, Midway, and others it is up to one's imagination on the way it should look and shoot. But out of the box, a 10/22 is a great shooter.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hilljack>
posted
Consider the Ruger an unfinished gun and it will be the best piece you own.It needs to be bedded, the trigger cleaned up,and the bore lapped.If youre not a tinkerer leave them alone and buy a box gun.

------------------
Fear the Government that fears your guns!
Hilljack

<Red Green>
posted
I've owned six Ruger long guns, and I still own my 77/50 muzzle loader.

Of the two M77 rifles I owned, one had a horrible trigger that was solved by a Timney, and the other was a good trigger from the factory. Both shot very well. Just not my cup of tea, really, but that's a personal thing since I didn't have a problem with either rifle. I just like Winchesters.

The three others I had were Red Labels. All were great shotguns, but they just didn't fit me well. The only problem I has was with the 12, and that's because I thought it was too heavy. The other two were 28s. They were sweet little shotguns, but I didn't want to take the trouble of getting them to fit me.

Some say that the Red Labels are loose, but most don't realize that they have assited opening that makes them feel loose when they're not. If interested, read Steve Bodio's Good Guns Again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3. Two in '06 and one 300 winnie. All shot pretty well out of the box. The 300 had a horrible trigger. After trigger job,bedding, slicking up a bit they all shot very well. Under an inch with most loads. I am thinking about one in 416 Rigby. They get my vote. American owned and American made, Bill Ruger was one of the first to come out against the gun grabbing lawsuits. Good Hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
How many bench rest, switch barrel, bug hole shooters do you see with Ruger 77's? I do know from the Ruger 77's that I have rebarreled more often than not the receiver ring was thicker on one side than the other, in several cases coming to within .100 of the root (bottom) of the threads in the
receiver.I think this is due to over grinding & polishing of that casting & not doing it evenly on both sides. Thats too thin on the sides for my liking.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-03-2002).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
You won't hear me bash any particular firearm, because I firmly believe they all have thier place. It just so happens that Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Savage, etc. have their place at the end of a rope - the rope I use to anchor my boat.
Sako, there is no substitute!

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<robsguns>
posted
I own 7 Rugers, 2 rifles and 5 handguns. Sold one, use to have 8. None of these guns has ANY problems. From the .22 lr, to the .338 Win.Mag. they all shoot excellent. From my earliest days of shooting, I have used Rugers, and to my grave I will be shooting them. Bill Ruger has not made anti-gun trades by giving up magazine capacity, it was the best thing to do at the time, and for those of you that think you can do any better, hindsight is always 20/20, dont judge a man that has done more to contribute to the shooting sports than any of you have likely done to contribute to society in general. You know nothing of Bill Ruger.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
robsguns,

You are right. I did not know Bill Ruger, but I can sleep well at night knowing that I have never helped draft ANY restrictive gun legislation. I wonder what part of "Shall not be infringed" he didn't understand?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early Rugers had crap barrels and it was difficult to find one that would shoot well and continue that way. The new ones are made in house and are a major leap up. They are very good guns for the money.

Would also be willing to bet that if you took all that Bill Ruger has done over the years for gun ownership even considering his helping draft some language (don't think he had a vote in the legislature) and compare it to Long Bob's being able to sleep well at night ( is that the sum of it?) you would find a landslide on Mr Rugers side.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
I've owned the following Rugers:

MarkII- Always had feeding problems-sold
Ruger SRH.454-Dog, shot out of time-sold
Ruger 77II-stainless .338win. couldn't ask for better.
Ruger10-22-super reliable
Ruger old model .44mag. carbine-great gun-sold, wish I had it back.
Single Six Con..22/.22mag-old one, great shooter,sold yeah, yeah, wish I had it back.

All of the brands have their good and bad points, and I've got some of each and some are better than others, but they're all good.

I had one really bad Rem.700 in .25-06, real bush hammer but my present favorite is a Rem.Mod7. Hell, they're all fun!

<robsguns>
posted
Longbob,
I will never attack your belief or opinion, you will come to know that. I for one, dont actually have a need for high capacity mags. I am a hunter, I dont have the money to go play with my ammo, even though I reload. I dont hold it against Bill for having any part in the magazine legislation. Fact is, he probably did all of us a favor, life is give and take these days. As long as I can have my guns, I'm willing to have a magazine restriction, I dont need all those shots. I'll do the background checks, wait a day, register them, as long as I can HAVE MY GUNS. See where I'm coming from? If Bill hadnt met someone halfway, I bet someone else was prepared to do even worse things to the gun owners. I am not saying I like giving ground, but you have to know when to say ok, and when to say no, hindsight is 20/20, but we dont all have that luxury. Did what he had a hand in hurt me, no. Did it hurt anyone, really, probably not. 10 shots is more than enough for any hunter I know, and even the worst shot can probably put one out of 10 shots into an attacker from 7 ft. with a handgun. I'm realistic, not gung ho on dont give an inch thinking. Do I want a background check, hell yes I do. My family is as important to me as yours is to you. Gun control is not bad when applied realisticaly, and rationally. That means when we have enough, stop. We have enough, and then some, we dont need more, I'm with you on that. What I'm not with you on is blaming Bill for any wrong doing. Talk to you later.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
robsguns & Customstox,

If you ever have the opportunity to look into the meaning of the 2nd Amendment, you would understand a little more where I'm coming from and why ANY compromise is quite dangerous. It may come across to you as being hardline, but you should read the portions of the Federalist Papers concerning the 2nd and you will see otherwise. It's not there for hunters. Hunting is a neat byproduct of our RKBA. The 2nd Amendment is there to protect the PEOPLE of the United States against an oppressive government even if it is our own. I'm not making this stuff up. Read it yourself.

I understand that Bill Ruger has produced many more guns than I have over his lifetime. He was in the business of making them. But how can you say that his actions were the actions of the patriot that you are trying to make him out to be?

one of us
posted Hide Post
robsguns,
It sounds to me like you're saying, that since you don't have a need for high capacity magazines that you don't care whether or not the rest of us can use them. This attitude has cost gun ownes more than I can say. If we won't stand up for something even if it doesn't directly affect us we are finished, may as well turn in your guns. Every little bit is another foot in the door. Next time maybe it will be long range stuff, you know .50's, that kind of thing. Are you going to say well nobody "needs" one of those and not support those trying to save them. You say "I am a hunter, I dont have the money to go play with my ammo, even though I reload." What if they were comming for your "hunting" rifle, but I said that I only use semi auto pistols so they can have your rifle because it doesn't affect me. If we as individuals only fight for the things that directly affect us, we have lost.

I will give you an example. Smokers have been make second class citizens and smoking has become a criminal act in some places. This was allowed to happen because we non smokers just stood by and watched because it didn't affect us.

------------------
"Those who would give up essential liberty,
to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 02-03-2002).]

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun control is not bad when applied realisticaly, and rationally

Absolutely amazing.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<robsguns>
posted
If anyone here believes that NO gun control is needed, I think that you need to think again. I dont want everyone that should not have a gun, haveing one. Criminals, of any kind, should not have one, felons, thats what I'm talking about, that type of gun control. Anyone with intelligence agrees with me on that.
The magazine issue. I never said anything about giving ground on any other issue did I? I never said, just because I dont use a .50 at this time, I think they should go ahead and get rid of them did I? I didnt say that although I dont smoke, I think they should take everyones else to right to do so, even though I think smoking is terrible for this country, personally, but I will not support any initiative to do so. I like alcohol, but I wouldnt flip if they took it from me, even though I like it, cause I dont need it. I would flip if they took my right to have it though, thats why I wont support an initiative to take someone elses right to do as they wish, so long as they're not hurting anyone. I dont NEED 10+ rounds of ammo, thats why I dont care about what Bill did, and I would suspect thats why a lot of gun owners didnt care then, and dont care now. A lot of people saw the potential for a magazine of high capacity to be abused for wrong doing, just as people saw the potential for cigarettes to cause harm to others, the same as they see the potential for alcohol to cause harm. The diff. is that you can harm yourself without harming others, and still retain your right to do so, if you are just limited to where you can do it, kind of like using a shotgun in populated areas. For those of you who are upset about it, get over it. Its no different than someone telling you that you can smoke, but you cant smoke inside the building, give a little and get a little. Laws suck sometimes, but most times they're for a reason. I dont want your cigarette smoke around me, I'm happy about that. You dont want some idiot coming into McDonalds and unloading with a 20 rd. mag. into the crowd, now do you? That is what the mag. issue was and is about. I happen to agree with it, you dont have to. Some people cant see the good in decisions no matter what. I can. Your response will likely be hostile, to the tone of 'So what are you going to say when they decide that one bullet in a magazine shouldnt be allowed to be used for any purpose either?' I say this, use common sense. I am a rational thinking person. I dont think with my butt, I use my head. Theres a speed limit on the road for a reason, to make the roads safe for all, that doesnt mean that they're eventually going to make the speed limit 25 on highways, although there may be people who'd love to see that happen. Its the good of all here I'm worried about, not the few. Sometimes, people say its suppose to be the other way around, the rights of the few outweigh the many, I dont know about that, I just use common sense. Your need for high capacity mags. is not a need, its a toy. A gun is a tool, used for enjoyment by some, evil by others. If we can eliminate some of that potential for evil, so much the better. If that cuts into your enjoyment of it, adapt and over come. No, they're not after my hunting gun, yet, I suspect they may be soon, and some believe that is the ultimate goal, maybe it is. I for one defend your rights, and your right as a law abiding citizen to shoot your guns. I also defend the rights of law abiding citizens that are trying to make this world a better place, a safe place, for their children and their grand children. In time it may come to be that you will agree with me, maybe not. I think its time a lot of gun owners asked themselves just exactly what they will be happy with in gun legislation, not whether or not its going to happen, but that it WILL, and they need to be ready to draw that line, and give ground slowly till they reach that point. I know my point. Its simple. Dont touch the hunting guns, the hand guns, the target guns. Enough has been done there. Make no more restrictions of any kind, enough has been done. I personally do not agree with the gun lock laws, thats overboard. We have no more ground to give, unless they try to take the fully automatic weapons from licensed indiviuals. Do I think people need those, no I dont. Would I support the initiative to take them, no I wouldnt. I do believe anyone who has one should be allowed to have it. I dont believe anyone who has one is going to use it for ill purposes though, because people that have one go through hell getting it and retaining it, for the most part. What is my opinion in the diff. between fully auto and a semi with a high capacity mag. you may wonder. Simple, anyone could get a high capacity mag and steal a gun and do terrible things with them, not so with a full auto. You dont just go get one. There are a lot of you wondering, will this guy let them come take his semi-auto shotgun, when its decieded that they can do as much dammage as a high capacity mag in a semi auto? No, I wouldnt allow that either. It has a viable sporting purpose, an advantage for those recoil sensitive, and the action is easier for those that are disabled. They may want to take all but single shot weapons, but I will fight that tooth and nail too. You see, I have drawn my proverbial line in the sand, and I am standing next to it right now.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
robsguns,

You still haven't read any of the Federalist Papers I see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
robsguns,

When considering Constitutional rights, one does not "give a little." Damn man, one DOES NOT GIVE ANY.

High capacity magazines and speed limit laws have nothing in common and are certainly not analagous.

Do you REALLY believe current gun kuntrol mandates have made you and your family safer? What statistics might you have to defend such a position?

By the Gods, your dissertation scares the hell out of me. You say don't touch the hunting guns, handguns, and target guns because enough has been done. And you say high capacity magazines are not needed as they are toys.

My big bore rifles are.... TOYS! I certainly do not NEED them as I can easily hunt with smaller, more traditional calibres.

The whole point here is the individual's Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, not your perception of what is needed or your interpretation of common sense.

Bill Ruger is a man of many talents and his contributions to the firearms community cannot be denied, however, they are certainly diminished given his actions regarding the high capacity magzine issue. Corporate profit took priority over principles.

Our rights will continue to erode with the anti-personal freedom genre standing united while the rest of us decide what is "right" or "necessary" for each other....

Simply astonished,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
Robsguns, I respect your opinion although I disagree with it. It seems to me it is as simple as divide and conquer. The anti's pick a small group of gun owners to target first. Other gun owners, like you, stand back and say that it doesn't affect me so what is the big deal? So then the anti's pick the next small group of gun owners and target them, this will continue untill all our guns are gone. We have elected officals who will publicly state that they will not stop until only military and law enforcement will have guns. One other thing that gets me is the "need" to owm guns. As soon as we have to demonstrate a need for any gun we are doomed. You don't need a huinting rifle, hunting is a privelege you don't "need" to do it. We don't "need" to target shoot. Like Clinton said when asked about target shooters using guns for recreation, "they should take up golf". Don't think I'm bashing on hunting because I'm not, I personnaly feel like I do "need" to hunt. I'm just using it for an example. One last thing before I get off my soap box, keeping honest law abiding citizens fron owning certain types of guns or magazines will never have any effect on what criminals have or will do. My family is the most important thing to me too, but I don't see any gun control legislation that has made us any safer. Last but not least, where is the compromise that you speak of on the part of the anti's. The only compromise is from our side in that we have given up some of our rights. That's my 2 bits worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
robsguns,

It really scares me to hear a gun owner talk like that. I don't have the stats, but I'm willing to bet that drunk driving causes more deaths than firearms. Lets put a limit on how much one can drink. I can see how someone might stab someone with a pocket knife, better get rid of those. Where does it stop? You said "anyone could get a high capacity mag and steal a gun and do terrible things with them, not so with a full auto". I find it quite interesting that you think people are capable of stealing most guns but not full auto's, how does that work. If you start banning things because of their potential harm we won't have ANYTHING left. Other gun owners have done everything in their power to keep what they had, but it didn't matter laws were passed anyway. What makes you think that when they reach "your line" that you or anyone will be able to stop them there? If you are going to worry about someone coming into McDonalds with a 20 rd. mag and shooting up the place I would say you should be equally worried about someone coming in with a 5 rd. mag. Worse yet, how about someone driving through the place in a semi. I realize that every person has a right to his or her own opinion and they also have the right to express that opinion. That does not mean that they aren't misguided.

------------------
"Those who would give up essential liberty,
to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 02-03-2002).]

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote