New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting in shape for hunting season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I guess it is a bit late to start now, but since I don't have the big trip planned til lthe last week of October (last week of D7 deer season) it might do Some good.

Over the last 6 years I have put on 70lbs. A slow metabolism and lack of exercise combined with a job where I sit behind a desk and everybody brings food in all the time just didn't work out. I am naturally heavy anyways, but at 29 the doctor and I agreed that to postpone messing with my back as long as possible I had better loose some weight (I have 3 torn discs and premature disc and vertebrae degeneration, fell off a slide when I was about 10yo and landed on the side of the pool).

SO, my coworkers do the stairs every day, 3 times. from our seventh floor to the bottom, up and then down again. I did it once yesterday, made it through once today, gonna try and work up to 3 times. Crazy.

Watching my food intake, if I can start getting to bed early going to add in some gym time in the mornings.

What are all of you doing to get in shape?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I did the Atkins diet several years ago, I lost 100lbs with it and I have maintained that loss also. I walk 2 1/2-3 miles each morning I do the biggest hill in town 3-4 times as fast as I can walk, I live at 4200ft but I still suck air at 7500, I do seem to recover quicker. Any exercise you do will help, just get that heart beating faster.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You also might want to try a little bit of strengh training, and you don't need weights or lots of expensive stuff.

what you do is one or two of what you would normally do, but do it as absolutely SLOW as you can. believe me, you will feel it.

For example, start out with pushups where you rest your knees on the floor. But take a full 45 seconds to get your chin to the floor and a full half a minute to get it back to where you started. Once you can do a couple of these the regular push up way you are starting to get in pretty good shape. the technique works with lots of different exercises, including using light weights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing is to work for the long run If you try and get into shape all at once yu are going to burn out. Instead of 7 flights of stairs do two for the first week then 3 the 4 in a month be up to 6 then a month and half 7.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just drink so much beer that I get drunk and then I think i'm in awesome shape. beer

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I teach spinning classes 6 times a week, take aerobic boxing classes and also compete in powerlifting competitions. This keeps me in the gym 18 to 20 hours a week training. I turn 48 next month and am within 10 pounds of my college wrestling weight. Start slow, keep working at it and perhaps you will get to the point the back surgery is not needed. Best wishes and good luck!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've been working out alittle for my upcoming hunt. Your right about the stairs, I've found the stairs in office buildings to be a very good workout, moreso than the contraptions my wife has at home. It seems no matter how hard you work and sweat out in the heat and think you getting worked out, stairs will still kick your butt. I try to start at the bottom and climb as quickly as I can without an all out run and then walk back down at a steady pace. If you keep doing that for about 7 flights up and down until you just can't hardly function, it's bound to be doing some good. I'll admit I can't do it many times right now but, I hope w/in a month I'll be able to do more.

As far as dieting goes, the weight watchers diet is the best I've found so far being that you still get to eat the good stuff just in moderation. I tried the adkins very strictly but could only loose around 15 pounds each time I tried it, I'd just level off and my cholesterol would get high as well. I went from 250 down to 230 this summer which isn't too bad a weight for 6'-3". I'd like to be at 220 and better shape before I go on my 11,000 foot elevation hunt next month but, it's sure getting here fast.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dago Red:

I'm 50 and also sit at a desk for work. I'm 6'2" and weigh 204 LBS today. Do yourself a favor and take the trouble to drop your weight and get into shape. You will enjoy your life longer and with more intensity than otherwise.

I exercise on an 8 day cycle: 6 days of exercise followed by 2 days of rest. Days 1, 3, and 5 comprise 4.5 miles of running at 5.5 MPH, alternating between no slope and 6 degrees of up slope dialed into the treadmill on 1/4 mile intervals. Days 2, 4, and 6 comprise strength training followed by 2 miles of running at 6 MPH, no slope. The strength training includes 2 sets of push-ups, 2 sets of sit-ups, 2 sets of arm curls using 25 LBS dumb bells, 2 sets of leg squats holdint two 25 LBS dumb bells, lunges, and some other exercises. This exercise routine is to prepare me for a solo backpacking elk hunt at timberline in Colorado in mid-October. Without the necessity to train for the backpacking hunt, I would dial it back to 5 days of exercise followed by 2 days of rest; I would run maybe 3 miles on the treadmill; and on days 2 and 4 I would do strength training only, with no additional running.

My suggestion is to begin your exercise program slowly. Maybe take up walking. Walk a mile every other night for two weeks. Then extend to 1.5 miles. Then extend to 2 miles. Get up to 3 miles every night of the week. After getting to this 3 mile walk level of fitness, then begin doing some sit-ups, not many. Build up slowly. Meanwhile watch your diet. Cut out snacks with low nutritional value -- you don't need to be told what these are. Prefer low fat foods (chicken, pork chops, pork loin roasts) to high fat foods. Manage your portion sizes. Don't eat chips or other loose items from the bulk storage, measure out a portion (a cup-full, for example) and consume that measured portion. Just because they serve you a heaping dish of food at a restaurant doesn't mean you have to eat it all. Split a meal with someone else; take home half the portion for dinner tonight or tomorrow night. If you must splurge, limit yourself to a splurge once a week, on Saturday night for example. Drink more water.

After you have done the above for awhile you should notice some changes -- weight dropping and feeling more energy. The success and the greater energy will make it possible to push further in your program. Maybe you can start jogging or bicycling for a more intense work out than what walking provides. Maybe you can start going to the gym and using weight machines at the gym or buy dumb bells to do workouts at home. If you begin intense training, be sure to eat enough protein to repair and build muscle mass.

Do not undertake an aggressive diet program without concurrently undertaking a substantial exercise program. Dieting alone takes off not just fat mass but also muscle mass. Then if you go off diet and gorge yourself eating you put back on fat to replace the lost fat and ALSO THE LOST MUSCLE, leaving you in a worse position than you were in before. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so you want to build muscle mass on your body.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's definitely work. I have twice in my life dropped 40lbs, kept it off then watched it creep back up as I slacked off. I was 6' 225lbs my freshman year in high school.

The diet thing I don't do anything special like atkins or weight watchers (although weight watchers has done amazing things to the women I know that are on it, saw one this morning DAMN). when I was lifting a lot I was high protein moderate carbs. My big problem is sweets, I have a HUGE sweet tooth, pastries, breads, candy, all that stuff. Not into sodas so that is not a problem. I am avoiding the snacks too, looking at what it really has before digging in.

Also for the first time I am really eating vegetables, or at least starting to. I hate them, never ate them, they just don't taste good. BUT I have decided that 1. my daughter is going to need to have a good example from me, 2. I don't want to get colon cancer and have a colostomy bag. Smiler So veggies are now a part of it. And cutting out the fried food.

I had started back at the gym 3 times a week 3 months ago, after the baby was born though I just haven't got the schedule worked out yet. I have to get up early to take her to childcare and spend my evenings with her since it is the only time I get to see her, then I have to stay up and get things done after she goes to bed. I have some dumbells at the house though, I'll start using those for some light stuff.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that working out year round helps a lot when it comes time to ramp up for archery elk hunting. I bike-- fast-- for at least 30 minutes five days a week during the fall and winter (trail bike on a trainer with maximum friction) and 15 minutes upper body strenght training. Around Easter I gradually ramp the bike time up to at least an hour (or 20 miles, if I can get outside). I can't run marathonns or anything, but I don't have any trouble keeping up with my brother who does when we go hunting. I'm 46 and am 8 pounds heavier than I was as a senior in college. Just work up to a daily routine and stay with it. When I don't feel like dragging my sorry butt out of bed at 4:30 to work out, I just visualize myself sheep hunting at 70. It helps!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
...Also for the first time I am really eating vegetables, or at least starting to. I hate them, never ate them, they just don't taste good. ... I have some dumbells at the house though, I'll start using those for some light stuff.
Hey DR, I'm almost back to my old CORPS fighting weight. I've lost a good bit since back in mid-March. Not real sure how much total because I didn't bother to jump on the scale at first. At least 8" of gut gone though.

I look at food like it is Fuel - the less food I take in, the more Fuel needs to be burned from the Reserve Tank(gut). It helps me keep a focus on what gets put in when I know I need to be burning from the Reserve.

I hear you about the Veggies. Being a Wegetable Rights Advocate(VRA), I've always had a problem with people Trophy Killing Veggies or Murdering them just so they can eat. HA

There are a couple of Veggies that seem to help loose weight though. If you get a can of Green Beans, a can of Saurkraut and a can of Collards, you will notice the entire can full of each is only 70 calories, or 210 calories total. Not too many folks could actually consume 3 entire cans of food at one sitting, so they work right well for me. You get full and add a small amount of usable Fuel.

I also do a good bit of walking, but I always have. Decided to use the old Push Mower as much as possible instead of climbing on Big Red to do the mowing. Get a good bit of Reserve burned doing that, and it is scheduled for about an hour away from right now.

Also do some weight lifting with the dumbells. Have a couple of mine named jorge and denton. Big Grin

Oh yes, salads with Low Cal Italian(Kraft Free) and a tiny amount of Catalina(also Kraft Free) will also fill the stomach with puny fuel, but make you feel like you are full.

Good old "Round Steak" tossed on the grill works right well too. Not much fat in it to start with and it is tough enough that it provides good "chewing exercise".

No biscuits, bread, crackers, candy, bourbon, beer or anything like that. It is simply "Mind over Matter". Once you are off of them for 5-6 months it is no big deal. rotflmo
---

I need to locate a VietNam era Flack Jacket made with the old metal plates inside. When I wore one, it REALLY helped burn the Reserve Fuel. Sure would be nice to have one to do the mowing in. Maybe a Back-Pack with some sand inside will end up being what I get.

The bad news is, the more you loose, the harder it is to Burn more off, because you are using less Fuel just moving around at the lower weight.

Best of luck to all you folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red you ar eon the right track and there is some good advice here. Six and a half years ago I decided to get back into reasonable shape. I quit drinking, smoking and chewing( Skoal)on the same day. Approximately 90 days later I had lost 78 lbs, I went from 296 to 218. I ran in the morning cut down on my fat intake started strength training, became more active during my non-work hours. I also did not eat anything after 1800 hrs. I work construction and I am usually up at 0430 0r 0500, I try to work out a little but I still don't eat anything after 1800-1830. Good Luck. Get a scale and weigh yourself regularly, cut out the really bad calories, I know I will make some enemies here, but beer is one of the worst ones. You just have to burn more than you take in, not as much to maintain but alot more to lose. I can be done.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Couple of recommendations. One of my other hobbies is racing triathlon. If you are just trying to get into shape, one of the biggest problems many people face is having too high of expectations. They overdo it or don't get results fast enough and tend to get discouraged.

I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor, learn to use it and start walking. If you really want to 'get in shape' and not just lose a weight, low heart rate cardio exercise is the way to go. Mixing that with weight lifting is also important, because muscle has a high caloric requirement. It is frustrating at first (I am also trying to 'get back in shape' for racing next year), but the results are more lasting.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
quote:
A slow metabolism and lack of exercise combined with a job where I sit behind a desk and everybody brings food in all the time just didn't work out. Red

Didn't work out? Interesting choice of words, there. Wink The middle aged spread just caught you early. Don't make it any more complicated than it is.

As far as getting in shape, that is different than losing weight. Getting in shape means aerobic exercise, and with your back (and mine), the best way is non-impact, high aerobic workouts. Swimming may be the very best.

Losing weight involves either a substantial increase in calory use, or a substantial decrease in calory consumption. Personally, I am unable to limit my calory intake (personality flaw), but I AM able to maintain a fairly good size muscle mass (6'5" and 240 lbs, lean). Building and maintaining muscle takes lots of calories, far, far more than aerobic exercise.

The stair climbing is a combination of both approaches, and will help tremendously, if it doesn't tear up your body.

The best way to avoid back surgery is through an excercise program specifically designed to strengthen your core muscles, such as Pilates. With your back, I would strongly suggest consulting with a Physical Therapist specializing in Sports Medicine to develop a plan. There is to much at stake to go at it wrong. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I teach spinning classes 6 times a week, take aerobic boxing classes and also compete in powerlifting competitions. This keeps me in the gym 18 to 20 hours a week training. I turn 48 next month and am within 10 pounds of my college wrestling weight. Start slow, keep working at it and perhaps you will get to the point the back surgery is not needed. Best wishes and good luck!

Man, and I thought I was in pretty good shape... Drop the sugar intake, espeically sodas and a modified adkins will help you get the weight down. Exercise, even if it's just walking a a few miles will definately help too.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, what you eat will have an impact, but build a better butter burner and you can eat just about anything.

Did alot of road and mountain bike racing in my twenties/thirties and here is what I learned that I apply to my training up to hunting season.

First, I will never be 28 again, but I can come close.

At a minimum be consistant (3days min a week, don't go more than 3days without exercising a certain muscle group) and have some intensity (WORK UP to a heart rate as high as it can go at least once a week, when I raced this was 205 beats per minute, now it is 185). I road and mtn bike when the snow melts until it falls again. I transition into pushups/hiking/treadmill/scouting/hunting. Those stairs are great, but pay attention to the knees since climbing tends to aggravate my patella tendon. At work a few times every couple days, drop down and do fifty (I try to work up to 3 sets of 100). Those stairs and pushups done regularly will prepare the major muscles needed to get the job done before and after you get your animal on the ground. Last, but not least, try to make your exercise fun.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can try swiming as it will burn fat off you faster than anything else. Avoid sugars not all carbs are bad its the sugar you do not want. Eat 6-8 small meals a day that is including snacks. I will eat breakfast, then I have a protein shake or bar for a snack then I eat lunch and so on. If you get Protein bars or shakes really watch the sugars and cholesterol and cals. I recommend EAS carb control bars and shakes. They use a Soy protein and are low in cals. You can find them at walmart pretty cheap. Try keep your actual meals 400 cals or less. I know sometimes it does not happen. It will come off I used to weigh 265lbs and I am 5'11 I know that sounds bad but I do have a pretty good build but I was covering up with fat. In 2 years I have lost 35lbs and feel pretty good. My body fat is about 19% and I want to get it down to 15% or less so I need to take off another 15 to 20lbs but I will get there slowly.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote