Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Non-resident OTC tags?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I was offered a job teaching elementary school in SW Wyoming, so it looks like my daughter and I will be moving there in July, and I will be hunting as a non-resident this hunting season.

I am wondering what my options are for tags this year. I have been putting in for NR preference points, but the draws have already passed this year(I wasn't sure I would be moving so I didn't put in for tags).

I am wondering if there will be NR tags(leftover tags or whatever) available for non trophy species. Do I have other options such as reasonably priced landowner tags? Basically I would be happy with a cow elk, or a mule deer doe and pronghorn doe.

I have been reading the WDG&F website, but they make it clear as mud.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the 20th of July the list will come out for
"left-over" tags.
1st come, 1st served

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
"left-over" tags.
1st come, 1st served

Make a move the first day, they sell out fast.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
"left-over" tags.
1st come, 1st served

Make a move the first day, they sell out fast.

+1

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
"left-over" tags.
1st come, 1st served

I thought about asking you this question directly, but at some point I will have to start paying you as a "personal consultant".

Mid July will give me enough time to get up to speed on the zones for the area I will be living in. I do have another question, can the left over tags be bought online or do you have to purchase them in Cheyenne?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Online or at a license selling agent or directly at the G&F office in Cheyenne. Agents have direct link to G&F for left over tags. If you do it online, you have to be diligent and quick. Like at exactly 8;00 the day they become available you start applying and may have to try over and over. Where as at an agent they apply for you, then the quota is immediately updated. It can be very hectic for popular areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought about asking you this question directly, but at some point I will have to start paying you as a "personal consultant".

No need for that, just visit again with your
wonderful daughter so she can play with
her "cowgirl" friend.
99% of the tags will be for slickheads of the species but they eat as well as the others.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full price licenses go on sale at 8AM Mountain time on 7/10 and doe/fawn, cow/calf license at the same time on 7/17. The best way to have a chance at licenses where there are very few left (that list will be up by 7/1)is to be logged onto your account before 8AM those morning and be into the section to pick the licenses you want so that as soon as they are highlighted at 8AM you can hit what you want. Some tags last year were taken in the first 15 seconds after that section went active.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for all the info.

Shawn, I'm not sure I understand what you wrote:

quote:
Originally posted by shawnmc:
Online or at a license selling agent or directly at the G&F office in Cheyenne. Agents have direct link to G&F for left over tags. If you do it online, you have to be diligent and quick. Like at exactly 8;00 the day they become available you start applying and may have to try over and over. Where as at an agent they apply for you, then the quota is immediately updated. It can be very hectic for popular areas.

Do you mean that the license agent is able to buy the tag before the general public?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you mean that the license agent is able to buy the tag before the general public?

Jason

Jason---The license agents are no different than individuals doing it themselves on their home computer. They don't have the capability to get a license for you any faster than you can do it yourself at home online on your own computer. Just be logged in on your account before 8AM like I mentioned above. If there is a line at an agent it would be a lot slower waitng for your turn than doing it yourself at home right at 8AM. As soon as you pick your license, whether you do it yourself or have an agent do it, the license is removed from availability for about 30 minutes to allow completion of the application and payment for it. If you don't complete the transaction within the precribed amount of time the system will time out and the license goes back on the leftover list for someone else. Last year that happened a few times and people were able to buy licenses 30-40 minutes after they went on sale even though they were initially taken right away by someone else and removed from the leftover list. One guy on another site was wondering how another guy claimed he bought a license an hour after they went on sale when he went online in the first 10 minutes and it showed that license wasn't available. Not knowing how the system worked he gave up and logged out, while the other guy stayed on, kept trying, and finally got a license that was originally taken and then went back on the available list because it wasn't paid for in the allotted amount of time. Hope that helps you a little on how the system works!

As a side note, please be aware that if you aren't moving to Wyoming until July that you will have to apply as a nonresident again next year since Wyoming requires that you live there a full year before you can apply as a resident. Next year I would suggest that you use your PPs as a NR if you have any for deer, antelope, or elk because the following year when you apply for licenses as a resident they won't be useable because there is no PP system for those animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant that the agent applies for you, while you are standing there. The only advantage is their computer may be faster than yours. I have bought tags both ways, online and from an agent. I rarely use the leftover tag, but buy one anyway.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Thanks again for all the great info.

quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:

As a side note, please be aware that if you aren't moving to Wyoming until July that you will have to apply as a nonresident again next year since Wyoming requires that you live there a full year before you can apply as a resident. Next year I would suggest that you use your PPs as a NR if you have any for deer, antelope, or elk because the following year when you apply for licenses as a resident they won't be useable because there is no PP system for those animals.

That is my exact plan. I don't have too many NR points, but I figure they might get me something. It is great to know that I should be able to do some meat hunting this year and next.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Jason, don't know that it will happen again, but last year when the left over tags went on sale they were all bought up in the first 5 minutes.

We were on line and set up less than 5 minutes after starting time and they were done gone.

From what I heard the tags that had been left over all sold to people that were in line at the main office of Wyoming Game & Fish.

The person we will be hunting with stated that they sold out faster than he had ever seen and he was there.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Jason, don't know that it will happen again, but last year when the left over tags went on sale they were all bought up in the first 5 minutes.

We were on line and set up less than 5 minutes after starting time and they were done gone.

From what I heard the tags that had been left over all sold to people that were in line at the main office of Wyoming Game & Fish.

The person we will be hunting with stated that they sold out faster than he had ever seen and he was there.

That is completely false in other than some units that had very few tags left like may be the case for what CHC wanted! There is no one place that can sell licenses any faster than another, including the main G&F Office in Cheyenne, because it is all done the same way by computer whether it's done at a G&F Office, a licensing agent, or on a home computer. Some tags sell out quickly, but there were many tags left over all the way through the seasons in some areas! Unit 23 for buck and doe antelope is a good example, as there were literally 100s left after the season was over. I don't know where some of this crap gets started, but what CHC stated is not true and whoever told him what he posted is full of baloney! A person on their home computer has a much better chance at getting a license like we are talking about than a person waiting in a line at a G&F Office or a licensing agent. I know what I'm talking about because I've hunted Wyoming most every year since 1992 and know their licensing system as well as anyone in their Department.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TopGun, I merely stated what happened to me and my wife. If you think I am lying that is your prerogative. I know what happened in our case ans I know what Tom Kessel WV2WY the outfitter we are dealing with explained to me as he was at the office to pick up a tag and he stated that it was the first time in the years he had been operating up there that all the available tags for those units sold out like that.

If you will go back and notice I did not say anywhere that it was a state wide phenomena, but as you said it did/does happen in some units.

Calling me a liar over something that actually happened to me shows how ignorant and arrogant you are.

If I had not experienced what I did, I would not have made the comments I did.

I can guarantee you that I was not the only person that was not able to get a tag because they sold out.

For your information, not everyone, especially non-residents working with outfitters, is in a situation where they can pick and choose. Also last time I noticed most of the units in any state that operates a draw system that end up with lots of left over tags usually seem to also have accessibility issues.

Someone unfamiliar with the particular state may not have the luxury of time to locate all these units and then find property they can access to hunt.

Dude, you need to check your attitude toward me at the door before you start calling me or anyone else a liar when they are describing something they actually experienced.

Jason asked for information on Non-Resident tags in Wyoming. I merely passed along what happened to myself and my wife trying to, pick up left over tags last year, nothing more.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is completely false in other than some units that had very few tags left like may be the case for what CHC wanted! There is no one place that can sell licenses any faster than another, including the main G&F Office in Cheyenne, because it is all done the same way by computer whether it's done at a G&F Office, a licensing agent, or on a home computer. Some tags sell out quickly, but there were many tags left over all the way through the seasons in some areas! Unit 23 for buck and doe antelope is a good example, as there were literally 100s left after the season was over. I don't know where some of this crap gets started, but what CHC stated is not true and whoever told him what he posted is full of baloney! A person on their home computer has a much better chance at getting a license like we are talking about than a person waiting in a line at a G&F Office or a licensing agent. I know what I'm talking about because I've hunted Wyoming most every year since 1992 and know their licensing system as well as anyone in their Department.

Once again the difference between real world experience and internet knowledge is exposed.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

CHC---Read the first sentence again in my post, as it's not at all what you are saying! You need to get a fucking life and read what you wrote before you get in my shit again! Your post, which I have just C/Pd above, says ALL tags were taken in the first five minutes. You did not say what you now say you said that you meant in the unit you wanted, which is exactly what I stated a second time after stating it in my original post to the OP! I also don't give a shit who you dealt with who told you that because, as I stated, it doesn't matter where you enter your information from to get a leftover tag. When the information is input into the G&F website for a license from a G&F Office, a licensing agent, or you at your home computer, the system does it's thing and if there is a license available that you click on and you pay for it with a credit card at that time it is then considered sold, is yours, and does not go back on the leftover list. Nobody anywhere has any better chance at getting one and, as it says right on the G&F website, those licenses are sold on a first come, first served basis! Comprehende, amigo?!!! Now take a fucking hike and if you don't like people contradicting what you say, then either don't make a fucking post at all or make sure what you post is accurate. PS: I'd be writing the same thing to anyone else that put that post up with incorrect information, so don't give us any of your BS about nobody liking you either like you always do, LOL! You bring on your own shit when you post crap like that and have probably hardly ever been out of Olney to know all you try to pass off!!! If you would ever visit a psychiatrist I'd guarantee that you would come out diagnosed as having an inferiority complex!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TopGun, you really need to chill out Dude. I killed my first pronghorn in Unit 99 in Wyoming in 1993. I have been hunting elk off and on since 1992. You really need to calm down before you have a stroke and you really need to not be saying stuff you have no knowledge of.

Since my first elk hunt in '92, I have successfully hunted Elk/Moose/Mule Deer/White Tail/Pronghorn/Black Bear/Woodland Caribou/Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou and Musk Ox, just to name the big stuff.

I killed my first white tail in 1970 here in Texas. Since then I have hunted in Arizona/New Mexico/Nebraska/Colorado/Wyoming/Idaho/Newfoundland and Nunavut.

The only person showing how big an ass they are is you. I have the pictures and the trophies to prove what I have done. For this year I have already drew a late season cow tag in Colorado and am waiting to see if my wife and I drew doe antelope tags in Wyoming.

I did not claim that tags state wide had sold out, just what my wife and I experienced. Your really turning into a pathetic piece of trash fella.

At no place or no where have I seen the word moderator listed by your name, so you really don't need to be telling anyone what they can or cannot post or whether they should be on this site or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again the difference between real world experience and internet knowledge is exposed.

LHOOK, if you will take the time to check with Tom Kessel, WV2WY on here, you will find out that what I stated happening to myself and my wife is actually what happened. Are you man enough to do that or are you like TopGun, all mouth?

My mistake was simply not specifying that it was the units we were trying to get tags for. Why don't you prosecute me, but don't tell me that I do not know what I am talking about, because I have witnesses on this on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you understand English and what you typed that you are arguing about you big jackass? Here is the sentence you typed: Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

NOWHERE does it say there or in the rest of your post that you were talking about one unit that you wanted a tag for. You said ALL tags were sold out you jackass and now you're doing like you always do and making a real jerkoff of yourself! You need to readjust your fucking attitude and I don't need to cool down or anything else dude!!! That's pretty good one that you're telling me not to post what I don't have knowledge of, LOL! No wonder most members have your sorry ass on Ignore, LOL!!! Pretty soon you'll be talking to just yourself as everyone will be that way!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by Crazyhorseconsulting posted 29 May 2013 13:14 Show Post
Ignored post by Crazyhorseconsulting posted 29 May 2013 13:17 Show Post

If either of these are to me I am not hearing you. I put you on ignore when you showed just how cowardly and unbalanced you are by threatening another member's child.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LHOOK, if you will take the time to check with Tom Kessel, WV2WY on here, you will find out that what I stated happening to myself and my wife is actually what happened. Are you man enough to do that or are you like TopGun, all mouth?

My mistake was simply not specifying that it was the units we were trying to get tags for. Why don't you prosecute me, but don't tell me that I do not know what I am talking about, because I have witnesses on this on.

***LHOOK7---That's what he posted to you and it's now admitting to you that he fucked up, but then he goes on a tirade in his other posts to me with all kinds of BS calling me all kinds of stuff when I told him he fucked up and he now admits it right out on the Forum!!! He owes me a big apology for his fuckup and further rants, but I'd bet he's not man enough to tell me that this whole thing started because of him not expressing himself properly to begin with and causing this whole hassle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

***Here's what he posted to you and it's now admitting to you that he fucked up, but then he goes on a tirade in his other post to me with all kinds of BS calling me all kinds of stuff when I told him he fucked up and he now admits it right out on the Forum!!!

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
killpc homer That's about all you can do when you're dealing with this guy other than to put him on Ignore. I won't do that because I like a joke or two during the day and I can almost count on it when he posts on this site, LOL! In one post to me he says he says this: "I did not claim that tags state wide had sold out, just what my wife and I experienced. Your really turning into a pathetic piece of trash fella." Then to you he admits he fucked up. Maybe he thinks that's what they mean when they say to cover all your bases, LOL!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At no point did I say all the tags state wide sold out. I said the tags we were applying for sold out.

TopGun, how about you grow a little bit of spine and gonads and address the other accusations you made about me, or do you want to keep showing your true colors and keep on making false statements that you have no actual knowledge of?

The only mistake I made was not specifying that it was the tags in the units we were wanting to hunt in that had sold out, so sue me.

You on the other hand made several statements concerning me that are out and out lies plus you act like you are a moderator on this site, which you are not.

The statement I made about all the tags selling out was true, also, I never specified that it was a STATEWIDE occurrence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At no point did I say all the tags state wide sold out. I said the tags we were applying for sold out.

TopGun, how about you grow a little bit of spine and gonads and address the other accusations you made about me, or do you want to keep showing your true colors and keep on making false statements that you have no actual knowledge of?

The only mistake I made was not specifying that it was the tags in the units we were wanting to hunt in that had sold out, so sue me.

You on the other hand made several statements concerning me that are out and out lies plus you act like you are a moderator on this site, which you are not.

The statement I made about all the tags selling out was true, also, I never specified that it was a STATEWIDE occurrence.

***Well now you've made a statement that you didn't do something in one sentence and then further on you have stated exactly what I have been saying all along. You fucked up and now you've admitted it twice in the last couple posts, LOL! Like I said earlier: "Get a life!", as all you want to do on these Forums is argue with people just to see your name in print even when it's all BS and incorrect stuff! Who gives a rat's ass where you say you've been? If you were up on everything, you wouldn't fuck up as much on here as you do! No, I'm no Moderator, so you keep right on spouting your horseshit, as I have to go run my DD Pointer that's one hell of a lot smarter than you, as when I say STOP, he stops!!! Byebye, buy bonds!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBrown, my apologies for turning this into a pissing contest. I merely related what happened to myself and my wife last year concerning our attempt to draw left over tags.

If you have the available time to do the research you might be able to find units with plenty of left over tags but they may be on the other side of the state from where you will be and not all units receive cow/doe/fawn tags each year. Both of the units we were trying to get into last year were not allocated any doe/fawn antelope tags for this year. Also be aware that some of the units with large numbers of left over tags are also units with accessibility issues for sportsmen. I have read in the past of people being able to pick up left over buck antelope tags in the eastern part of the state and being able to spend a little time and find landowners that would let them hunt for a trespass fee. It will just require some research on your part. Best of Luck with your project.

The first speedgoat hunt I went on was in Unit 99 in the SW corner of the state near Evanston, we stayed in a motel in Lyman.

Again, my apologies for distracting from your question.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
My memory may be off but I think some cow elk tags were still available in Oct last year in area 63. Not sure if you want to drive that far from SW Wyoming or not. Also not sure as many elk tags will be available this year.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year, as non residents, my buddy and I purchased otc leftover cow elk and general deer permits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year I'm in the draw for a LE deer unit with another guy with our average of 5.5 PPs, but I usually just wait and buy a leftover region deer tag in September for where I normally hunt each year.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Jason

You will love it in that area, I lived in Mountain View for about 6 years.
It is a sportsmans paradise in that area.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote