Find
Notify
Tools

Downloading maps onto a GPS
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
Hey guys,
I recently acquired a Garmin Etrex Vista. I have gotten to know the controls and everything pretty well and am pleased with the unit as a whole, but I notice it doesn't have very detailed maps in it...at least of my area in Northwestern Montana.
I have the computer interface cable and I know how to hook it to the machine, but I can't get the GPS and the computer to communicate.
I have Delorme Topo USA v3.0 and am trying to figure out how to download topo maps from this program onto my GPS.
I know Garmin makes Mapsource, but it is going to cost me $80 to get it and I would rather use what I got if at all possible.
BTW I am running a Dell with Windows XP if it matters...

[ 05-24-2003, 21:21: Message edited by: FarRight ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Legend and a camo. I use the National geographic state topo, and Mapsource topo. I have a laptop I use sometimes to do real time tracking while we are driving.
The base map on your vista is just that a base. It is not that good. You can't download the Delorme maps into your GPS. You can load waypoints, and I assume you can do routs and tracks with Delorme.
I didn't know which Mapsource I wanted. At first I wanted TOPO then I thought I could use Roads and rec. I ended up getting both. The topo is really pretty good as far as having roads in the areas I hunt. It also has very good topography for a small unit.
Both can be had on Ebay for about 60.00 dollars or so.
Both of them have points of intrest. These points of intrest are also very handy. The vista will hold the west side of Montana from Bozeman to the Idaho Border. With the Roads and rec. The vista will hold all of Montana all of Idaho and half of washington all at the same time.
Both types of maps need to be set up after you load them. Make sure you get the new free software version from Garmin. I would be glad to help you in any way.
Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Okay, thanks for the help. I guess I ain't gonna get it for free.
So you're saying it would be worth it for me just to get the Mapsource stuff from Garmin or is the National Geographic stuff better?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mapsource is the only maps you can load on to the GPS.
National Geographic, is a map program that uses USGS maps all the way down to 7.5 minute in size. I like NG, because I can print maps with it. I also manage my way points, tracks and routs with it. If I go hunting to a new place I will make a route with NG. Then I use the mapsource map in the GPS to navagate to the hunting spot. After I am done I save the track and put it on the NG. I then save these and notes about what I saw and when. I am sure that your Delorme would do the same stuff as NG.
If you want maps on the your GPS you will need Mpasource. If you use it mostly for driving to a hunting spot, Hiking, Hunting, fishing, or anything else like that you will be pleased with TOPO. If you want to drive around towns mostly the roads and rec are the way to go. Like I said keep your eyes open and you might find a great deal.
Will Delorme recognize you have a GPS hooked up?
Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use a Garmin Etrex Vista. I use it with the
Roads & Recreation CD and am able to load almost
all of California. Many of the roads on ranches
I hunt are even there. I also use it for exploring on my BMW GS motorcycle. If you are having problems making them connect try quitting programs like palm sync (if you use a palm pilot).

Someone mentioned printing maps. I really like this site: www.mytopo.com and from there you can
create a map online and for ten bucks have a nice
small map topo map created on waterproof paper, folded, and mailed right to you within a week. I like to have that as a back up to mark road conditions in addition to storing waypoints in the GPS.

-Sean Browne

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While we are on the subject. What is a good Gps unit to get that will allow me to navigate streets in new areas and also be useful for hunting. I travel all the time and it would be great to be able to download/install the new areas before I left home. Hopefully something simple.

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no contest - the new garmin GPS v - certainly in the uk it gives zip code accuracy and directions - size of a mobile phone - moving map and downloadable software. Hell of a package for the money. [Smile]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the main differences between the Garmin GPS V and the Vista? Is one better than the other for offroading and hunting? I have a GPSIII and want to upgade to one that will have topo maps basically.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were going to get another GPS and money was no option I think I would get the 76S. It is basically a vista with a case that floats and no gasket to fall off. I would like to try the GPS V with Auto routing.
For right now my Legend does everything I need. I just can't quite as many maps on it. But it only takes about 12 minutes to load different ones. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Garmin GPS v will give autoroute directions while also allowing you to download topo maps for hunting expeditions - all in a package the size of a cell phone (fat one!) Etrex range do not yet allow for imput of an address followed by full autorouting with turn instructions!

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 76S is a great all around unit with lots of memory. The GPS V doesn't fit into the pocket as well because of its triangle size. The V works with the metro map because of the address look up feature.

If any one has question email me. yana@netnet.net

I deal with these direct every day since I sell them at the store I work for marine parts.

The maps are good in Garmin that can be down loaded. You can alsways find something out there better but most will not "talk " to Garmin units. Loding the map is easy

Hcliff

PS I personally use a Map 76 regular unit.

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hcliff,

Any advice on GPS that will take nauticle maps?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
eTrex Comparisons.... [Eek!]

[URL=http://www.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp?products=010-00190-00&products=010-00212-00&products=010-00256-00&products=010-00225-00&products=010-00243-00&products=010-00190- 40&banner=/graphics/outdoorPIC.jpg]eTrex Comparisons[/URL]

$bob$

[ 05-29-2003, 16:25: Message edited by: LDHunter ]

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a Mapsource Topo for sale? Looking for East AND West AND Alaska/Hawaii.

You know that you can copy it to your hard drive, install it, and just run it from your hard drive too right?

I have directions from Garmin to do this.

email responses to mr_appraiser@hotmail.com as doubt I'll remember to check this thread... CRS.... <sigh>

$bob$

[ 05-29-2003, 17:35: Message edited by: LDHunter ]

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H I gave you a private message.

LD Hunter you need the Cd rom in the drive when downloading the information. The program stays in the computer but the map infor doesn't. I like the program because you can make files with your waypoints in the computer. This is great for tacking movement of aniamls year after year.

I believe that Garmin is comimg out with a new updated Topo map soon

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote