Find
Notify
Tools

WI Bear Tag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I just got notification that I drew a bear for zone 'C'. I have never hunted bear before, and was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom they would like to offer?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use a real tough bullet. Your shots will be very close and anything from the .243 on up will do. It's a perfect hunt for something like a 30-30. Also there is a very good chance your bears will show up at the last of shooting light so low power optics with good glass and a reticle that shows up on a dark target in low light can be the difference between a big bear and settling for smaller bear at sunset. Best of luck and enjoy the bear sticks, cheese, and beer.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot the first decent bear that comes in.

By that I mean one that well go 250 or bigger live weight.

Start baiting in July a couple days a week then in August every day.

Have at least two bait sites at least a couple miles apart I would prefer 5 miles apart.

Use sizing stakes at your baits to many first timers shoot really small bears.

Look at a lot of pictures of bears know what a decent bear looks like.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If i may ask, how many years did you apply in zone c before getting your tag? I recently purchased some land in zone c and should start applying again.

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I had 3 preference points. I was saving up for a 'D' permit, but I got a few nice bears on my trail camera this last fall. One was a really nice sow so I caved and went for the 'c' tag. My brother got his bear tag this year with only one point saved from last year. Judging by how the tags are awarded, it is possible that you could bear hunt every other year in zone 'C'.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/bearstat.pdf

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not put in for a tag for three years and put in last December and drew a C tag.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of numbers are you seeing?
How long is the season?
Be a good chance to show some bear pics... Wink

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Without baiting I had 4 separate bears on my trail cam. Our season lasts a little over a month, Sept. 9- Oct 13.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
This is the one I want to shoot:

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Any tips on baiting? Again, I'm a complete NOOB but I am trying to read up on it. A lot of the info I'm getting wont work here in WI, due to the regs. I don't think I can use a barrel.

. No person may place, use or hunt over bait or scent that: • contains any animal part or animal by-product. Animal part or by-product includes, but is not limited to, honey, bones, fish, meat, solid animal fat, bacon grease, animal carcass or parts of animal carcasses, but does not include liquid scents or cheese; Note: Attracting bears by the methods commonly referred to as “honey burns” or “bacon burns” is illegal. • contains or is contained within metal, paper, plastic, glass, wood or other similar processed materials. This does not apply to bait placed in hollow logs or stumps or to scent materials;

---Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
There plenty of bait sellers out there check Craig's list under sporting goods. Find a couple hollow logs about 18 inches high. Cut a slab off a log for the top use at least a 20 lb rock to hold it down

Here's one close to you.

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/spo/5465701310.html

Bears well eat as much bait as you but out early on I use around half a 5 gallon pail.

Closer to season a full bucket every day.

I would really suggest finding another place to bait a few miles away from your main spot.

All it takes is another hunter close by and bang your main bait no longer has the bear you want. Or the neighboring farmer has corn damage and the DNR trap and remove your bear just before season.

A high berry crop or acorn fall can turn your baits into hit or miss.

Place your bait where you can have a stand down wind.

If your using a ground blind leave the door and windows open when you not there. So the bears can check it out without having to rip into it.

Expect the bears to mess with your game cam.

If you still have my number feel free to call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put a log slab on the bottom of you bait log too...otherwise the coon dig under and use it as a gravity feeder and they do empty them out in a hurry. Also if you spray the area with anise oil, bears will know when there's a new load of bait...once in awhile they will come in as soon as you leave. When hunting it, go in with two or more, and have one bait while you get into the stand and have at least one walk away and drive away...the bear might just be waiting for you to leave before coming in.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips!

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A Bear that looks like he has Long Legs is a small Bear.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
A Bear that looks like he has Long Legs is a small Bear.

Not always. All blondes are stupid?

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
This is the one I want to shoot:

That bear should be very easy to size just measure his height and length you have the location and you can measure the trees and spots around him.