New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gratuities on an Guided Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the standard gratuity to give on an guided hunt? Does the standard change when the outfitter himself is your guide?

[ 09-17-2003, 13:11: Message edited by: CraigP ]

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
CraigP
I tip what I can afford and commensurate to the
guides effort.I have tipped alot and on one trip
I tipped nothing.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CraigP:
Does the standard change when the outfitter himself is your guide?

Craig,
If the outfitter is also the guide, the best gratuity you can give him is to book another hunt with him!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know some outfitters who will NOT accept tips if they are guiding. That seems to make sense to me but I will still leave them something if they really worked their ass off and I took something exceptional on the hunt.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I figure about 10 % of hunt to the guide if its intense one on one. If he worked hard and I was offered a chance to be successful. I find most outfitters wont take tips if they are their own guides. they are already saving the guides salary... And if it is a great effort adn successful, I figure a tip the size of the out of state tag fee is about right when sized to the quarry shot: 125 for turkey, 320 for elk, 200 for deer, etc. Especially if they help haul it out for you.... I also feel that if you are pressed to make the expenses for thehunt, and the guides know that, then they will also work extra hard for another working stiff!!!! NEVER forget that a tip is a tip, and is voluntary.

Guides are in the wrong business if they stop appreciating and start expecting...

best

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

You'll are about right with this so far.

I guide in Wyoming on "EASY" private ranch hunts for Deer and Prognhorns. I have clients that saved for years to hunt and we tagged out and I received 100.00 for the week. This is very meaningful as I know that this guy was paying for this hunt for 3 years in 10.00 and 20.00 installments. I had another who came out because a friend invited him, buys a left over tag in town, writes a corparate check for the hunt and gives me 1000 1 dollar bills for a tip for 2 days of hunting. This ment nothing to this guy as I have heard the "tip" for the yearly 30 days in Tanzania is 10g's.

Really it is what you can afford. If that is 50.00 for a week or 250.00 per day.
Again in reality 200.00 to 250.00 a week for the average "deer" hunt in the west is about right
ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote