Find
Notify
Tools

Would you call him a hunter?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted
A deer hunter in Scott Co. Kentucky fired his rifle in a rural subdivision killing a 8 point buck with 3 legs.

I hope there are no more idiots that live near my family.

I could have found a better way of taking this deer other than shooting my high powered rifle in someone's front yard. Bowhunting his route to the subdivision sounds a little better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Even a handgun would have been a better choice I think. I would, however, be interested in knowing how rural this subdivision is. I dated a girl last year whose parents lived in a "rural subdivision" of Columbus Georgia and, to be honest, I would have felt comfortable using a rifle there.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was it hunting season was it a rifle zone. Lots of subdivisons have hills ect that could serve as good back stops. Shoot some city even higher rifleman to reduce the deer herd. I guess I would need more info before I would condem him.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Put me down with p dog shooter....

Was the guy actually hunting or putting down an injured deer? Did he have a safe back stop?

Does the law oblige him to use a rifle only or did he feel that perhaps the rifle was the best tool for the circumstances?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our limits here are no shooting unless at least 200 m from a home or other inhabited building. Since my country is pretty crowded, special care is requested in many places. However, people on the country side are more tolerant, especially when it comes to hunt wild pigs doing gamage to agriculture crops.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I have contacted channel 18 and asked if they have a link to the story.

From what I gather, the deer had been walking on three legs for a couple of years.

The hunter did not live near by, and there were a few homes in the photo's.

posted Hide Post
gsp,

It would be interesting to know more...

If the guy was not a local, I doubt if he knew that the deer had been like that for a couple of years.

I will tell you what. Anytime I see a deer that I think is suffering I will put if down if at all possible if it is safe to do so but we are lucky that our laws allow us a lot of lee way in doing that. And I have shot a 3 legged deer (out of season); it was in a pityful condition and I am convinced it was the absolutely right thing to do..

Regards,

Pete

[ 11-12-2003, 15:08: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without knowing the details, and not necessarily trusting the news media to get them right (ignorance if nothing else, how often are poachers and vandals automatically labelled hunters in the news?), I would not be too hasty to judge. I don't even think the question "Would you call him a hunter" necessarily applies to the situation. Was he hunting? I doubt it. Target of opportunity or mercy killing of an injured animal? More likely. Was it safely done? That is the real question. Interesting topic.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Elias>
posted
I live close our capital city.Sometimes when happens an accident car/moose,and the animal escapes injured.The polis calls to nearest huntingteams contact person who usually takes two men with him,and takes care of the animal.Usually they are forced to shoot in suburbs,between houses and so on.You can do it,but with real care,I know one fella who is makin this.Usually the cops walks behind them and watches the situation.He told me once that he climbed on the roof of one house,and shot from there as the animal was on the backyard of one house.He said the only way was to shoot downwards,against ground.Sometimes the situations can be really difficult,and it takes time and nerves/brains to take down an injured moose.

Elias

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I found the story, here is the link, it is a video, once the page comes up, click on the story at the top of the page 18 news

posted Hide Post
According to the video this isn't the first time he hasn't followed the rules. If that is the case again this time, he should pay the piper.

Posts: 10 | Location: EC WI | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the news story is correct he is a poacher and an idiot that should not be allowed to own firearms.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote