Find
Notify
Tools

pronghorn/elk combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
Is it possible to do a combination trip for both antelope and elk? I know the two don't live in the same area, but I am planning a trip for elk and wouldn't mind getting an antelope either before or after the elk days were done. Do the rifle seasons work out for these two? If so, what state(s) would you recommend?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of areas in WY where you could do an elk/antelope combo. The problem is that in many of the areas you find both, the odds of drawing one of the tags let alone both is going to be very difficult. Some areas in the state, you could do both, but would have a short drive between the two.

Generally speaking, antelope season run earlier in the year (Sept-Oct) and elk start a little bit later (Oct-Nov).

Personally, I would concentrate on those areas around Pinedale, Casper, Saratoga or Baggs.

Good luck.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know the two don't live in the same area,...

Actually Captain, there are areas where they do live together. I hunt there all the time, and have had to go way around a herd of goats to get to the Elk from the opposite direction more than once. As a matter of fact, I have been in position to be able to shoot both - IF I wanted a goat (NEVER) and nothing ran after the first shot. As a matter of fact, it is quite common to see them in close proximity, though not interspersed. I think the Elk use the goats for lookouts, as they usually run at the sight of a hunter/pickup/4-wheeler, etc. Spooking either will alert/spook the other - sort of a symbiotic relationship!

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Rifle seasons also cross over in Montana & there are some area where you can hunt both. Getting drawn for the nonres tags is another story.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up unit 390 in Montana. It is a fairly easy draw for lopes and the elk draw is for most areas. There is a 2 week overlap of the elk and lope seasons. Oct 22 - Nov. 5

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the FWIW dept, I've made three ways in Wy. Goats, mulies, and elk.
Don't try it on a week long vacation tho. Big Grin

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for the tips. I'll have to do some more looking at the areas mentioned. I'm planning this for fall of 07, so I will have plenty of time to make a plan.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote