New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka/Sako in a 30/06 or a 7mm mag?
 Login/Join

<Coot22>
posted
I live here in Oregon and I know that both of these guns are more than adequate to do anything that I plan on doing here in the NW. After reading the posts on the topic of 30/06's as to why not?... I narrowed my choices down to these two guns. I will be buying a tikka or a sako...either or. I know that The 7mm has more fps however it has fewer choices of bullet grains. The 30/06 may have less fps but it releases more of its energy within the carcass of the animal as it goes through than a 7mm. Yet, the 7mm shoots flatter and has a longer range...not that I would really need to take any shots over 300 yds. here in the NW. So now you see my dilemma. What are your expert opinions? I am leaning towards the 30/06...talk me out of it! Thanks in advance.

-Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 3006.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Coot22>
posted
ok, let me throw this into the mix, what if I was regularly taking shots of 300+ yards in eastern Oregon which is common. Then would I go with the 7mm mag?

-Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if I were to buy another rifle I would rather have a 7WSM(new) or a 300 WSM in a short action rifle such a Remington model 7. I doubt Remington will chamber their rifle in WSM cartridges but only time will tell. I would also wait until July and see what available and keep tabs on whether or not that the velocity of the WSM or (RSAUM)Remington short ultra mag are true in factory offering. Another thing you might want to do is compare the prices of ammo between 7mm magnum and WSM/(RSAUM). If these new cartridge don't interest you then I would choose a 7mm Remington Magnum. I hunt mule deer/elk in eastern Oregon also and with a 7mm Rem mag it is perfect for those shot across the canyons or the flat deserts. But don't forget that the 7mm Rem mag kicks harder too. So where do hunt in eastern Oregon?

<ChuckD>
posted
Coot- I really don't think it makes all that much difference. I too live in Oregon and hunt on the westside, have owned both, and have taken both deer and elk with each. My longest shot ever on a deer was 395 yds with my 7 mag. I watched it for 30 minutes or so and waited until I could see the antlers as substantial (against a black stump), and shot from a prone position. I thought I had blown the shot, as dirt and sticks flew everywhere upon my shot, but my Dad insisted that it had gone down. 30 minutes later down a 70% slope he was proven correct. I knew the distance because I had performed the traverse on that unit 5 weeks prior. This 7 mag has always been wonderfully accurate, so I had enough faith in the gun and myself to take that shot, although I did discover that it has substantial muzzle-blast, particularily in a prone position! That was 20-25 years ago, my Dad (and favorite hunting partner) is dead. He had convinced me that I was good enough to make that shot. I still have the rifle (Golden Eagle)and the memories, but these days hunt with muzzleloaders and make the game one of stalking skills vs sniping skills. Were I starting out, I would look at the 2 calibers you have chosen, and find a gun I truely liked in one of them. I tend to like some of the older guns (pre-64 mod. 70s) so It would be more a matter of finding the right rifle than worrying caliber to death. As a matter of fact, my Dad was absolutely deadly on any game he pursued with his only rifle---a Remington 721 in .270. Learning to make the rifle you chose to become an extension of yourself is way more important than caliber. Have fun,-------Chuck

<sure-shot>
posted
7Mag, you shooting over 300+yds on a regular basis.sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the game can't tell the difference. I have no qualms about using either for 300 yard shots. I have taken many with my 7 MM Rem, and my wife has taken several with her 30-06. Both put down the game with equal precision. Choice of bullet weights is overdone. All you need is one that shoots well and that you have confidence in.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of the two calibers you're considering, I'd go for the 7mm Remington Magnum as my all-around choice for hunting here in Oregon.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pick the 30-06. Its a crap shoot either way but your remark about the 06 dumping more of its energy inside of the animal is correct.
I read in another post: buy a 30-06, buy 180gr bullets, sight it in for 200 yards and that's all you need to know about big game hunting. Simplistic but kinda true.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
Coot22, check your email.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whether you intend to shoot factory loads or load your own would have some bearing on your choice.

The 7mm Remington has become, for whatever reason, woefully underloaded in factory loads. The .30-06 on the other hand, is now available in the premium, or "high energy" loads which pretty much reach its potential.

If you intend to handload, then the 7mm will give you some advantages with the lighter, faster bullets for antelope and deer, while giving you performance with heavier bullets at least as good as the .30-06 for elk.

My advice: 7mm Remington if you handload, .30-06 if you don't. (.30-06 will also be good if you handload, of course.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Coot22>
posted
Delta hunter, check your email...

Norseman...I hunt the Pine creek/Keating unit for bear and mule deer and hunt the willamette watershed for deer and for elk...mostly the coast range...how about yourself? I drew a spring bear tag this year for the Pine creek/Keating unit. So that is going to be a great trip!

Thanks for the replies out there gents! Anyone else?

-Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm mag for flatter shooting and more energy.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coot22, I been hunting the Silvies unit and White river unit depending on my draw results for mule and Catherine creek and Saddle mountain for elk, again depending on my draw results and I still have 5 prefence points for elk and going to apply for Mill creek watershed or Walla Walla unit for first choice. I just recently found out that I need at least 8 preference point for the Wenaha Unit elk tag and I've decided I'm not going apply for that unit anymore "waste of time". So did you go to the sportsman show in Portland? did you the 9th or 10th largest elk killed in Oregon? well guess what? it was shot in Multnomah county last year!!!!! So where is the Willamette watershed?

<Coot22>
posted
The willamette watershed is essentially just outside of the portland city limits. If you look on a hunting map form ODFW that shows where you can and cannot hunt, you will see the boundaries. There is a cabbage field that I hunt for deer in and my buddy, his dad and I have pulled 5 deer out of there in the last two seasons. And it is only ten minutes away from his house! That makes the hunt just that much better. One day we hunted geese and ducks and it was also in the middle of the deer season. Well, low and behold, about 20 yards in front of our blind steps out a 3-point and my buddy drops it...just as he unloads his gun, another 3-point steps out and I loaded my shotgun with a slug and dropped that one...it wasnt ten minutes later we had five geese working our pattern...long story short...we were back at his house by noon that day with 3 geese, 2 bucks, 2 mallards, a goldeneye and 2 coho (our spot is along one of the many rivers that also get a huge coho run that time of year). All in all not a bad day! Had a nice little surf and turf meal that night and called it good. Nice to hear from someone in my neck of the woods!

-Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

I am an Oregonian too. I live down in the People's Republic of Eugene. I usually hunt Upper Deschutes for buck. I have sworn that I will never hunt the coast range for elk again, but I seem to every other year or so. Spring Bear is SW Oregon, in the Siuslaw unit. Can't beat that.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Coot,

I'm kinda in your shoes right now, and I'm leaning towards a 30-06 and maybe even a 30-06 AI.

If it helps, here's my reasoning:

1) 30-06 gives you an extra poke in the magazine.
2) Trajectory can be equaled by using a lighter bullet.
3) With a lighter 30-06 bullet of comparable trajectory, you'll be +300lbs energy less than the 7mag, but still have plenty of bullet weight and killing power up to 400yds or so.
4) It's just not going to pound you as hard!

Those are the reasons which are drawing me toward the 30-06. Even though there are plenty of good reasons for the 7mag, I tend to choose and follow the reasons that I like!

Good luck!

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

<Frank>
posted
280, 7 mag just my thought

one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, get the 7mm Rem Mag!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Either one is good. But for the first rifle get a 30/06. The ammo costs less, kicks less and so then you will practice more.

Within regular game ranges the 30/06 will hit harder and leave a better blood trail.

But the 270, 280 308 and 7mm Mag are all good.

I have had a couple of 7mm mags and wore the bbl out on one. They don't really hit all that hard. It's a small bullet but a adequate one.

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I debated the same points you set out in yourpost. I hunt in southern Sask where we also have frequent shooting. My choice was a 30-06 in a Tikka syn/stainless.
I picked the 30-06 because I preferred the balance of the shorter barrel in a non magnum chambering. Using 165 ,180 or even 190gr boat tails the trajectory is not that much different than the 300 Mag. and 7 MM Mag.
The Tikka was chosen because of the way it fit me and the very smooth action. These guns do have plastic on the trigger guard and part of the detachable mag. They are push feed. Mine has seen considerable use and has given no problems. It is accurate with a number of factory loads and I am just starting to look for a handload that will use the hornady Interlock 190 gr BTSP.
I hope this info helps you to find what you are looking for.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No local experience - so can't help you justify a choice of calibre..........
BUT ...........I do have a Tikka stainless/synthetic in 30.06! Its a beaut. Accuracy is wonderful, action is as smooth as silk, trigger can be taken down to 2.5lb and breaks as clean as glass.

Bought this a few months back and have so far taken 8 deer with it here in the UK. All one shot kills on anything from 45lb Roe Deer to 400 lb Red Stags. Ranges here are generally shorter than it seems you folks encounter. However, have taken Red Fox at ranges to 335yds. It worked! Certainly more accurate than me - and at an excellent price.

The Barrels used in the Tikka are exactly the same as in the Sako range - made on the same machines! Buy one - you will be happy with it for the rest of your life!

Rgds from under a rain cloud in England.

Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote