THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Super Blunt 550 grain Cast Bullet for 45-70/450 Marlin

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super Blunt 550 grain Cast Bullet for 45-70/450 Marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am a custom bullet caster from New Hampshire, fulfilling the need for those hunters who want to utilize heavyweight Wide Flat Nose style cast bullets for 45/70, 450 Marlin, 458WM, and 458Lott.

For BIG game hunters who pursue grizzly bear, elk, moose, and bison, I offer a 550 grain wide flat nose cast bullet for 45-70 and 450 Marlin.

The cast bullet weighs 550 grain, sized to .459, gas checked with the meplat of .365. The bullet has two lube grooves and a crimp groove perfectly deigned for Marlin 45-70 and 450 Marlin.

I also offer a 560 grain flat nose cast bullet for 458 WinMag and 458 Lott. The bullet is similar to the 45-70 heavy weight except that it has a smaller meplat of .325 to ensure reliable feeding from a bolt-action magazine.

For further information, please send your inquiry to jbyoungnh@aol.com.

Thanks.

Jae-Bok

[ 05-15-2003, 19:10: Message edited by: jbyoungnh ]

Posts: 36 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How come you're using linotype? It's not a good alloy for a hunting bullet once you get much past 1800 fps. Are you making anything softer, or water hardened, for higher velocity?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] Don't let here cast bullet and 45-70 in the same sentence over on the African board or you'll never here the end of it [Big Grin]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
An... I don't think it's the "bullet that boosts Marlin 45-70 and 450 Marlin to 458 WinMag/458 Lott performance" , but rather all the powder Garret puts behind it!

Best of luck in your new business.

[ 04-18-2003, 03:58: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comment. I meant to say that I am using a lead alloy and the bullet is heat treated to a BHN of 18 to 21. I used to use some linotype materials for good quality casting that ensures fillout and accuracy but for big game hunting application, I do not use it at all. Sorry for misleading you on this issue.

For 45/70 applications, I have not pushed the bullt above 1500 fps since the recoil from a lever action gun is brutal!

Thanks.

Jae-Bok.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I now have a mini web page that displays LBT style premium cast bullets and a heavy weight 550 grain gas check WFN cast bullet for 45/70 and 450 Marlin.

For further information, please go to: http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jbyoung.html

Thanks.

Jae-Bok.
Welcome to Jae-Bok Young's Bullet Casting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starting July 7th, I will be offering a 420 grain WFNGC “Crater Lite” bullet for 45/70 and 450 Marlin. I am offering this bullet for those who like the blunt nose shape of my 550 grain “ Crater” bullet but don’t like the hefty recoil when used with lightweight Marlin Guide guns. The Crater Lite has the same meplat of .360 of the 550 grain bullet and its nose to crimp length is perfectly designed for Marlin lever action guns.

I also received numerous requests for reloading info for the 550 grain Crater bullet. I am happy to share any published reloading data with my customers. Lyman’s Reloading Handbook (44th and 45th editions”Wink contains data for 552 grain gas check bullet for the Winchester 1886 lever action. You may refer to this data as a basis for building your own load for Marlin lever action guns. If you do not have this reloading manual, I will be happy to e-mail this info.

One note about shooting results with the 550 grain Cast bullet: This heavy weight bullet is best used with 1 in 20 barrel twist. I used the same bullet in one in 14 inch twist gun (Ruger 77, 458WM) and found that the bullet key holes starting at 75 yds.

The penetration of the 550 grain Crater bullet is just awesome. Pushing the bullet from 1100 fps to 1400fps, it zips thru 12 to 18 inch pine tree trunks at 100 yds.

For further information, please go to: http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jbyoung.html

Thanks.

Jae-Bok

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to share one of my customer's feedback on a 550 grain Crater bullet for 45/70. This customer from Montana shot a 4 feet diameter cottonwood at 50 yds and the bullet completely penetrated the tree.

In the age of the ultra high-velocity projectile, the "Crater" bullet seems to be out of place. But the big demand for this bullet shows that modern savvy hunters understand why buffalo hunters with the Sharps rifle "Old Reliable" always preferred 500 to 550 grain bullets to lighter slugs. When it comes to one-shot killing power, there is no match. And that wisdom still prevails.

Jae-Bok
----------------------------------------------
"Here's some load data I shot this morning with JB Young's 550g FPGC Crater bullet. Loaded up 5 rds. since I only had 15 on hand.

Marlin 1895 LTD IV / 24" barrel

JB Young's 550g FPGC
1. Win. brass sized to 2.095"
2. WLR primer
3. 44g H335 powder
4. Lee Factory Crimp at 2.565"
5. Velocity of 2 rds thru chrono at 1540 and 1528 fps.
6. No pressure problems, stout load.
7. Bullet meplat- .364"

Above bullet has 4 lube grooves. The last lube groove I hand lubed at the GC with Rooster Red since the bullet has a long bearing surface and no lube there. The other 3 grooves were lubed fine as they came and would be more than adequate if you shot them from the box.( I'm anal about perfection) I rolled all the above bullets in Lee Alox for a nice finish. JB sent me load data with his bullets which I didn't ask for- great service. His loads are in my data base now for reference.
I then shot 2 rds on paper at 75 yds. and they were an inch and a half apart from a rolled up sleeping bag.
The final round went into a 4 ft. dia cottonwood tree at the river. Complete penetration at 50 yds. into the water.
This above bullet is a semi stopper and would work ideal on DG or the mulie doe that won't run away.
The 420g Crater Lites I loaded up with 48g of 3031 at 1730 fps. and inch and a half groups. JB's bullets get a thumbs up for hunting and rank in quality with Cast Performance, Beartooth,and Leadheads in the cast bullet department. I had no leading problems with the 14 rds I shot today.
In my experience with the heavy 45-70 bullets stick with ball powder due to case capacity and you'll do ok if you want more velocity. Hope this helps someone out there."

Comments from a serious hunter from CONRAD,MT.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Jae-Bok,

I received my order yesterday. Thank you very much. Nice looking bullets. I will let you know how they work out in my 1895SS 45-70.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote