THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Any one know of a good Alaskan Dall Sheep Outfitter?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one know of a good Alaskan Dall Sheep Outfitter?
 Login/Join

<Caveman>
posted
I am wanting to plan a trip to Alaska for Dall, maybe for next year? Anyone know of some good outfitters?

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ya missed out on this one for this year ... http://www.serveroptions.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002223 ... but he's a top notch outfitter and if the area interests you we can set something up for next year for you.

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a hunt in the wrangells I'd go with one of the ellis brothers out of nebesna. There on the web, its something like ellis big game or something.

Kirk ellis dropped me and a buddy off last year for a do-it-yourselfer. He's a hell of a guy. I believe most of his hunts are on horseback in the wrangells. last year his price was $7500 for a hunt. Very top notch outfit and his guides are a blast. practical jokesters and all around real good people. Very ethical also, when he picks up drop off hunters, if your meat bags are shy (and he knows) he will call the troopers and turn you in for wanton waste.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic, but have you thought about the Yukon? Tim Mervyn of Mervyn's Yukon Outfitters brings in some BIG sheep every year. His average is consistently over 38" as I recall. His web page is www.mervynsoutfit.com . He ain't cheap but he's good and determined to help you get your game!
Tell him you want to hunt where that Greek guy shot the Wood Bison last February. There is a 40"+ sheep running around up there that they passed on last year because he was a bit young.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

[ 08-18-2002, 03:53: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caveman,
Sheep hunting is an Atcheson specialty. We eat sleep and breath sheep hunting. There are few things I enjoy more than wild sheep backstrap.I know several Dall Sheep outfitters in AK, Yukon NWT. In Alaska I'd recommend Mr. Jim Harrower. They broke the mold on this guy. If all outfitters were like Jim the hunting world would be a better place. Jim consistently produces 40" rams with remarkable success. His area is in the Alaska Range. All hunts are by backpack and believe me, you better be in good shape. I could even send you up the in early Sept. 2002 if you wish as he has an opening.
If backpacking isn't your choice I have some good horseback hunts in the Brooks Range or some backpack hunts of much easier application. I can also tell you that the #'s of sheep in the Brooks Range are strong compared to the rest of the State in non-draw areas. More sheep--Higher success. Dall Sheep hunts run from $7500 -$10000 in Ak. 7day hunts are a min. and I prefer 10 as weather can and in most cases will be a factor. Good luck in your search for a Ram!

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hi

A frind of mine went with Chandalar river outfitter and got a very nice ram. I dont have thier web site. It were also possible to hunt bear or caribou during the same hunting trip.

Good luck regardles who you choose to go with.
Cheers
/ JOHAN

<allen day>
posted
Keith, is it still practical to plan a mixed-bag hunt in the Brooks range for sheep, moose, grizzly, and caribou?

AD

<Caveman>
posted
Keith,

Do you guys have a website or a brochure to mail me?

Thanks.

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Here's what I found after digging around in my bookmark file www.koontzalaska.com/

I hope that it will help you find what you are looking for. Now you are in debt to me [Wink]

Adios [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 08-22-2002, 02:55: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

A mixed bag combo hunt in the Brooks is still do able although I think it needs to be customized by the outfitter as these guys do not (that I know of) openly offer it in their publications. A big reason for it is the short season and the fact that winter comes so early up their. Most operators offer 2 ten day dall sheep hunts back to back from Aug 10 - 30 then immediately switch to moose and griz and caribou starting Sept 1. for 10 - 14 days. Basically it's $$$$$

If you book both hunts it would cost a small fortune so I'd suggest that if you want to try and put a combo together that we approach one or two of the best operators and see what they will offer. The economy has been soft enough where I think one of them would be happy to offer you a big progressive travel hunt. If it was me I'd try to go around the 25th or so of Aug. and hunt sheep and caribou (and in some areas of the brooks griz opens on Aug. 20 and some outfitters have a small quota---book early)up til the Sept 1st then move into moose and griz. Some of these guys also have horses. To take all animals I think you would need 14 - 16 days hunting. That country gets alot of bad weather. The Chandelar is good country for this possibility and also way out in the eastern Brooks in the Congacut(spelling?) and Colleen river drainages. Major remote! :-)

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caveman,

Our website is being re-done but I have plenty of specific info on each operator I book for. I'd be happy to mail it to you. If fact most of our info is in PDF files so I can E-mail it to you so please provide your e-mail or physical address to me. Send it to keith.atcheson@in-tch.com and I'll take it from there.
Also meaning no disrespect to anyone, I'd look very closely at Dall hunts in the Talkeetna's as this area took a very heavy hit in the form of winterkill 2 years ago and success has been lower since then.

Johan, I know Keith Koontz as we have hunted with him and send a few hunters as long as they are the right hunters for his type of hunt.................. Thanks.