THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    HSM ammo - BEWARE!!! It may not work.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HSM ammo - BEWARE!!! It may not work.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Much to my regret, I ended up with 3 boxes of HSM factory ammo for the .375 H&H, loaded with Kodiak flat nose solids. The ammo would not chamber in 2 factory Winchester model 70's, a factory Kimber, and a custom Mauser.

I called HSM about the problem and the guy on the phone wanted to pull the bullets and re-seat them deeper. I told him that was not acceptable because then the bullets would not be crimped in the cannelure, and they might not feed properly any more. Instead I told him that instead of 3 boxes of .375 H&H ammo at $50/box, he could just give me $150 worth of 38 special ammo. The HSM guy refused, saying that he would lose money on such an exchange (of HSM defective product, by the way).

So his next suggestion was to pull the Kodiak flat nose solids and replace them with Sierra boat tails. I told him that was not acceptable because Sierra boat tails are (i) not solids, and (ii) not suitable for dangerous game. I suggested that he use Woodleigh solids but the fellow was not interested.

Next he said he would send me a UPS return label so that I could return the ammo to HSM. Then he changed his mind and said HSM would be at a gun show in Salt Lake City and I should meet them at the booth to turn the ammo in there. But them he changed his mind again and said I should have the dealer where I bought the ammo return it, which I did.

Now I have been waiting 2 months, and HSM still will not make this right. They are now giving my dealer the run around. I certainly do not want any more .375 H&H ammo from them. But I would accept $150 worth of 38 special or 9mm ammo in exchange. But HSM is reluctant to do anything whatsoever.

So here I sit. No ammo. No attempt by HSM to make things right.

Does anyone know those guys? Are they usually like this? Are we all well-advised to buy ammo elsewhere, or is this incident an anomoly?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I take it that you didn't know the owner of HSM?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-326-4120
clap rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo animal

Sorry, bad joke, too damn many Bailys!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, on a serious note, I am sorry to hear this and the total lack of customer service.
I have shot thousands of rounds of their 223 ammo without a hitch.I did notice that their prices took about a 20. hit/up in the last couple of month's and was told it is going up again.
I will call my supplier and see if I can get you a name of someone farther up the chain.
Good luck with this

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Who is HSM?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote