THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Solid evidence on .243 and it's adequacy on deer!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Solid evidence on .243 and it's adequacy on deer!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
OH yea. Sometimes the deer ran right by me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This certainly is not as conclusive as tests done on a computer game.
My grandson has taken 3 deer this year and my son in law(grandsons dad)just got one. All were with .243. I load all their ammo and I don't use a premium bullet,just the opposite. I use the 100 grain Win Bulk packed that you see listed fairly cheap at Midway. There was a 10 pointer and a 9 pointer--both fairly good sized Texas deer. One was a small nubb buck and the other had one antler broken off and remaining side was two point--a fair sized deer.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .243 for one reason. It's easy to shoot well. A well placed shot in the heart with a small caliber, is better than shooting an elk in the foot with a .375!

Posts: 114 | Location: Lethbridge, Alberta. | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I like the .243 for one reason. It's easy to shoot well. A well placed shot in the heart with a small caliber, is better than shooting an elk in the foot with a .375!

Well said. On a video game my son has, he can run someone over twice with a car and they get up and walk away. Hmmmmmmm

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This my first year to deer hunt, but i got two deer, and i'm pretty happy with the .243's performance.

Your mother in law gets you something besides cologne or socks? My hubby opened his present and smiled and said..."Old Spice!" (again)

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been known to shoot deer with an elephant rifle...
But I have to say every deer I have shot with a 243, and every deer my wife has shot with a 243 has been killed most ricky tic, ie with excellent results. We only used two different bullets, the Sierra 100 gr. and the 95 gr.Nosler Partition. My wife has also killed several antelope and mule deer. Never had a problem.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

....So far, I've shot about 100 deer on the game and all of the ones shot with the 30.06 dropped. All but 1 shot with the .243 ran or were wounded. So far it's about 50/50 with each rifle....

Absolute empirical evidence indeed ! While a .243 with good loads and shot placement kills deer, I still prefer a little more bullet diameter and weight. My "smallest" medium game rifle is chambered in 6.5x55 (I traded a .243 for it). It's recoil isn't much more than a .243 and it penetrates better than a .243 when the game isn't cooperating and giving broadside presentations (i.e. quartering).

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote