New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Deer and Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dare say that one cannot quote a "going rate" per se, as it all depends on the taxidermist. Such things as experience, reputation, former clientel, not to mention local and local competition all enter into the equation. I can say that the cheapest is often not the cheapest in the long run. That said, some new guys that necessarily have low prices will give you fabulous work, because after all, some of them will become among the best in due time. Good taxidermy requires an artistic ability, not just a desire to be one. Most of us can never become good pianists or painters, no matter how hard we work at it or want it. Same goes with taxidermy.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I am very picky on my taxidermy work. But you should know that a taxidermist will charge what he can get given his/her location as well.

From Iowa, Missouri, Ohio, Alabama, Arizona, and Colorado, I have paid the following fees for exceptional commercial mounts:

Mule deer/whitetail shoulder mounts: $389-425.00
whitetail pedestal style: add another $25-50.
antelope: same price
elk: from $550-750, shoulder and pedestal.

What bothers me is hunters will take a deer to a taxidermist, get it mounted, just to look at the rack. I've never been that way. I take it to a tax. because I want that memory to come to life. If you want the headgear on the wall, mount it only, if you want a nice taxidermy job, don't be a penny pincher.

My brother in law is a taxid. in north Alabama, he's exceptinoal at what he does, given that he's only done it for 3-4 years. He only charges $200 because his local competitor who has been there for 20+ years charges that fee. I would pay the guy 350.00 easy because his work is that good, not because he's married to my sister. He is in an area where people go for price and that is it. I told him to convince the other guy to raise his price too, but Jeff told me his work wasn't worth 100.00.

I am contemplating sending all my heads to Joe Meder from now on in Iowa. Either him or Chris Stabell at Tall Praire Taxidermy in LeClaire, Iowa. The best work I've seen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MTHunter -

tri-city taxidermy in great falls lists these prices:

antelope - 385$
deer - 395$
elk - 665$-735$ depending on pose

i know the owner and have seen his work. it's worth it.

if you need contact info, PM me.

ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can any one give the going rate for taxidermy for deer and antelope and Elk Shoulder Mounts. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Here in Louisiana a Deer/antelope shoulder mount is $225-$350 depending on which taxidermist you choose. For a good quality mount, it will run around $275 for the deer/antelope.

Elk run anywhere from $350 to $500 depending on which tax. is used.

I do European Skull Mounts and Plaque horn mounts myself. If you would like to know some easy steps for doing those, just ask.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reloader -

if you are interested in skull/european mounts, you might find a good discussion on it here.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The beetle cleaning technique is very interesting.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's easier to do with just a bucket of water. Soak a skull for a month or three in a sealed bucket. Then hose down with a power washer or the local - do-it-yourself carwash. If you go the latter route, try a Sunday morning when most folks are NOT out and about - it may smell a bit. Much easier then maintaining a beetle colony.

I would remove horns (not antlers) before doing this however.

If you want a nice technical term for it, it's called anerobic maceration.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have probably one of the cheaper taxidermists in my parts, but he does great work. His going rates are:

Antelope-$525

Deer (black tail,mule, white tail)-$525

Elk (closed mouth)-$820

The other taxidermist around me charges:

Deer & Antelope-$600

Elk (closed mouth)-$800

I sure wish I could get my deer mounted for under $300. If I saw that price around here, I'd be very cautious of sending my capes to be mounted there. Seems like everything around where I live cost twice as much as every other state.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MTHunter: Rates are also affected by where the taxidermist is located...the taxidermists here in Anchorage are very proud of their work...and as a group they are the most expensive taxidermists I have seen anywhere, for shoulder and skull mounts anyway (here are costs for some shoulder mounts: caribou $650, deer $500, moose $1300, fox $400...a bleached caribou skull on a nice wood panel is $410). And this taxidermists cost less than most. But I have to also say that as a group they are excellent taxidermists. A good taxidermists is just like a good guide or good outfitter: they are worth every penny spent on them.

Anyway, I am going on an antelope hunt myself next week near Craig, CO and I was quoted a price of $350 for an antelope shoulder mount by a local taxidermist. It sounds like a good deal to me. If I shoot one, I will have the work done there.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens--Where you live, you ought to consider running over to Reno. There are some very good fellows there that are significantly cheaper.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Seven's where are you located? I have a guy E. of San Diego, Mike Barry, that does great work & last I looked was a bit cheaper than what your guy quotes?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, Thanks for the info I'am a taxidermist in Montana and looking to up the price from $325 to $400 for Deer and Antalope $325 to $375 I can't see how your brother in law or any one else can make any money at the cost of shipping and tanning ,forms,eyes and your time. maybe some guys just like to do it for the fun of it but if it is your job and you have utilities and all the expense they arn't makeing it. I have to guied in the fall to pick up more work to make it worth the my time to do it because i enjoy . the guiding I realy enjoy meeting all the diferent guys we meet at Milk River Outfiters.
Thanks again MTHunter.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I live in the Bay Area. I don't know of any taxidermists in Reno besides Animal Artistry, but I'm sure there are many. Reno is about a 4 hour drive from my house which is a bit of a ways to drive to pick up and/or drop off a head. (Though, I know a man who does drive to Animal Artistry for his mounts.) My current taxidermist is about 20 minutes away in Concord, but if you guys know of one not to much further, I wouldn't mind checking him out.

Fred, is that the same Mike Barry who conducts hunts?

Appreciate your help guys.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MTHunter: If you are going to use this forum to get a consensus on prices (or what people are willing to pay), why don't you show us some of your work. Post some photos of your taxidermy.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Arts, even at 2.5 hours it's still a long drive for me. You are correct though, it's about 3 hours drive for me.

Because you have caught my interest, what taxidermist do you recommend and what's he charge?

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, are you sure it is 4 hours to Reno? I live 2 1/4 hours east of Reno, and it only takes me just over 5 hours to get to San Francisco having to go through Reno. I agree 4 hrs would be a bit far, but for 2 1/2 hours, I think you would find Reno prices worth while--not Animal Artistry though. They do excellent work, but are over priced.