New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huge Moose Taken In Russia
 Login/Join

<The Hunting Report>
posted
The Hunting Report has just received a photograph of a huge Chukotka moose taken this past winter on the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia. It is posted now on the newsletter's website. The animal has huge palms with 20 points on one side and 18 on the other. Preliminary indications are it will be among the largest ever taken, and perhaps a new world record. The lucky and very hard-working hunter is Hunting Report subscriber Jay Link. More information about his hunt, as well as the name and contact details for the agent/outfitter he used, will be available in next month's issue of The Hunting Report.
Do take a look at this moose. It's incredible!
Click on http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy-gallery/index.cfm or visit the Subscriber Trophy Gallery on The Hunting Report website (www.HuntingReport.com)

------------------
The Hunting Report
"Serving The Hunter Who Travels"
www.HuntingReport.com
ARForum@HuntingReport.com

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
That isn't a moose, the rack is way too huge. It must be one of those prehistoric throwback animals that have been extinct for 50,000 years that has now been rediscovered.
What a rack, unbelievable!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oh my what an animal! Any info yet on what caliber he used? Lemme guess, 45-70 with hardcast bullets

Truly an impressive animal!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<LiMe>
posted
that�s a nice animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what "Rated at 50D-60D" means. Could it be a 60" antler? In Alaska we just measure the antlers straight across at the widest point. Some people here have killed moose with antlers that have measure over six feet across. I believe the record is somewhere around 80 inches across. We call the points in front (by the forehead) "brow tines." The moose in the picture has at least 5 brow tines at one side, and this is very normal for a large moose. The palms are very wide, but large moose usually have very wide palms.

A coworker's son killed a large moose last year. This moose's antlers measured 70 inches across. Every year the local newspaper publishes what is called the "60-inch Club." This section of the newspaper contains pictures of moose killed, and antlers that measure 60" and greater. Most of the ones last year measured around 62" to 64" inches, but a few years back I remember a picture of a set of antlers that measured around 80 inches. That moose was killed by a bow hunter. The moose was bedded, so he sneaked within 16 yards or so. He fired one arrow that went through the lungs and the moose jumped up and turned around, so he shot it again through the other side and killed it. I don't think he had to track it very far. The guy who was supposed to mount the antlers was over 6 feet tall, and the antlers next to him were much taller than he was.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote