Find
Notify
Tools

Turkeys are BIG GAME if you are 12!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I know that a lot of you don't consider turkeys to be big game, but based on the following picture, my 12-year old daughter would argue with you. This is the first game she has shot; a 22-pound Tom with a 9-inch beard. We called him down to us off of his roost at first light. He landed about 35 yards behind where we set up, and walked to our left side. My daughter made a perfect shot at 30 yards with her 20-gauge Berretta A391. Here first reaction was to cry; first because she realized that she had killed him and he was dead because of her, then because she was sure he was going to jump up and run away, finally because she was so happy. Now she is looking forward to going out again this weekend, and is talking about when she gets the next one.

-

Posts: 3835 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell her nice job.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thanks for sharing,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great bird! Glad to hear she's interested in going again.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! [Cool]

Posts: 77 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she did a terrific job, congratulations to her!

I salute you for introducing her to the outdoors!

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What wonderful memories there will be of this day [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Congratulations to the Young Lady, and congratulations to Dad too.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Congratulations young lady!!

Dad, your dedication to your daughter is very admirable... absolutely wonderful in fact!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Her smile is the best trophy of all. My son just turned 12 and turkey season that opens in 3 weeks will be his first ever hunt. He is as excited as I ever remember being for my first deer hunts (there weren't any turkeys back then). I think the whole thread of defining big game trophy's is misguided. To me a trophy is defined by the memory it makes. I think your daughter's gobbler ranks up there with any of them. I'm looking forward to trying to call a bird in for my son than any time I've been looking to shoot something myself.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
That gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over! It also brings back the memory of my 9yr old daughter shooting her first deer this past season.....a great 8 pt! I truely believe that the dads and moms get a bigger thrill out of the young ones success at something that they themselves love so much....

Congrats!

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell her great job. She will enjoy this the rest of her life. That smile tells it all [Big Grin] One heck of a turkey.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] That is a warm and fuzzy feelin' you get when you see that smile on their face at that age. I remember my kids first deer and turkey that they ever shot and the smiles that were on their faces. My yougest son just turned 18 and he'll be graduating at the end of next month, so I won't have any more kids around the house full time. I guess I'll have to start workin' on my 7yr.old granddaughter. Now that ought to be fun [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
That's a nice gobbler and I bet she and you are proud. It's great when you can spend time in the woods with your kids.

I used to take my son and his friend spring turkey hunting years ago. They are all grown up now but they insisted that I go with them this past weekend. We hunted all day and I finally shot a nice old tom. That was one of the best hunting days I've ever had....listening to them recall how anxious they would be to go hunting, getting out of school early etc.

Tell your daughter congrats....that's a fine old bird.
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
GREAT! Congratulations to your daughter.

While turkey may not be big game in the sense that a deer or moose is, in another sense it is.

I have taken moose, sheep, goats, kodiak bears, deer antelope, and other obvious big game.
However, when I hunted turkey and had a gobbler coming to my call and gobbling, I had the same heart beat and excitement as when I shot a big bear.

Big game or not, turkey hunting is exciting.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a good turkey and a great memory.

I hope that you did not make her carry the bird all the way out of the woods. [Wink]

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
[Smile]

Congratulations with your great bird!!

If that ain't big game then nothing is.

Happy hunting.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote