New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New guy here...I plan to begin a shooting collection of CZ rifles. I see a CZ M550 listed in a caliber new to me, 9.3x62 Mauser. Is this a cartridge I might use for Mule Deer & Elk hunting in Colorado? What about reloading for this round, are components avaiable?

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey new guy,

I guess I'll be the first to try and convert you to the Fraternal Order of the 9.3x62. I was the first on my block to buy a CZ550 Lux in that caliber two years ago. The rifle is very well made, worth every penny i put into it. In fact, when I bought mine (the last in stock in 9.3 caliber) there was only one piece of plastic on it, the follower which we replaced with an old winchester steel follower. Only thing I will warn you now about, MAKE SURE THE GUN COMES WITH CZ's RINGS.
But on to the real question: I'd say the 9.3's plenty strong for most big game. I'm not sure exactly what kind of hunting you're accustomed to, but the tragectory of a 9.3 is nowhere near as flat as a 7mm Mag, if that's what you mean.

As for reloading, there are bullets available from as light as 232 grain all the way on up to 325 grain. the cheapest are speer 270gr round noses. I got dies for it from RCBS, then again I get all my dies from RCBS. Load data is available in the Speer manual and probably other manuals, that i don't have available to me as of the present. But that's another story. [Embarrassed]

Hope this helps some, and feel free to ask away for any more info you might need [Wink]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Pygmy>
posted
The 9.3 x 62 will work fine for mule deer and has plenty of power and penetration for the largest elk at any angle..

While it's not the best choice for long cross canyon shots, it shoots flat enough for the occaisional 250-300 yard shot and it won't beat you up as badly as a .300 Mag or .338....

My CZ 550 American has amazed me with its accuracy...It prints little bitty 3 shot clusters that measure around a half inch at 100 yards with Barnes 250 X bullets....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey V-man,
the cartridge isn�t new. The caliber has his roots in Germany. The Berliner B�chsenmachemeister OttO Bock has invented the cartridge 1910 m, yes.. in Germany [Big Grin]
The 9,3*62 is a very effective round, and has her friends under a lot of boarhunter and redstags hunters, overhere in Germany.
It will give you more then enough penetration on game up to the big sized animals like Wapiti and Elk.(Elk or Wapiti is in Germany not homed [Frown] but a lot of the Alsakian and NA Hunters love there 9,3*62 for it�s effectness,even on bear.)
Okay, u may kill them with a .30-06 too, but the potention of the 9,3 is bigger.
But as Curtis and Pygmy mentioned before, it�s not a cartridge for far distances.
Up to 200m, it will work good. It�s a great cartridge for wodden areas or even for Africa, because it has been invented for Africa, for use in N-W Afrika, for the German Wehrmacht.
She is working on low pressure, and for a reloader it�s an interesting cartridge too. She can be loaded down to a .308 or you can pepper it up to...higher levels [Smile]
The spread of bullets isn�t that big as for the .375,....but you can get good hunting bullets, e.g. Woddleigh,Nosler...
My be you look under of one of my latest-threads ( search by nick and words of content of the article: 9,3mm...)and find a complete list of the avialable bullets and fabric ammo.
There is a bigger sister to the 9,3*62, the 9,3*64. Invented by Brenneck in the 60�s. the *64 is similar to the .375H&H Mag, although it isn�t a belted version.
The recoil of the 9,3*62 is not hard. it�s not a kicker (like the 9,3*64) but more something a slow pusher

For further question, just ask me.

Hope that i could give u some news [Smile]
konstantin
aka konst#1

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey v-man:
i did the search for u [Big Grin]
here�s the article:
Hey gazors,
after my last posting i get some requests about available 9,3mm bullets in germany. Because i know that the choice in USA isn�t so big for the 9,3mm bullets, i thought this might could be of interest for all of you.
Except from the bullet producers that are listed below, Speer,Sierra..do have some too. But i guess these bullets are available in the states, so there is no need to buy them overseas.
And now the show stars

I looked in some reloading supply catalogues..., and the cheapest bullets are the Sellier and Bellot (S&B), i �m not quite sure where they produce them, but i think either in hungary or tchecheslowakia.
There are two different types and weights for the 9,3mm . I guess the lighter one is for the 9,3*72R. U know this cartridge? It�s the old german "F�rster Patrone" a not so powerfull 9,3mm cartridge.(Pmax=1800bar; a 193gr (12,51g) Softpoint ,V0=595 m/sec; E0=2213Joule)

Sellier and Bellot Bullets:
- 9,3mm ; (.364); 193grTeilmantel Flachkopf (soft flat nose) ; 100 pieces= 21,73 EURO, 500 pieces= 100,98 EURO, 1000 pieces 192,25 Euro .

- 9,3 mm ; (.366); 285gr. Teilmantel Rundkopf (soft round nose) ; 100 pieces = 19,60 EURO, 500 pieces = 89,48 Euro, 1000pieces = 170,77 Euro.

RWS .366 diameter:
226gr. (14,5g) Doppel Kern (DK) Bullet per 50 pieces = 36,35Euro
247gr. (16,0g) Kegelspitz (KS) Bullet -,,- 33,59Euro
258gr. (16,7g) H-Mantel Kupferhohlspitz -,,- 44,89Euro
285gr. (18,5g) Vollmamtel (solid) -,,- 44,89Euro
285gr. (18,5g) Teilmantel (softpoint) -,,- 26,43Euro
293gr. (19,0g) TUG -,,- 44,84Euro

the cheaper line of RWS is called GECO, and they do have a bullet in 9,3mm too:
.366 diameter 255gr 16,0g TMR (softpoint) 50 pieces 15,70 EURO

And Blaser do have a 9,3mm Bullet too, the CDP (controlled deformation process)
9,3mm 18,5 g 50 pieces 48,57 Euro

And Norma has some 9,3mm bullets too:

232 gr (15,0g) TM PPC Vulkan 100pieces 54,20Euro
231 gr (15,0g) solid spire -,,- 35,28Euro
286 gr (18,5g) ORYX -,,- 65,45Euro
286 gr (18,5g) Alaska 50 pieces 28,10Euro

So i hope that will help, if u are interested in the different types of bullet take a look to these websides:

http://www.norma.cc

http://www.blaser.de/english/produkte/accessories/munition.htm

to take a look at the TIG and TUG Bullet (RWS=Brenneke side)
http://www.brenneke.de
=>choose english language,products,rifle bullets..click on TIG or either TUG to see them.

So if u do have any further questions, you know how to reach me.
cheers and Waidmannsheil
konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for all the feed back/information about the rifle and cartridge...what a great bunch of guys!!!

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put my $.02 in. The CZ 550 rifle is the best deal going right now in the gun industry...period. The 9.3x62 round will take any sort of NA game (including the big bears) and 95% of all African game...I would think twice about elephant....but it has been done many times. I am taking mine on safari next year for game up to and including Buff. The 286 gr Nosler Partitions shoot .75" groups all day at 100 yds. I would use these for elk and above in NA, and the 250 gr NBT's for mulies and whities. You cannot gone wrong with the rifle or the caliber. And don't let anyone fool you, 250-300 yd shots, if within YOUR ability, will not be spoiled by a good 9.3x62 handload. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
The CZ 550 rifle is the best deal going right now in the gun industry...period.

Nope.
Compare with the Antonio Zoli 1900 series, and then post again (concerning value-for-money-relation).
The AZ rifles are definitely better finished, and have a *much* smoother action than CZ (which are in turn better made than many US rifles).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll second that cz rifles are good value they put big bores within the reach of average people. And the CZ's all shoot, I have one in .22 Hornet and one in .416 Rigby and will add a CZ in both .375 and 9.3x62 as the cash becomes available.

Does anyone have experience with the 9.3x62 in the CZ Battue configuration??

[ 06-08-2002, 00:18: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, Carcano, I give up. Where do I find Antonio Zoli rifles on this side of the pond? I did a series of searches and can't find anything....any suggestions? Thanks. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, I found their site...I was able to read the company history...but not much else. Are there dealers stateside? I'd be interested in seeing the rifles. A good friend of mine speaks fluent Italian....where's he when you need him? Thanks, again. Gary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Antonio Zoli rifles are sold by Eduard Kettner and Frankonia in Germany.
Although i�m not a fan ( just by the look a like point) of CZ, i�ld give them first chance compared to the AZ Rifles.
AZ doesn�t build rifles in the big diameter, i think 9,3 is the biggest.
I never had a AZ in my Hands, but i think i don�t feel comfortable with them.

I�ve heared that RIGBY Systems where the same as the CZ MAgnum systems, even heared that rigby purchase them from CZ. But can�t verify this....i just heard of this.

P.S.
Frankonia will ship rifles to USA, but they don�t yet have a homepage:
Adress:
FRANKONIA JAGD
97064 W�RZBURG
TEL:09302 2079
OR FAX: 0930220202
This is the office of Frankonia which handle all "foreign affairs", like im and export.

P.S.
Antonio Zoli biggest cartridge is 338 WinMag.

Guns start at 766,43� and end at 1175,46�

<monz>
posted
The AZ 1900 is a replica of the Swedish Husqvarna 1900 which was made between 1968-79 I think.
The quality of the Italian made 1900 is not as high and constant as it was on the Swedish original. The fit between wood and metal and the wood quality is not the very best. The trigger system is not a hit either.
I think it�s made from kal .222 REM to 9,3x62 including .338 WIN Mag.
Although I find the 1900 a better choise than the CZ due to the smoother bolt action and the finish.
The CZ is not a bad weapon at all and its very much bang for the buck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
These AZ rifles, are the Push feeds or CRF?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curtis I think there CRF.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 9.3x62 for a number of years and I consider it the full equal of the great 375 H&H in killing power on Buffalo, elephant and Lion....I have used it on most game and with a 26" barrel it is a wonder...

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
The AZ is a push feed action. The controlled feed is higly overestimated. The push feed will do the job with equal result.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray what do you think of the 9.3x64 ??

How hard is brass to get for this caliber??

one of us
posted Hide Post
9,3 x 64 appeared almost dead for some time; now it is meeting with new (albeit limited) interest. Especially the Russians are fond of it, both as a hunting cartridge and for a new semi-auto sniper rifle; comparatively cheap steel-cased ammo is made by I think at least two Russian ammo manufacturers. I would have to look up who else makes cases besides RWS. Norma doesn't.

Regards,
Carcano

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem is what is easy to get for you Americans and Europeons is much harder to get here Australia, waiting, ordering etc.

[ 06-14-2002, 01:58: Message edited by: PC ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monz:
The AZ is a push feed action. The controlled feed is higly overestimated. The push feed will do the job with equal result.

I have no doubt of that, I really don't get very flustered about the CRF/PF debate until I start looking for a tool to go stomp buff, ele, et al.

I was just curious since the pictures on the website looked like they were using old '98 actions. Anyway, thanks for the answer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, as far as "hard to get" goes, think of the formidable 9,3 x 65 R Brenneke, the rimmed sister of the 9,3 x 64 (built for heavy double rifles) - harder to find them than a living Dodo or Steller's Seacow.

I rejoiced when i recently saw an add for a Drilling with a 9,3 x 65 R barrel - but it turned out it only was the old 9,3 x 65 R Collath :-(.

Regards,
Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
I have used the 9.3x64 a bit and its an extension of the 9.3x62...You will get perhaps 150 to 200 FPS more velocity....It will work in a standard lenth action and it has a lot going for it in that it is the most powerfull round you can get in a standard lenth action.It is the full equivlent of the 375 and a better all around cartridge than the 375...It is a wonder....

All that said, brass is expensive and hard to come by in the USA and the 9.3x62 is a lot easier on the recoil dept that I just gravitated to the 9.3x62, but everytime I answer one of these questions I wonder why the 9.3x64 isn't the most popular round in the world...There is simply no reason for it not to be. I also wonder why I don't build another one. Maybe I will.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Pre64>
posted
One minor update to Konst's post concerning 9.3 components. I recieved an email response a couple of weeks ago from Dynamit Nobel-RWS that the 226gr DK bullet has been discontinued, at least here in the States. I had only asked about the 226 so I don't know if any others were squelched. If you're curious try:

www.dnrws.com

<Cobalt>
posted
Last year, I had my CZ550 9.3x62 rechambered to the 64 and a matte blue finish applied. A buddy dolled up the stock with an ebony grip and end cap and recut the checkering. It is a sweetheart to shoot, recoil being way less than the .416 REM and just a bit more than the .35 Ackley Whelen. With a 3-9X40 Leupold, it just may be my all time fav. CZ rings still a little high. Brass is readily (?) available. I have a source in Munich who sends it to me via airmail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If possible could someone please post a Picture of a 9.3x64 round.

Cobalt I would love to see a picture of your CZ.

Ray this round sounds very interesting the best of both worlds it seems out of the .338 & the .375

<Cobalt>
posted
PC,
Check out the reloading pages on this forum for a pic of the 64. I will post a pic of the rifle when I can borrow a digital camera. Cobalt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Cobalt, I look forward to seeing that CZ. Give me some ideas for future projects. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a wildcatter but if one wanted a super gun I believe I would neck the 338 Win. case up to 9.3...lots of brass and it should beat them all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder ray if someone could do a quick load simulation on this (.338 win mag case necked up to 9.3) this would sound like an easy conversion to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You now how there are some wildcats based on the .458 win mag case ie. the .416 taylor etc. Would it be possible to neck down the .458 case to 9.3 (or case with that capacity). Even the .375 H&H case necked down to 9.3.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would seem to me that if the velocity limits of the common 9.3's were exceeded by any significant amount, that the bullets would begin to have problems. A bullet built to perform well in a 9.3x62 might open up too quickly in a 9.3/338. Are the bullets used in the 9.3x64 stouter in their construction?

If you wanted to retain the beltless "benefits" of the 9.3x62 and 64, I'd look that the Rem Ultramag case (a 404 derrivative), or the Win Short Magnum case.

That might be a nice factory found for Winchester. Ku-dude

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a good idea, so what your saying is that necking down the .404 jeff case would work better than the .416 rem mag case of .458 win mag case??

[ 06-16-2002, 11:33: Message edited by: PC ]

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,

An other option could be a Ackley shoulder angle to have a faster bullet with same brass and with same quantity of powder.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
That sounds like a good idea, so what your saying is that necking down the .404 jeff case would work better than the .416 rem mag case of .458 win mag case??

Re-inventing the wheel :-).
Such a cartridge existed already 70 years ago. It is the famous DWM round 9,3 x 70 Magnum, described in extenso on Harald Wolfs's Hatari Times website, as a PDF file:
http://www.hataritimes.com/d/waffen/9,3_dt.pdf

The comparable 9,5 x 66 vom Hofe Super Express is a rather recent Gehmann development.

Regards,
Carcano
carcano91@hotmail.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.5x66 Vom Hofe ?? who on this forum owns one??

This sounds pretty good!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad article but I can't understand German [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I always though that the name Vom Hofe was the best of all for calibers.

I wonder if they sell well in Israel.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,
Not a bad article but I can't understand German[/QUOTE]

How can you tell that if you have understood nothing [Wink]

Try this link to translte from german to english

http://www.systransoft.com/

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only say that the 9.3x64 will hold its bullet integrity with the 286 gr. Nosler, all the woodleighs and the 320 gr. Woodleigh which was designed for the 360 No.2 double rifle...

The 286 Nosler Bal. tip surprisingly held up well in dry magazines and that stuff is hell and destruction on bullets even though it did come apart in the last reaches of the test box....I believe it would hold up on elk short of a going south shot...this leads me to believe that a 9.3/338 is a viable option...

On the other hand I've been having a long time affair with the 9.3x62, and not likly to change boats in this lifetime nor own another wildcat of any kind.