Find
Notify
Tools

elk bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Ok, we've talked about caliber & rifles for elk. What kind of bullets are you/have you used for your elk hunting & why? I thought this would be interesting as I got my buddy to give up using 180gr WW Silvertips last year, for Core-lokts or Nosler partitions in his 06 this season.
I have pretty much settled on Nosler P's in anything I hunt elk w/. They are pretty easy to get good accuracy w/ & I've never had anything that resembles a failure (bullet coming apart w/o hitting major bone).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Partitions exclusively for my elk hunting. Either the 210 gr in a 338-06 or the 260 gr in a 375 H&H, both with perfect results. My hunting partner, who is not a gun/handloading enthusiast, owns one rifle (an old FN Browning) in 30-06 and uses factory Remington 180 gr CoreLokt ammo exclusively. We both have been equally successful taking nice bulls each year we have drawn.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I've used a 210 Partition over 72 gr of 4350 in my .338 Mag A-Bolt with excellent results . Lots of knockdown power !!!! I also used (once) a 180 Speer Grand Slam in a .300 Mag on a 5x4 raghorn. It was climbing up the canyon about to go over, so I had to spine it. All I ever found was microscopic pieces of the bullet !!! The bullet did distroy the spine which in turn took out both lungs and the heart, but I never used that bullet again. Maybe any bullet would have disintegrated like that, but I trust my Partitions.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give the Federal High Energy 180 gr trophy bondeds a try. You won't be disapointed.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Nosler Partitions for years in 7mm, thirty and .338 rifles, with fine results. About the only "standard" bullets I have ever used on elk are 300 Sierra Game Kings from a .375 H&H at 2550 fps. They shed their jackets maybe 50% of the time but always penetrate well and yield a dead bull.

I'm a big fan of premiums on truly tough game like elk as I feel the small extra price is truly cheap insurance against bullet failure.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ah Bow, I had a sim. experience w/ a spine shot bull that sold me on the NP. A big spike bull running uphill about to top it. HE was running straight away, as I had jumped him while I was coming down the ridge on the opp. side. The bullet took him almost exactly between the shoulders. The 7mm 160grNP exited & destroyed the spine. Weird shot though as it missed the other internals. I was actually aiming to put the bullet a bit farther back, but?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speer 35 cal 250 gr Grand Slam leaves big holes and great penetration.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I've taken elk with 180 grain Winchester PP, but more with the Remington " Core-lokt". The "Core-lokt" has preformed well for me. These past couple of years I've handloaded 180 grain Hornady "spire-points", it's very accurate out of my Remington 700-- 30/06. It worked well on my 6x6 bull last year. I've never used Nosler partitions--never saw the need.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've generally used Partitions... like Frank N. said, they're cheap insurance. This year I'll be trying the 180 gr. Failsafes handloaded in my 300 WSM.

Brad

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I've been useing Noslar Part. in my 338s for about 16 years but switched to Swift A-Frames in 358 Griffin & Howe last year. Same results, dead elk an no trackin [Big Grin]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Marlin 1895SS for many years for close in work on elk with 405g Remingtons and 52g of 3031. One shot kills and no tracking. With my 35 Whelen I have flawless results with the 250g Hornady RN and the 250g Speer Hot Core. Saw no need to spend the extra $$$ on premium bullets for the Whelen. I use RL 15 and BLC-2 powder for my Whelen.

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I will use the North Fork bullets over all others, provided it groups well in my rifle, and usually it is the most accurate of the lot. Next in line is the Nosler Partition, Barnes X, Swift A-Frame. I have never had a failure out of any of them. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Stay with the Noslers or Barnes X you can rely on them for any game.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote