Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Black Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted
Giving some serious thought to a Fall Black Bear hunt in Northern Idaho.

I've been doing some research and contacting a few outfitters, but figured I would inquire here as it seems alot of you hunt bear.

Can anyone recommend a reputable outfitter/guide in Northern Idaho with a high success rate on large bear?

Pretty much open to any type of hunt...over bait, with hounds, spot and stalk. Don't think I could manage mules or horse as no experience.

Appreciate any assistance to get me pointed in the right direction.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I can set you up. I have an outfitter who spot and stalks black bears in the fall on private property. The big ones are there raiding fruit crops plus there is a pretty good chance at a colored bear. They took several over 7 foot square last season.

He does have very good horses, even a non rider will do fine. They are very well broke and used to greenhorns. Smiler

If you want more information please drop me an email.

aspenhill@triton.net

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done 2 fall black bear hunts with Elk City Adventures [2003 & 2004] over bait.
I killed a bear on both trips. I am planning on going back for a spring hunt this June.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can also recommend Elk City having hunted with them twice but they are under new ownership so you don't really have references to check before going up. Maybe wait until Tony gets back and book quickly for the following week. Big Grin
Also, I was up there late in the season with a couple of guys from the board last year and things were tough. It was unseasonably hot and the bears were almost totally nocturnal I suspect. Every other year, that area has been 100% or better (2 bear area) on bears but not last year. I organized the trip and for better or worse was the guy who got the bear. Still feel kinda bad about that. Frowner
The critters were abnormally skittish too. I think they see alot of local pressure and it definitely has an impact on their behavior. If you aren't dead quiet and still in the stand, and I mean totally silent, you may never see a dozen bears staying just out of sight.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

P.S. Tony, when you coming to shoot ducks with me over here?

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys! Aspen, I'll shoot you an e-mail to get more information.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John the new owners "Stitch" and Joannie were in camp on my last hunt. They are nice people, which is why we are going back in June.
It looks like I will be retireing next FEB [2006] so a trip to Egypt might be in my near future. I love to shoot ducks. Any other game over there to hunt?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450#2,

You are welcome to hunt ducks with me any time on the condition that you are my guest. Just let me know when you want to come. December is best for Ducks and Doves and March/April is fine for Doves and Sand Grouse.
Plenty of other animals to hunt but none to hunt legally. I have been offered "outfitted" hunts for Crocodile on Lake Nasser, Nubian Ibex east of the lake and Gazelles in the Western Desert. I was certain a portion of the fees were going to pay the local military to "look the other way" so I declined. I have also seen a few VERY fresh Leopard and Cheetah hides in the Khan al Khalili bazaar. I was told they were from Chad but there are rumors that small populations still exist here and subsist off the dwindling gazelle populations in Sinai and elsewhere. Very sad that these animals (if they really exist) are killed for probably $50 wholesale.
The Duck and Dove hunting is fabulous though (and legal)!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote