New
Find
Notify
Tools

So who makes the better rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reading lots of posts lately about rifle manufacturers and who thinks makes the best rifle. I am interested in getting another rifle in the distant future and was interested in the comments you all have to say about the american rifles only. I am the type that would much rather buy american. Plus the looks in my opinion of the remington and winchester are better than some of the others. I would like to get a rifle for varmints and small game and I like the remington vls and the winchester-maybe the coyote, who knows? Right now my only gun is a Remington BDL SS in 7mm Mag. It is accurate (about .75-just under an inch) and I am pleased overall with it, considering that I got it with a leupold vari x II 3x9x40 on top used. Supposedly with only about 20 rounds through it, for only 535 bucks. The gun looks brand new and bore is very new looking!! The only drawbacks I see are the cheap feeling synthetic stock it came with. Between ruger, winchester, and remington, who makes the better rifle as far as fit and finish as well as accuracy. I like accuracy as my first priority. The main ones I am researching are the Winchester coyote and the Remington VLS. Which will be more accurate in a .223 straight out of the box? Thanks a bunch. The reason I am asking is that I am young and poor and can't afford a mistake. Nathan

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nathan wrote: "The reason I am asking is that I am young and poor and can't afford a mistake. "

If that is the case, I would certainly go with one of 2 rifles you did not mention. Get a heavy-barreled Savage with an accu-trigger or a Howa Model 1500 Varmint -- and pocket the extra money you otherwise would have spent on the Rem-Ruger or Winchester.`

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I looked at savage, but doesn't the heavy barreled gun with the accutrigger weigh like 12 pounds without a scope. I would like one that weighs less than 10 in all so it is easy to carry all day in the field walking around and shooting whatever. Thanks again.

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a close look at the CZ "American" modern mauser with the best features of the M98 & M70.

In all honesty when I compare my $2000AUS Rem VSSF to my $1000AUS CZ's the Rem looks as if it was put together by Kindergarton kids (finish etc.)

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consistant accuracy under one MOA is possible with a sporter rifle, but more easily attained with a heavy barreled varmit rifle. I know lots of people who own sporter weight rifles by all the major makers that will do this. Almost all of them handload their ammunition and have had their rifles tweaked, i.e. glass bedded, free floated, triggers reworked or replaced, and, in a few cases rechambered and/or recrowned.
Gun Tests magazine has had better consistancy with factory ammo with both Remingtons and Winchesters than anything else, but Savage, Ruger and other makers have shown this potential.
Off hand, I'd say go for a stainless barreled rifle over a CM one. As far as fit goes, you need to try them yourself.
You might also consider a Remington BDL in .223. They come with a 24, magnum contour barrel, not their 22 inch sporter weight. Stainless Rugers come with some very good synthetic and laminated stocks these days. Their barrels now compare with anybody's. Savage's crappy stock triggers can be replaced by several after market, fully adjustable triggers. Lots of choices. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote