Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Beeman,

quote:
I rate antlers as "gret bigguns", "damn nice", "not bad" and "aww I was meat huntin' and these eat better".

+1 tu2 love it

And most of mine (antlers) get thrown in a big box in the shed.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well not to pick sides or anything but Trophy fish are fabricated from molds now and you just send in the fish measurements with a photo and they produce one as close as possible to your original with close meaning rounding up. I can see the attraction to improving the trophy especially if there is a broken tine but I wouldn't add more than that of its opposite side in length. Assuming that this bull in question had an estimated score it must have been based upon existing equal lengths from the opposite side so now to gain OAL points does raise the question.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the same guy can fix this bull?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The man shot it. He paid to shoot it. It’s his property now. If he wants to have tines fixed or glue on extras, so what? If he wants to spray paint it red, white, and blue, why would anyone care. The rack is not score-able so why concern yourself about it. Hell he could mount the rack on a baboon if he wants. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how would you score this:

And if I bought one, would I loose my AR membership?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:

LOL Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only if it was a high fence "harvest". High fence being anything over two feet.....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have all wished that the animal had a better rack but what you shoot is what you get just be thankful that you can still hunt at all

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being from South Dakota I have seen literally thousands of them and that is absolutely the biggest one I have ever seen. Definitely a new world record.

But the questions have to raised if it is truly legit.
Wink

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well not to pick sides or anything but Trophy fish are fabricated from molds now and you just send in the fish measurements with a photo and they produce one as close as possible to your original with close meaning rounding up.
Do they not ever use the actual fish anymore for a mount? I don't want one where you just give them a photo. What would be the point in that...

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:

He's still in velvet, don't shoot him...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I would only repair a rack if the animal broke the tine or horn in a fall after the shot (and with the original piece) B&C will score and accept those for entry by the way...but apparently, they only score to the point of the break so I guess all they are saying is "we won't invalidate a trophy that has been repaired"?

"DAMAGED AND/OR REPAIRED TROPHIES
Prior to January 1, 1980, the Club did not accept any repaired trophies for the records books. After that date, however, the Records Committee agreed to accept repaired trophies for the records books on a case by case basis. Trophies that have been repaired can be accepted by the Records Committee if the owner or the Official Measurer identifies the repair, and if the repair is made with original horn or antler material. The Committee still reserves the right to reject any repaired trophy, at the Committee’s discretion.
When scoring any trophies that have been repaired, no portion of the repaired material can be included in any measurement nor can any allowance be made for lost material. For example, measurements of repaired points or main beams can only be taken to the point of the break.
When measuring horns, no allowances can be made for missing horn material. For example, there are frequently large chunks of horn material missing in the area where the D-2 circumferences are taken on desert sheep. This damage probably occurs when sheep are sparring with each other. If a D-2 circumference falls on the damaged area, the circumference is still taken through the damaged area by wrapping the tape snugly around the horn.
Cat and bear skulls are also prone to being damaged. Some damage occurs naturally when bears are sparring with each other. More frequently, however, skulls are damaged when trophies are shot in the head. In any event, measurement of damaged skulls must include only the intact, unrepaired portions of the skull.
Older deer racks often have a varnish coating. It seems that varnishing trophies must have been a common practice in the “good old days,” since it seems it is generally only older racks that surface with varnish on them. Because all velvet must be removed from antlers before they can be measured, people may assume all varnish must be removed from antlers before they can be officially measured. This is not so. Basically, the antlers can be scored, so long as the varnish doesn’t have any effect on the final score. However, if there are pockets or spots of thick varnish that affect any measurements, the varnish must be removed before the trophy can be officially measured."