Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for whitetail book
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I have books and books, but not a single one on whitetail hunting. Working on the 'ol Christmas list. [Big Grin]
What do you think is the most comprehensive whitetail book???

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO-the book by David Morris is about as good as it gets.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
David Morris has some good books, I have (2). They are more for the rifle hunter than the bow hunter.
1. Advanced Stratagies for Whitetails
2. Hunting Trophy Whitetails

Greg Miller writes the best pure hunting books on whitetails that I've seen. They lean more towards the archer but the tactics would carry over into rifle hunting. I have (3) of his books. All are excellent!
1. Aggresive Whitetail hunting (my bible!)
2. Proven Whitetail Tactics
3. Rub Line Secrets

Mike Biggs has THE BEST books on whitetails as far as pictures go. Many of the photos in magazines are from him. These books are outstanding. They show pictures that will help you field judge (score) bucks. They also show several bucks with pictures taken 4, 5 or more years in a row from similar angles. This shows how the bucks rack progressed through the years on into the latter years when the get smaller. I have (2) of his books.

1. Amazing Whitetails
2. The Whitetail Chronicals (This one shows bucks through the years}

[ 11-21-2003, 20:29: Message edited by: Iron Buck ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like hunting superbucks, by kathy etling

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 3:

"Shots at Whitetails" by Larry Kohler
"Hunting Trophy Deer" by John Wootters
"Big Bucks the Benoit Way" by Bryce Towsley

All about different styles of hunting and all drawing upon lifetimes' worth of knowledge.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Besides buying a book which is fine check with your public library. Most have a cyberspace connection with books that you can get free from many other libraries.

We can enjoy and learn something from many such books. One of the oldest that I got from the library was "Still Hunting" by Van Dyke.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
Besides buying a book which is fine check with your public library. Most have a cyberspace connection with books that you can get free from many other libraries.

The last thing I need is my brother checking out a book for my Christmas present! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] (I'll bet he wishes he would have thought of it!!)

You are right though. When I was active duty, the post library would do inter-library loans for free. I would give the title of ANY book I wanted and a week or two later, I would get a call that is was there and ready to be picked up for 6 weeks. I think most public libraries charge if they have to go outside of their "system" to get you a book. But it is surprising what is in some libraries.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Though not a hunting text per-se, "Whitetail Country" from NorthWord Press by Daniel Cox and John Ozoga is quite possibly the finest natural hisory on the whitetail... well written with fine photography. If I could have only one book on the whitetail (I've got a couple dozen) this would be it.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] It shouldn't be hard to find a book on Whitetail, or Whitetail hunting! There are probably more books written about that subject than any other hunting subject in the USA! The real task is to seperate the wheat from the chaff, as everyone who has ever seen a whitetail seems to have written "THE" book on that subject! It would take about three lifetimes of reading to seperate them by any form of quality!

I guess, if I were to try this I'd just pick any one of the books written by someone who I respected their hunting abilities, no matter what they hunt. IMO, some of the best books on this subject are written by well known bow hunters. They have to get close to be successful, and that traslates into good hunting practices, no matter the tool used to take the deer. Additionally the Bow hunter, has to know the habits of the deer, more so than the rifle hunter, so his input would be valuable for the rifle hunter, in picking a place to make a stand, or where to find deer traveling at given times of day, and year!

Good luck, and happy holidays! [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
....The real task is to seperate the wheat from the chaff, as everyone who has ever seen a whitetail seems to have written "THE" book on that subject! It would take about three lifetimes of reading to seperate them by any form of quality!

Exactly my problem! The hard part is finding a "Good" one!!! [Eek!]