Find
Notify
Tools

30+ inch Mule deer and a tiny elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted

The above photos are of my deer and elk from a second season hunt in Colorado this past October. The deer complete a 20 year quest for a 30 inch mule deer. He is just over 30 inside spread and was taken from a private ranch alfalfa field near Howard, Colorado. I was shooting a Ruger MarkII in 338 topped with a Leupold 3.5x10AO and loaded with factory Federal Barnes 225 grain ammo. The shot was from 282 yards and resulted in a DRT. That was my 96th deer of my career that began in 1974. He will score in the high 180s.

The elk was the first legal bull to get in range. My guide, Bill Cantebury, spoted that bull and another similar sized 4x4 about 3000 yards away up on Nipple Mountain near Howard, Colorado. We had ridden about 8 miles into a drop camp the evening before to pack out an elk for one of his clients and Bill wanted me to go and hunt a bit that morning before we packed out. About dark it began snowing and dropped about 6 to 8 inches in the high country and was was colder than a North Dakota well digger's butt in the morning. We hiked out from a high wall tent camp and were trying to catch elk in some high parks that morning. We saw two nice 6x6s, but they were over 900 yards away and made dark timber before we could get to them. The bull I shot and his companion fed down a steep ridge and after an hour and 45 minutes finally fed within 200 yards. I used the same rifle and ammo to shoot him and he only ran about 30 yards before piling up. The trophy from that hunt wasn't the animal, but the effort it took to get him and get him out. We now had two elk, one to be quartered, eight miles as the crow flies to get to the trailhead and it was 10:00 a.m. We finished with my elk and got him loaded at noon. Because we had to use my horse as a pack animal, we now had to walk out. Thank God it was mostly down hill. We made it to the truck and trailer at 4:00 p.m. tried, sore and thristy but in time for a hot shower and dinner back at the ranch. It was a great hunt in some beautiful country and I hope to go back next year for a trophy bull.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Nice muley!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the deer and elk. I'd have been happy to see an elk like that! I just finished a 4th season hunt, didn't see one deer or elk where I hunted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the story and pics now i need to get one of each rotflmo

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
That is one awesome buck Eeker

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Congrats on both animals, but I'm diggin that mulie buck Perry. Holy crap what a buck.

So, what's your take on the Barnes ammo? Was that the TSX bullet?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Dang Perry, what a deer!

Sounds like a great hunt.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real nice mulie buck you got there!

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Mulie!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt.........and WHAT a mulie!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
GREAT BUCK congrats...TH

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Perry:

I hope you have a COUPLE of freezers!!!!!

Congrats. Gorgeous Mullie.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great hunt.

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you, nice work; I particularly like the muley, being a fanatic, I'll bet he'll gross really close to 190....

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just shows the 338 win mag is the perfict elk gun and awesome for deer also.I have taken 95 deer with my 338 win mag.It tears up less meat than any 270 I have ever seen.That will most likely be an awesome eating elk.I have gone back to meat hunting instead of horn hunting.My walls are full of deer and i love deer and moose.You cant eat the horns no matter how long you boil them!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congrats on both animals. Mule deer are my most favorite animal in the world and you just got a world class animal. Any elk is a good elk and the 338 is good for everything. Good job.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PWN375:

You shot my dream mule deer, darn you!!! Congratulations, I'm on the same quest!

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck of a Mule Deer!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from church.... 'thou shalt not covet thy neighbors mule deer' I keep telling myself...

Someday I hope to have that deer's twin on my wall!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
extremely nice buck there---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Way to go PWN! thumb

Great stuff, and the muley is a real keeper. Congrats...sounds like you earned it!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Nice going Perry!
Well done,

John

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Members,

Thanks for the kind comments and congrats. The buck should make a beautiful mount and addition to the my collection. This mule deer hunt was easy, but the miles, hours and money I have spent over the last 20 years chasing these guys eased my guilt a bit. Now I need a wall hanger elk, but I like eating them too much to pass on legal bulls.

Doc,
The bullets were TSX and worked great. They are very accurate in that rifle. Total penetration with good expansion on both critters. I have used the old X bullets in 338 in the past and they always worked well. In fact, last year I killed a slightly larger racked bull in the same area with a 411 yard shot and got nearly end-to-end penetration. I usually don't like to shoot that far, but it was the best shot I was going to get on the last evening of a hunt and the conditions were perfect, I knew my range exactly, knew the bullet drop and hit exactly where I intended to.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geat buck! nice bull

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
What a muley! Congrats on a great hunt and super trophy.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Perry! One for the wall and one for the pot. I'm envious.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote