New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musk Ox
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone on this board ever hunt Musk Ox? I am thinking about a February journey to the NWT to get the hell away from the Olympic crowds here in Salt Lake City.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MuskOx hunting is more of an experience than a hunt. I drew a permit and am going this spring here in Alaska. Average hunt last about two days. You drive a snowmachine out and spot for them, then "sneak" up and shoot one. Perhaps in NWT you will spend more time looking for a large one. Here in Alaska the bulls rarely grow to a very old age due to the hunting pressure on a limited number of animals.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted one John but they're on my list!! I was just looking at a hunt the other day and was surprised how reasonable they were. Half what a moose hunt runs. I liked that.
Please let me know who you booked through. I'm thinking of taking my son for a graduation present.

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crosshairs,

What outfitters have you looked at and for what kind of money?

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
I'll drop you a note off line.
Cross

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote