New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Hunt advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Son and I are planning a Bear hunt in Maine for the fall season of 2009. I have no idea of how to select an outfitter. Can someone give me some advice on how I might go about this? Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to help out a fellow New Yorker! Smiler First, I would suggest that you go to the "Maine Professional Guides Association" website. They list names, addresses and telephone numbers of their members. Next try to decide where to go in Maine for black bear. I personally will tell you that years ago, Northern Maine was where to go. It may have changed and so I suggest talking to a number of Maine guides. (I'm still quite sure that it's whether you want a crack at a big bear or whether you will settle for any bear at all because you have a better chance of a shot -It's like whether you want to hunt in the Adiroundacks for deer or go to the Catskills where there are lots of deer and better chances for a shot but the deer simply are nowheres near as big as in the Adiroundacks. Thus be wary about lower or Southern Maine for bear if you're looking for a 300+lb black. Ask them where is the recommended lodge to stay at. (Yeah, they probably have a tie-in, or are running their own camp but that's the way it works) You can also shop for lodges on the internet. You could take a look at the Bradford Camps. (No, I never stayed there but knew a number of people who did and they had high praise -but that was years ago so my info may be outdated)

If a guide is touting his own camp set up - ask detailed questions. Believe me, you may otherwise find yourself in conditions little better than pitching a camp yourself in the woods. OK, I exaggerate - but not too much. Good Luck. (Me? I always went to Canada for blacks) Smiler

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smoker1:
My Son and I are planning a Bear hunt in Maine for the fall season of 2009. I have no idea of how to select an outfitter. Can someone give me some advice on how I might go about this? Thanks, smoker1

Actually, I've been to Maine. I've also been to New Brunswick. My advice is, if you're willing to go to Maine, stretch your trip a little further and go to Canada. The bears are bigger, and your price is about the same.

I spoke with a lot of Maine outfitters before I ever went. I did enjoy the hunt there, but the bears, overall, are small. Less than 200 pounds with 150 being average.

I had a friend who just went back to NB and he and his girlfriend both killed bears around the 300-350 pound range.

Contact Deb at upperoxbow.com if you are willing to consider this.

In Maine, I hunted with Josh Rhodes, and I would do it again, however there is another AR member who did not like his hunt at all.

Josh's website is blackbearhunting.us

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gerald and Doc. I appreciate your time to write. I have both of your outfitters and will attempt to contact them. Thanks again, smoker1 PSD Where in NYS are you Gerald?

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

Speaking of bear, I don't recall seeing a report on your BC hunt with Roy?? Did I miss it?? -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoker 1

I'm in Long Island (but originally a Putnam County boy) Doc has said some things I hesitated to say because it's been about 15 years since I hunted blacks in Canada and never hunted blacks in Maine. (His figures also square with NY black bears -although I personally saw a black that dressed out at over 350 lbs and shot in the Catskills (near Livingston Manor) It is true that bears are bigger in Canada than in the northeast US. (Heck! Everything's bigger including deer and I saw porcupines that were twice the size of any I had seen in the States) I only wonder whether there may be border crossing difficulties (since 9/11)and all kinds of paperwork involving firearms -but I'm sure others can help out with info on that and, perhaps Doc can answer that. If you do switch to going to Canada I can offer some specific recommendations for a bear hunting guide and lodge in north central Ontario (Nipissing District -just east of Algonquin Provincial Park)

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I have been to several Canadian provinces since 9-11. No problems, just fill out the necessary firearm paperwork and get a passport.

Tony, I did not write a report on my hunt with Roy.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Doc,

See the PM I sent you. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Tony, PM replied to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Requested a brochure from Upper Oxbow. Their site looks very nice. They would be ~850 miles from me so if I do the hunt I would probably fly....if that's possible. I'm in the western part of NYS south of Rochester. Good to hear firearms won't be a problem. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, the only problem is you'll have to fly into Moncton, Fredericton, both in NB, or Presque Isle, Maine. All take about a 2 hour drive to get to camp. I think all of them will take you at least 2 stops to get there also.

I'm going to PM you also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, recieved the brochure from Upper Oxbow and all looks very nice. I asked for some Bear referals but got one for Bear and all the rest for fishing. Hope Debbie sends me more as I would like to contact some of the hunters. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted Hide Post
Smoker1, check these guys in Canada, I've hunted with them in 2006. A lot of bears! And very nice people to deal with. Here is their web site: http://www.northernpineoutfitters.com/bear.htm
I took a 400 pounder there. Traveling with guns is not a problem at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much aholz, I'll give them a look. Did you drive or fly? smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted Hide Post
Sorry for a late respond. We flew to Edmonton,AB rented a minivan and drove about 5 hours. No problems with TSA, however, on the way back Canadian security insisted to take ammo out of the rifle case and put it into our checked laggage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Bear. Congrats!!! Talked to Leona on the phone and got her brochure. Have added it to the few I have kspt. Thank you very much, and again great Bear! smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson