THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Weatherby 300 Mag owners: effects on game?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby 300 Mag owners: effects on game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I'm wondering what the heaviest bullets you have used are, and how they performed on game?

thanks

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I 've done once a "ass" shot on a running away warthog at barely 20 meters (I know, I shouldn't have done this, but I couldn't help it, it was reflex!) with 200 gr nosler partition in Weatherby's factory load. The bullet took away approximately 1.5 kg of tissues, and there were TOTALLY missing the last 30 cm of the vertebral column . The bullet was pulverized and I couln't find the smallest piece of it...
Incredible power for such a small bullet.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Bily Lovec>
posted
all i have used on game has been the 180 grain barnes X bullet. It has performed flawlessly on animals up to 750 lbs...

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have witnessed many of our clients down game with the .300 WBy using mainly premium soft points ranging from 180 grs to 220 grs. Given the impact velocities coupled with the sub 100 m ranges that most game is taken in the bushveldt I reccomend the 220 grs Nosler partition. I the right hands it is a good combonation. I have also seen clients shoot Eland up to 7 times with the 180 grs X bullet with little or no effect until a head shot downed the old bull. Pick your shot well.

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-12-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
alekojjensen:
Does the increase from 180 to 220 grains make a substantial difference in effectiveness, in your opinion, on game, or, your observations on game?

Thanks
gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I like the 220 however by popularity 180 king The 220 out penetrates the 180 by a good margin especially on the heavier bodied antelope

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
I'm to the point that I only use 180 gr Nosler Partitions in my 300 wby. They've performed great on shots from 40 yards to 450 yards with great accuracy. Game taken with that combo are Elk (2), Black Bear (2), Whitetails, Hogs, Zebra, Kudu, Blue & Black Wildebeest, Springbok, Gemsbok & Black Backed Jackel. All with the same bullet under various conditions.

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Last September I used a 300 Wthby with 200 grain Nosler partitions on over a dozen critters in RSA and Namibia. Size ranged from springbok to kudu. Average range about 150 yards, nearly all shots broadside. Everything was a one-shot kill and nothing went further than about 65 yards. Other than the kudu and gemsbok, nothing was really a test for the bullet/cartridge combination. I went with the 200 grain as it was the most accurate out of this particular rifle when compared to 180-grain Noslers, Barnes X, and Fail-Safe.

The Nosler PT did what I've seen them do each and every time I've used them in the past: The front end expanded rapidly and produced quite a bit of damage, the back end held together and provided ample penetration.

All of my shots were broadside and all bullets penetrated completely through, so there was nothing to recover. I would not hesitate to use this combination on elk, moose, eland, wildebeest, or big bears.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote