New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 260 Rem. and Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 260 should be adequate with a few conditions. Most any caliber will work with a good broadside shot to the lungs at close range. These type of shots are not very common (at least not on public ground here in Montana). Shot placement is very important. Heavy bullets of solid construction will definately help.

I know a couple of people that use rifles as small as the .243 (or even the 22-250) and some who believe anything less than a 375 Weatherby mag is unethical. I think the majority of hunters here carry the 270, 30-06, 7mm Mag, 300 Winchester or something similar.

Remember that every shot is different and has a multitude of factors that affect how much gun is needed. You may have to pass up some shots with a 260 that you could take with a 300 Win Mag. To me the bottom line is knowing the capabilities of your rifle\cartridge, your shooting ability, and the toughness of the animal, and passing on shots that are marginal.

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I appreciate the feed back. Living in the midwest,I have never hunted elk, what with family, and work obligations. I was curios to see what kind of performance it gave on animals that size. Any other users of the 260 and their experiences would be appreciated. Like I said, I have found it very effective on the animals I get to hunt.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote