Find
Notify
Tools

Sportsman Warehouse Anchorage a joke
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
Well I was down at the sportsman warehouse today checking things out like I normaly do whe I go in there and it never surprises me the shit I hear... Today the guy working the gun counter told this this one fellow his dad used a M1A in the korean war and to top it off he said his dad a made 1800 yd killing shot with it, in the war Eeker For those of you that don't know the M1A or the M-14 as it is called in the Armed forces wasn't even around in 1950-1953... Last week another guy try to tell me the 500 S&W would make a great 300yd pistol if one put a scope on it.. Eeker Well now that I'm armed with were some of the local gunshops are, I think I will try them out... It is a shame the sportsman warehouse has a nice browning a-bolt in a 325 wsm on sale oh well.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well heck buy it,, it is not like they are going to taint the dang thing.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post

Well Sportsmans Whorehouse is a big box gun shop. I have only been in a couple tha had sales staff worth a fuck. They don't pay very well and most of the idiots that work there are idiots.

The one in Casper Wyoming has about 2 good staff for the 25 or 30 people they employ.

Real gunshops are more knowledgeable.

Now for the rest of the story, why in the heck would you buy a Browning? Let a lone one in 325? Trying to look like a chechako already?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear there's some bozo's there. Our store out here in California has some great staff. Some of them left here to start up the Wassila store. I know it's a bit out of the way from Anchorage but you might give that store a try. Good luck. At least you live in a great place with great hunting. I love it there.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
What in the heck is a chechako?? I was in a sportsman warehouse in Bend oregon a 3 weeks back looking at some bows and the kid was trying to tell me something and I said hey I didn't fall off the watermelon truck today and I know my bows LOL well he was kind of pissed at me oh well.. Nothing wrong with the 325 now the browning maybe I just need to find a good load for my 308 norma mag using a good 180 slug..

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
http://www.yourdictionary.com/cheechako

In Alaska it is used to denote anyone who hasn't spent a winter in Alaska.

Though a lot of folks who live in the Bush think it refers to folks in Anchorage and Juneau who never leave the city.

After you have been there a while you will learn a lot of Alaska lingo.

But here's a short course.

Sourdough: refers to Alaskans that are solid proven outdoorsmen in the Bush, but it's generally those who have lived in Alaska for a long time.

Bush: of course is the areas of Alaska that you can't drive to. Or anyplace outside of Anchorage to some.

Sno-go, Sno-Machine, Sled: is what snow-mobiles are called in Alaska.

Outside: refers to the lesser 48. Alaska is part of the continental US, but not part of the continuious US or lesser 48.

Bullchitna: BS.

Termination Dust: The first, light dusting of snow on just the mountain tops.

Arctic Entry/kunychuk: mudroom

Alaskan Sneakers: Waders

Permafrost: a good part of the state is covered in ground that never thaws.

Combat Fishing: Casting a fishing line where 1500 other people are doing the same thing at the same time.

Breakup: the start of the tourist season, chimed in by the opening of ice on rivers.

Borough: What counties are called in Alaska.

Sundog: A large, noticeable circle around the sun on very cold days. Sun glasses realy help here.

Bunny Boots: military style insulated rubber boots, called Micky Mouse boots in the 1960's by the military.

Heater Plugs: An electrical plug protruding from the grill of your car/truck. Plug it into an outside outlet at home to keep your engine block warm overnight. Very handy!

Fireweed: The weed everyone loves. Grows anywhere it wants to in Alaska. Has pink flowers and in fall the leaves turn a fiery red.

Moose Gooser/ Moose bars: Grille gard.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should read the poem "The Ice Worm" by Robert Service .You should be able to find it online. That's how to separate the men from the chechakos !! rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
If you won't do business with a store that has poorly trained floor employees and worse service, you won't be doing much shopping anywhere today...........

Enjoy your time spent in Alaska!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't let an idiot behind the counter determine whether or not I buy a rifle from them. Who cares. You know what you want and you know about the product, so I say buy it!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Maybe the guy confused the M1 and the M1A.

The M1 Garand was the first semi-automatic rifle to be generally issued to the infantry in any nation. In 1936, it officially replaced the bolt-action Springfield M1903 rifle as the standard service rifle of the United States military (the M1903 retaining a valuable role as a sniper rifle), and was subsequently replaced by the select-fire M14 in 1957. However, the M1 continued to be used in large numbers until 1963, and to a lesser degree until 1966.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The M1 Garand replaced the P17 Enfield, the 1903 Springfield was not issued to as many folks as the p17 was. Regardless of what anyone beleives to be a superior rifle, the P17 saved our ass in WW1.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick class on alaskan lingo... I hope he was confused about rifles but come on now 1800yds open sights kill on a human no less... I might buy the rifle... going to look at the local gunshop around here...

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
If you won't do business with a store that has poorly trained floor employees and worse service, you won't be doing much shopping anywhere today...........

Exactly.

BTW, my Browning .308 shoots 3/4" groups all day long. Who cares if you don't like them?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My coworkers called me a flatlander in AK since I was from Louisiana. I liked Sportsman Warehouse for the fishing supplies. There was a couple of guys alway willing to help. I could not even get someone to wait on me at MountainView Sports.

Back in the early 90's there was a chain named Jumbo Sports in Lafayette LA. One evening I witnessed an idiot on each side of the counter get excited about the 44-40 revolver that could shoot both 44 magnum and 40 Smith rounds. After I explain the 44 caliber 40 grains of black powder designation they thought I was crazy. The next day I called the manager and supposedly he was fired.

one of us
posted Hide Post
alot of small gunshops arent much better,
i could go on and on with the B.S. stories these idiots used to one up each other with,
"i've shot 5 muledeer over 40 inches" i replied "man i would love take a look at them"
"all my pictures and heads burned up in a house fire" of course i should have guessed. his 7 stw "doesnt drop one inch out to 6 hundred yards" he shot an antelope in the hoof running full speed and killed it at 540 yards one shot. i had to ask how in the F@@* did you do that? 257 weatherby is going so fast it hydro'ed the heart. sent an enormous shockwave up artery and blew up it's heart, i still bought a bunch of guns there cause i liked the owner.