THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Experiences with the Speer 180 gr vs the Hornady 180 grain RNs

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with the Speer 180 gr vs the Hornady 180 grain RNs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are talking 30 caliber. And we are talking Round Noses, 180 grainers.

Just wondering if anyone has had any comparison of these two bullets on game?

Loading some up and don't ask me why, even tho I shoot a lot of Hornady, and their performance on game has always been excellent, the Speer 180 grain RN looks a lot more competent to me than the Hornady.

Hopefully a few are like me and tend to think one thing may look more competent than another.
Like a 2003 corvette will probably run circles around, and is more highly advanced and refined technologically than a 1967 Corvette with a 427 Tri Power. However which one looks more RIGHT???

If you know the answer to that one, then you know what I am talking about. If you picked the 2003 don't bother responding, you are missing the point! ( as Foghorn Leghorn says, " thats a joke son!") [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i killed my first 75 or so deer with a 30'06 bdl loaded with factory 180 corelok and all droped quickly.. corlocks are hornady bullets, just loaded 50 154 hornady round nose in my 7x57 that i'm going to deer hunt with this year.. i think round nose doo better on deer than pointed bullets

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a few grassy's with the speer 180 gr RN's and so far so good. I have not hit any major bones only through the chest so there was just a 1" exit out the other side. When I whop one thorugh the hips that will test them good.

I thought that the Hornady bullets would be of higher quality than speer bullets [Confused]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. I load the 154 RNs in my 7 x 57, although use the discontinued 170 Gr RN Sierra for an elk load ( just to have something different).

PC: You will have to enlighten me on what a Grassy is. Not familiar with all the exotic stuff that roams around in Australia. I use a lot of Hornadys, but I never thought they were superior over Speers.

If not just strictly visual, the Speers are always nice and clean and shiney when you open a box of them. Frequently I have opened Hornadys that looked like they had been rolling around the floor of someones pickup for a year or two before they were boxed. Just indicates a little more attention to quality and detail to me.

Of course Sierras are always the worse for being clean and not oily, however, they are always accurate that is for sure.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find them about equal, both very good bullets and the Hornady seems to me a bit tougher..but both work well...They are very popular in RSA...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Thanks for responding, I was hoping you would give your prospective.

Today I thought of a question I wanted to direct your way. I had heard that the PH in Africa, usually recommend a muzzle velocity of 2500 fps or so for hunting.

What is your opinion of that concept for hunting in the USA? I am not someone who really advocates shooting past 250 yds, in most instances, even tho, unlike a lot of guys I can hit something at 400 plus because I shoot a lot.

You can answer in email if you choose also. Thanks in advance!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire your right about Hornady's not being clean !! I have a box of 300 gr .375 RN's that look as though they have poo stains on them....

The speers do look as though they have wiped properly [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote